Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gas mileage on forced induction.

This sounds like a stupid, question. Actually scratch that, they're no stupid questions, just stupid people, like me. What kind of gas mileage would one expect from a SR20DE engine customized with a turbo. I'm looking for a turbo system like the one on project SE-R. Although estimates for any daily driven application would do just fine. I'm just trying to see what i'd be getting into because i do use my car for daily driving.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
lshadoff said:
I kept track of highway mileage as I started modifying my car at 11,000 miles.
Stock it got 28-30mpg at 65mph.

I added a PR CAI and JWT POPcharger first which did not affect the mileage.

I then added a HotShot header (G2) and GReddy cat-back. This made off-the-line acceleration poorer (auto trans), but noticably better acceleration on the highway (mid-high rpm). Mileage at 65mph was again unaffected.

I then added the JWT ECU. Low end power and throttle response were improved, and the 65mph mileage was still about the same.

I then added JWT cams (S2) and had the ECU reprogrammed. Low end power was somewhat worse, but mid-high rpm was significantly better. Mileage dropped to 25-26mpg at 65mph.

In 2000 I went turbo expecting the cruising mileage to decrease. I took JWT's advice and rephased the cams to reduce the overlap to make the engine more detonation resistant. Mileage with the turbo setup is now 30-32mpg at 65mph.

I'm not going to try to explain all this. It's just what I observed.

Lew
hope this helps..........oh and your title should be force INDUCTION lol its ok. :thumbup: i just got all confused, but it got me in here!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1.6pete said:
hope this helps..........oh and your title should be force INDUCTION lol its ok. :thumbup: i just got all confused, but it got me in here!
Sorry, that's what a week on 5 hours a night will do to you lol. Hrmm, INCREASED? That's odd... but encouraging!

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
Terran200sx said:
Sorry, that's what a week on 5 hours a night will do to you lol. Hrmm, INCREASED? That's odd... but encouraging!
but remember he was on the highway..............so he wasnt boosting the entire time.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1.6pete said:
but remember he was on the highway..............so he wasnt boosting the entire time.
Hell, i get between 20 and 25 MPG but i also drive like a maniac, i'm sure my car needs a tuneup also.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
1.6pete said:
What I measured was the gas mileage while commuting 50 miles from my home to Houston. I drove 65-68mph with cruise on. The 50 miles included about 3 miles of city driving getting to and from the expressway.

I installed the 370 injectors and modified JWT ECU before I installed the turbo, and drove it that way for about a month. Performance was noticably down compared to NA, even though everything else was the same (except I bumped the timing to 19*). This is due to the conservative timing and fuel maps of the turbo program.

I think that the mileage increase was due to a combination of the backpressure of the turbo and rephasing the cams.

Turboing a car should not affect highway mileage as long as you don't accelerate so hard you are boosting.

Lew
[Did I get it right, Pete?]

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
Terran200sx said:
What about non-highway?+
well it would depend ALOT on your set up. don't have no idea what to tell you about turbo set ups but i know this. when you are boosting the comp sends more fuel for the added air, so im guessing the 2 variances are A. size of your turbo and time it takes to spool yup (longer it takes the longer you are off of boost..a duh! :thumbup: ) and B. how you drive, if your on it it will spool faster because more exhaust gasses are moving around, but if your light on the foot the exhaust is much lighter. i think the reason lew did the highway test is because not much changes on the highway (with out traffic) but in city driving you have hills, stop lights, peds., parked cars, blah! so its not really a controlled experiment

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
basically but if i were u id save the life of the tranny for when u need it, its to my understanding that once turbo charged a stock se-r tranny is just overcome with power and its a good idea to have the gase welded and internals cryotreated

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
accidently hit "post" anyway meant to type tranny case* and the point was why burn all that fuel and rip on your tranny just to risk gettin a ticket u got the power no need to floor it

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
Slacky said:
accidently hit "post" anyway meant to type tranny case* and the point was why burn all that fuel and rip on your tranny just to risk gettin a ticket u got the power no need to floor it
1. once you post you can edit your post.........no need to repost :thumbup:
2. the stock se-r tranny can handle 200hp easy!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1.6pete said:
mmm well i'm aiming for more then 200hp ;-), and really, who doesn't want to accelerate as fast as possible?

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
aminidab said:
It depends what engine/car he has, if he has an SER like in his nick and an SR20 engine, are you crazy? The tranny may not be extremely strong, but it can easily hold 200 hp. And the engine? 200hp is nothing on a boosted SR20.
fromthis thread

·
Registered
574 Posts
1.6pete said:
I wouldnt say easy. There are people NA that have broke trannies. Its all in how drive and even clutch selection not how much power you make. Cryo treating and case welding will only get you so far. Even aftermarket gear stacks from PAR are not the end all solution, they have problems of their own.

As far as gas mileage, its all in how you drive and your setup. Not every turbo car is the same.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nizzan4u2nv said:
...As far as gas mileage, its all in how you drive and your setup. Not every turbo car is the same.
as i said... 15mpg for me :dumbass:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts