Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was always hearing that the Sr20 got great gas mileage. The I go my car and I don't even get 200 miles on a full tank of 93 octane!

Could there be a bigger problem with my engine? I should also mention that I have a 5 spd (Shift at 3k maximum), and I don't do much if any highway driving normally. But even going up to north jersey with all highway driving I got just over 200 miles on a full tank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts
There must be something wrong. Usually on the highway you get great gas mileage. I know I do. I took a trip up to the local cruise spot adn it's about 40 miles or so, my tank showed that I was just on the first line of Full. Which was weird to me but it worked! And usually if I do all city driving I can get around 225 a tank. And I'm starting to run 91 now so I can advance my timing. See if anyone else knows?
 

·
neutral handling is cool
Joined
·
180 Posts
there is definitely something wrong...my 91 sr20 gets 27-32 mpg with mixed driving. It's a 13.2 gallon tank, so it's kinda small, but you should be getting much better than that. Check your EGR system, O2 sensor, TB and timing. I bet it's in there somewhere. Also, you should be idling around 800 as an indicator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gottabfast said:
there is definitely something wrong...my 91 sr20 gets 27-32 mpg with mixed driving. It's a 13.2 gallon tank, so it's kinda small, but you should be getting much better than that. Check your EGR system, O2 sensor, TB and timing. I bet it's in there somewhere. Also, you should be idling around 800 as an indicator.
The tank on the B15 SE's is 13.2 gallons too. I just got the car in july (From a Nissan dealership) and I still have about 3-4 years left on the factory wananty. In other words; I'm not even going to lay a hand on the car! To the dealership she goes!

Thanks for the help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I had the same problem. SE-R.net suggested cleaning the oxygen sensor so I did, and I got back up to the 33 mpg on the freeway that sr20 owners have come to know and love.
 
0

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
cburwell said:
I was always hearing that the Sr20 got great gas mileage. The I go my car and I don't even get 200 miles on a full tank of 93 octane!

Could there be a bigger problem with my engine? I should also mention that I have a 5 spd (Shift at 3k maximum), and I don't do much if any highway driving normally. But even going up to north jersey with all highway driving I got just over 200 miles on a full tank.
Check your O2 sensor, clean your throttle body, check your plugs/wires, check ECU for trouble codes, clean out your EGR system. How many miles are on the car? You may want to look at replacing the fuel filter as well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Ahahahaha.......could it be your driving?

I KNOW that's MY problem. I did a FULL tune up this summer (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, timing, MAF, TB cleaning + an O2 sensor last summer)...........my latest tank averaged just under 15 mpg. Looks like this one is going the same way.......I have 108miles on this tank, and it's just over 1/4.........but like I said, it's my driving.

SE-R's do NOT get good gass mileage with LOTS of full throttle work (especially top speed pulls....full throttle for minutes at a time REALLY kill mileage).

On the other hand, with the cruise set I can get a steady 25-26mpg at a steady 90mph (all the stock cruise will hold). Like I said...it's the driving.
 
0

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
BIGBULS said:
SE-R's do NOT get good gass mileage with LOTS of full throttle work (especially top speed pulls....full throttle for minutes at a time REALLY kill mileage).
Interestingly enough, I get my best gas mileage when I have my foot steady at between 90-110 (uh, not highly recommended or condoned by me). If I have a stretch of driving 90+ for 5-10 miles in a row, my gas mileage will go as high as 32 sometimes. However, it's usually somewhere around 28-30
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't drive that crazy. Depending on how I come home from school in the morning I might get on it till about 80-90mph.

I've done 1 top speed run since I have ad the car. The rest of my driving is moderate. I shift at or around 3k 90% of the time. The other 10% I shift at 4-5K and thatis if I am trying to pass someone.
 

·
S12 Fanatic
Joined
·
211 Posts
This is kind of obvious, but you also should thoroughly check for fuel leaks. Since gasoline is clear and evaporates quickly, you might not notice any puddles. When the mileage dropped in my old Datsun 200SX that was the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tsi200sx said:
This is kind of obvious, but you also should thoroughly check for fuel leaks. Since gasoline is clear and evaporates quickly, you might not notice any puddles. When the mileage dropped in my old Datsun 200SX that was the problem.
I'll check for that. If I do find a puddle should I lick it to see if it's gasoline? J/K. Thanks for the suggestion.
 

·
Aaaayh!
Joined
·
439 Posts
This is a bit of direction change, but many miles can you go after the fuel light comes on? Almost all of my driving is in town and i usually fill up at about 230 - 240 miles. I am pretty much on empty but the light never comes on. Just wondering how much further it can go. Hopefully the light works. That would suck thinking you still have gas because the light isnt on when it should have been on for 20 miles or whatever.
 
0

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
UpChuck said:
This is a bit of direction change, but many miles can you go after the fuel light comes on? Almost all of my driving is in town and i usually fill up at about 230 - 240 miles. I am pretty much on empty but the light never comes on. Just wondering how much further it can go. Hopefully the light works. That would suck thinking you still have gas because the light isnt on when it should have been on for 20 miles or whatever.
I've gotten up to 320-350 miles on a tank. I've heard that B13's have problems with the warning light not coming on though so I wouldn't take a chance. Pay attention when you fill up to how many gallons your car takes. I think we have a 13.5 gallon tank so see how much your car takes. Or, you could always drive past when you feel safe and see if the car runs out of gas ;)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top