Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
94 sentra xe, my gas needle is stuck on 1/4 tank always, i recently ran out of gas on the road, peice of shit, if anyone has any suggestions on what it could be please respond or email at [email protected]
thanks

·
Registered
547 Posts
It's hard to explain but I'll try. My dad told me about it. Mine did it for a while, except it was on 3/4 tank instead of 1/4. So anyways, there's a little ball/flotation device thing that is inside your gas tank. It measures how full your tank is...obviously. Well mine was weighed down and soggy, which will add weight correct? So it sinks further and further to the bottom...showing you that you have a certain amount of gas at all times, which isn't true. My dad told me to get a new one, but I don't know where to get one? Mine just kind of went away. It's fine now. Reads perfect amount of entered gas at all times. Sorry if that kind of gave you blue balls...ya know, lead you on but didn't finish! Damn I hate that. So anyways, I think you can find them at any local parts store, you may want to call around and/or ask. I would ask my dad but he's kind of out of town this week. It obviously didn't take him long, take it to Nissan (I know, EXPENSIVE)...either ask them how much one costs, how much it will take for them to fix it, or how long for a DIY project.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Changing the sending unit for the gas gauge is easy...

It's about a $40 aftermarket, $65 Nissan part....

Simply remove the back seat, and in the middle of the floor is a plate. 6 or 8 screws later, the cover will come off.

Remove the fuel lines CAREFULLY. Mine were frayed and needed to be trimmed and replaced... I think Nissan messed them up because of the two service orders I found for readjusting the sending unit under warranty from the previous owner.

Once the hoses are removed, 4 more screws and the sending unit is able to be picked up. It's bigger than the hole it has to fit through so, pull it up 2-3 inches, take a look at how it's sitting, and carefully pull it out of the tank. It's best to mess with this stuff with a near empty tank <under 2 gallons> so everything's not dripping gas everywhere. Also, you might want to consider getting a new O ring for the fuel level sender.

Have fun! :)

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sending Unit?

The sending unit you are talking about, is it the floating device that tells how much gas you have like the above post, or something different? thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re: Sending Unit?

Idlesage said:
The sending unit you are talking about, is it the floating device that tells how much gas you have like the above post, or something different? thanks.
Yep. It's a float in the tank that tells the gauge in the dash via a voltage signal, how much gas is left.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I RECENTLY CHANGED MY SENDER CAUSE I WAS HAVING GUAGE PROBS...LIKE WHEN I WOULD PUT IT IN 1ST AND ENGAGE THE CLUTCH IT WOULD CHOKE FOWARD ...BUT IT RECENTLY STARTED DOING THE SAME THING AGAIN AND THE GUAGE ONLY GOES DOWN WHEN THE CHOKE OCCURES...I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT IS MAYBE THE REGULATOR..I DONT KNOW!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts