Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
allright I'm getting a spec very soon and I'm planning on keeping it in the garage. SO I've cleaned it out the garage of all the junk and made a nice big empty space.

Only problem is the ground is dirt/gravel/dust. What can I use as a floor to keep the dust down. The driveway was paved and it is concrete, but I need something to keep from having to wash my car every day? I've thought about just getting a few sheets of plywood and putting them down on the ground, it would help at least.

I've also consered this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44079&item=7146860366&rd=1

however I think that after driving on it the gravel would tear through it.

then I think maybe do both, plywood and that mat overtop of it? any more cheap suggestions, Putting concrete down really isn't an option.

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Devil Man said:
i would go with the old carpeting, or just paint the floor?
the floor is gravel and dirt.

wouldn't old carpting get wet whenever I pulled in on rainy days?

I guess those floor mats would as well though. They are cool however if your gonna work on it. So you can get on the ground without being bad on your back.

I think its gonna be 4 sheets of 4x8 plywood, attached with some hinges to hold them together.

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
your best bet is to use some plywood or 2x6 lumber.

the problem with the plywood is that it will bend and warp and come apart after it spends enough time in the wet. having a car driving over it will not help matters much.

the carpet will mildew from the moisture, so that's not a good idea unless you have it elevated to let air circulate on both sides..

Thus, lumber is your best option. you can dig a couple small trenches in it and lay a few boards sideways and screw the others down to it.. that will hold everything in place and give you a nice smooth surface. as long as it's not going to be woaking wet all the time, then you shouldn't have a problem using regular timber... if it's going to be wet a lot of the time, then you'll need to use pressure-treaded wood, which doubles the price.

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Matt93SE said:
your best bet is to use some plywood or 2x6 lumber.

the problem with the plywood is that it will bend and warp and come apart after it spends enough time in the wet. having a car driving over it will not help matters much.

the carpet will mildew from the moisture, so that's not a good idea unless you have it elevated to let air circulate on both sides..

Thus, lumber is your best option. you can dig a couple small trenches in it and lay a few boards sideways and screw the others down to it.. that will hold everything in place and give you a nice smooth surface. as long as it's not going to be woaking wet all the time, then you shouldn't have a problem using regular timber... if it's going to be wet a lot of the time, then you'll need to use pressure-treaded wood, which doubles the price.
honestly, I'm just wanting something to keep the dust down a bit, I'm thinking I'll just go with 3 sheets of plywood and hook them together. The ground isn't very flat so with it bending that will be good, because it'll bend to the shape of the floor instaed of just breaking.

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
the 2x6s won't break either..

If you do the plywood, paint it with a high traffic paint that will stand up to the car driving on it. should make it last longer than a few months..

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
myoung said:
haha simple but the best advice on this thread... a dirt garage isn't a garage it's a barn ;)

Why isn't concrete an option?
cost. i'm already going to have to buy a door/motor because the doors now are just the ones that swing open (barn door style) plus the new car.

the whole driveway was gravel and the garage was built years after the house by my grandfather, just to store things in, never used for cars.

I found some of the paper you lay down before you lay shingles, I'll probably use that as a base before I do anything. really all I'm looking to do is to keep the dust down a bit, so I don't have to wash it every other day.

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
Yeah, my driveway is gravel. Sometimes I lay my trunk carpet down where I work, sometimes I just deal with the rocks digging into my back.

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wildmane said:
Yeah, my driveway is gravel. Sometimes I lay my trunk carpet down where I work, sometimes I just deal with the rocks digging into my back.
driveway is gravel so as long as it isn't raining or dark I can work there. However whammie kept the spec in the garage and I don't want the clear on the CF to start looking like crap so I'm gonna keep up with it.

All I need to do is to keep the dust down a bit. I'm thinking a layer or 2 of that roof matting and then some plywood overtop of it. That'll run me like $50 total whereas concreating it would run upwards around $500. I still live at home with my mom so I really don't wanna pay to have HER garage concreated when I may not live for more then a year. I'm already gonna get her a garage door/motor on one side, so when I do move out, I'd say she'll start putting her car in there.

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok I decided on what I'm doing. First off I'm jigsaw laying down pieces of plywood over a 8x16 foot area.

Them I'm getting 2 6x8 pieces of the fake grass type stuff and putting overtop. The back has a non skid surface but I'm still gonna staple it down to the plywood to make sure it doesn't go anywhere. I think I can still use a creaper on it without a problem.

The putting green washes right off, and it sits outside on putt putt courses year round so it should hold up no problem.

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok if anyone is still looking at this I'm well on my way :)

Put Put anyone? I should put a hole in the middle just for that.

I also installed 2 new shop lights because I just had ONE on my side of the garage. SO now the side I'll be parking on has 3 lights, the other has 1. I found one more but it doesn't have any lights in it but I think it should be bright enough, if not I have it though.

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Hmm,
To do something serious you'd have to remove everything from that garage and dig down like 4" at least. Then you get a mixer or company to come out, put some wire framing and pour concrete in there. Then you paint it with that u-coat it stuff so it looks like a dealer showroom floor. Best part is, you may be able to pay the concrete guys to do the whole thing and you can sip tea and watch.

Seth

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sethwas said:
Hmm,
To do something serious you'd have to remove everything from that garage and dig down like 4" at least. Then you get a mixer or company to come out, put some wire framing and pour concrete in there. Then you paint it with that u-coat it stuff so it looks like a dealer showroom floor. Best part is, you may be able to pay the concrete guys to do the whole thing and you can sip tea and watch.

Seth
yes that is major work on a house that I will probably only be living in for another year MAX. Plus the driveway is only 4" thick and a truck couldn't get back there, it'd have to be put in wheelborrels or bobcatted back there to do it. PLUS that is only 1/2 the garage, the other half is full of junk. Both 1/2s were full of crap, but you could get around, now one side is full of crap and you can't see the floor, and my side is nice and empty.

I'm fine with my results just gotta get one more pice of putting green and I'll be done. Dust will stay down and I have a nice flat and soft surface that I can get down and under my car in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
maybe try some concrete pavers that your wheels can sit on while you drive into the garage. Alot of times they advertise concrete pavers on craigslist for free?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts