Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me out here. Just started to smell gas in the cabin while driving and very high smell outside behind trunk door.

looked underneath and gas is leaking from a vent like tube behind canister.

97 Pathfinder

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,867 Posts
The part you are showing in the picture is a filter that keeps dust and spiders (or, at least tries to) out of the vent control valve attached to the evap canister, which is also in the picture. The one hose goes to the frame rail where it vents and the other hose goes to the vent control valve on the canister. P1441 is a small leak in the evaporative emission system code. The canister is filled with charcoal bits and is used to store fuel vapors from the fuel tank until a time when the engine is running and those vapors can be sucked into the intake manifold and burned in the combustion process. The vent valve is normally open, but the ECM will close it when it wants to test the evap system for leaks, using the evap pressure sensor. There shouldn't be any liquid gas inside the canister to the point that it is being seen coming out of the vent control valve filter because, as I said earlier, it's used to contain fuel vapors. Perhaps the fuel leak is above the canister, i.e. a rusted fuel line, leak at the filler neck or at the top of the fuel tank or fuel sender, and it is running down the hose to the canister filter?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The part you are showing in the picture is a filter that keeps dust and spiders (or, at least tries to) out of the vent control valve attached to the evap canister, which is also in the picture. The one hose goes to the frame rail where it vents and the other hose goes to the vent control valve on the canister. P1441 is a small leak in the evaporative emission system code. The canister is filled with charcoal bits and is used to store fuel vapors from the fuel tank until a time when the engine is running and those vapors can be sucked into the intake manifold and burned in the combustion process. The vent valve is normally open, but the ECM will close it when it wants to test the evap system for leaks, using the evap pressure sensor. There shouldn't be any liquid gas inside the canister to the point that it is being seen coming out of the vent control valve filter because, as I said earlier, it's used to contain fuel vapors. Perhaps the fuel leak is above the canister, i.e. a rusted fuel line, leak at the filler neck or at the top of the fuel tank or fuel sender, and it is running down the hose to the canister filter?
I’ll have to get under there and check but prior to this issue I had a p1441 code before and two months ago I did a smoke test on the system and found one of the lines past the fuel filter for the evap was leaking. Changed it and smoke tested with no leaks and code never came back.

Vapors were blowing out of the filter vent and then the next day I got a code. I’m not experiencing the heavy flow of vapors from the filter vent tube as I was before but you still smell some gas from it. And absolutely no where else is gas smelling but out the tube.

Im going to change out the vacuum cut valve and bypass valve. And also check back the parts you said. But the vapors were only coming out when the engine was running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts