Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so B12 sentras are supposed to have a 13.3 gallon tank right. If that's the case then I think my gas guage could be off. I fill up the tank, and my gauge reads over full, by about a 1/4 inch. I'll run it dry, to below empty where I think I could run out of gas at any minute. Then I go in for a fill up, and can only put in close to 11 gallons. Does this mean my guage is messed up? And if it is, how do I fix the thing?

Something else I've noticed.. Before I turn off the car, I'm at say a half tank, or any amount really. When I turn the car back on again later, my gas guage will read below where it was when I turned it off. Not too much, but it's definately noticable. I'm not on any hills or slants when this happens, because it occurs everytime. If someone has some insight on this, please help me. It's been a persistant problem that I'd like to know the answer to!

Thanks

-Foolio

·
Registered
539 Posts
My gauge goes a bit above full too upon a fillup, and over the 4 years I have had this car I have determined that 99% of the time that when it hits E that's about 10 gallons used up. It has always been very reliable for me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
ya thats the same with mine....actually my gauge goes all over the place it randomly changes up and down at times too....and i can be on the E or below the E for the longest time ever..i always think im gonna run out but nothing ever happens

B

·
0 Posts
Yeah I have the same problem with my sentra as well. The arrow will just stay at E or right below and you can keep driving for quite sometime. I drove 50 miles one time when the gauge was at zero, but then I filled 'er up cuz I didn't want to run of gas. People always get freaked out when they ride in my car cuz then I'll drive for a long distance and they keep telling me my car's on empty.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
At least your gas gauges work :mad: When the low gas light comes on you have about 50km of gas left.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
mine the light comes on mid e and 1/4 tank... but fillup get the thing a 1/4 tank over F

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah my 90 xe 2 door does not have a gas light. Because if I did have one, that sucker would be goin on all the time. I have run out of gas on the road before because I was sure that my gas guage was off. I can't remember exactly how far I went with it below E before it gave out. It's quite annoying not having an accurate guage, and it's kinda hard to get an accurate mpg rate. I've figured that I get around 28-29 mpg of mixed freeway/city driving. Of course I'm usualy mashing around kinda hard so I can at least keep up with traffic around here. I got ~310 miles out of ~10.8 gallons, so that's how I came up with that number.

Also, it seems like there's extra room in the lower left of my guage cluster where some additional read outs may be, like a gas light. Haven't ever seen or read anything about being there though. Must be nothing.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
The low gas light is to the left of the steering wheel. I also have a dead taillight and a low windshield washer fluid warning lights

·
Nissan/Mazda Gumshoe
1,052 Posts
well , as some of u might have read in a previous post, i didnt have a gas guage for quite awhile. but i got the dvr and everything is fine. i have noticed that since i have my new exhaust , i burn quite a bit more gas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts