Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gas mileage doubles when I go on the highway. Last tank I got 190 miles while driving around the city (a LOT of stop and go). I got 200 miles on half a tank driving on the highway. Is this a normal jump?

·
Registered
138 Posts
hmmm...... i can only get about 220mile to a gallon in the city. on the highway its about 300-400 though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My gas mileage was about 220-260 avg city driving. I moved to new city and the few places that I do go to has a lot of stops and go's. My milage has really suffered I was usually getting about 25mpg now I get like 18. At first I thought maybe my fuel system was getting clogged, But like I said I drove home and went 200 miles on half a tank.

Does anyone know of any good ways to get my mpg's back up? Should I look into getting my fuel system flushed. I've heard that some of the fuel additives are really bad for our cars (like STP, stc.). Is this true?

My car is a 96 and has about 75k.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The fuel meter doesn't measure consistently. I can go 75 miles from "full" to 3/4, 150 from full to 1/2, about 215 from full to 1/4, and around 265 from full to empty. I "should" be able to go 300 miles on a full tank if I only used the data from full to 1/2. My fuel needle just drops like a rock after it hits the 1/4 tank mark.

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Yeah that variation is normal. I actually got 42mpg once on a trip to NY with the CC on 65 and A/C on.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Fuel Additives can be bad if used a lot on our cars. The fuel meter can be off slightly but also remember that maybe your driving styles can change and you not notice. Like say one day you were in a hurry and were slammin the pedal every chance you get.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was just wondering because I have seen larger jumps in my gas mileage now more than ever. I thought that maybe I was needing to have some kind of fuel system flush or something.

·
Registered
21 Posts
my 91 SE has 171,000 miles and i get 36mpg avg street and highway. but my gas gauge is broken so as soon as i hit 300 miles i fill up. i pretty surprised how ts doin.

1,267 Posts
I only got 34mpg on my way back from atl this weekend, but I went 375 miles averaging 85-90mph, so I guess that's pretty good. I had to fill up at the gas station across rom my apartment as soon as I got back though, I didn't think I'd have enough gas to make it across the street by then, 11.5x gallons.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know but the SCC project car got 40mpg with all of the bolt on stuff done. I haven't heard anyone say they have gotten that good of mileage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
just made the trip from FL - MA - FL this past week (what a way to rack up 3000mi) and averaged 395 miles per tank about 36mpg. That of course was all I-95 averaging 70mph.

·
Nissan Fanatic since 1999
308 Posts
I get about 350-410 on every tank. I use the fuel injector cleaner when i change my oil and i use mobil 1 synt. You also want to clean your TB once or twice a year.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
I use fuel injector cleaner everytime i change my oil. I should be changing my fuel filter next week as i dont have time this week. I usually drive about 80-85 on the highway as if you go the speedlimit you seem to slow down others or get in their way.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts