Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
SE Limited
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres the deal.. i hear that go by the factory octane.. then i hear if your car is turbo go for higher octane (which makes sense the turbo recycles exhust. so you would want a richer mixture of it to create a more powerfull explosion..) then i hear get higher octane for mods.. higher octane for better burning less shit in fuel you dont want.. higher octane for better gas milage.. so whats the deal? can someone explain this a little better because i dont think i want shitty 87 in my car.. its only had 87 once.. and never again.. ran shitty..but they say that use 87 for NA cars and youll get a quicker explosion for a faster acceleration.. i beleive that.. and i notice how well the car ran on 92.. smooth.. and i think but not sure that i had a better hp on the express way.. just my opinion.. so.. to the techs who can answer this.. what is best for what? because i know that id use 93 with octain boosters in the car with nitros if i had it.. but what about for everything else?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Use the lowest octane that doesn't ping. Thats it. No secret. Because of the additional heat of have N20/turbo/SC..., higher octane is needed to prevent pinging and to make up for pathetic/poor engine tuning.

Unless your timing is advanced, you should only need 87 or 89 octane. Sometimes higher mileage cars have carbon buildup in the engine(on pistons/heads/valves). This might require more octane because it increases the CR of the engine. A bottle of bg44k or a professional decarbon/FI cleaning could help with high octane addiction.

Summer heat might require the higher octane and winter cold weather is usually best with lower octane.

I ran both of my GA16's with timing advance 5+ degrees over spec. This required 92-93 during the summer, 89 during the fall/spring, and dinosaur pee during the winter. Never had a problem. I also run a bottle of redline water wetter. This seemed to allow me to avoid expensive gas. Only in the heat wave was I forced to run superduper gas. Bumping the timing also increased the MPG which made up for the cost of super during the hot weeks of summer.

High octane burns cooler and makes less power.
Low octane burns hotter and makes more power.
Octane is a bandaid for poor engine cooling, poor engine tuning, and poor intake temperature.

·
SE Limited
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!!! finally an answer i was lookking for!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts