Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I own a -90 Sunny (US Sentra) with GA16i engine and the problem is very sharp jerks. This usually happends at 5th gear around 50mph speed, when it gets really bad driving at low speeds is real pain cause car just jerks so hard that you allmost slide under the dash. Idle is a problem too usually its quite good but sometimes it rows up and down between 500-2000rpm. It isnt very rare that engine stops suddenly when I push clutch down. But the most interesting thing is that it can run fine couple of days just fine and then it suddenly starts again and after next start it might work fine again.
Next problem is very bad mileage, car takes about 3 gallons on 60mile. It doesnt matter how you drive. nice or like fire on you a**.
Engine has all the power left and it keeps going very good with heavy gas foot but what I really love about this engine is the very strong low rpm torque, its like driving diesel.
I have changed new O2 sensor and water temperature sensor. When I start the engine without the air filter injector sparays very much gas to intake manifold so its not leaking anywhere, black sparkplugs allso strengthens this theory.
At the moment I'm cleaning the MAF sensor and AAC valve....
Hopefully someone can help me with these problems and understand somethin what i wrote :).

MotherGoose from snowy Finland....

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
Hi and welcome aboad... first off, have you got the ECU code readed ??? ... this might shed light to some problems ... looked at vacuum lines too?? ... old cracked line can cause a lots of gremelins...other than that check for correctly grounded engine/loose wiring ... it isnt rare that all those B12 get jerking around like this ....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I forgot to mention that i have changed all the vacuum line pipes to new ones and ECU doesnt give any fault code.
Engine grounding is something that i have to check, well gotta go now and put back the cleaned MAF, AAC and see if that does anything change....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay now i have put it all back together. Car didnt jerk at test drive at all but....
i notices that bpt valves foam is all broken and half of it dropped out, i got it off and then rest of the foam dropped :). Now the car stalls for a moment when accelerating with low revs (under 3000rpm). when idling engine stops when you push gas pedal quick.
What is exactly BPT valves "job"?

·
Moved on...Ciao!
629 Posts
Hey, Mother Goose! Welcome aboard! I had an '88 Sentra with the E16i and had a similar problem. I had just swapped the engine and a couple hundred miles later, got the same sh**. I swapped out relays under the dash: Nothing. Checked fusible links: Nothing. I checked everything and took it to the Nissan boys, and they could find nothing. In the end: There were 2 wires that bolted to a stud on the timing belt cover; The nut was loose, so I torqued 'er down. I don't recall where a similar wire(s) is (are) in the GA engines, but after that, it made all the difference. Never had a problem with it again. Best of luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm getting really frustrated now cause i cant figure out what causes this hesitation when accelerating. ECU doesnt give any fault code. I have checked all the wires and hoses many times, theyre all fine and connected. Could i have broken the MAF when cleaning it? I used alcohol and cottonsticks to clean it.
If you have any wild suggests to fix this be free to tell, i'm getting so desperated i'll try anything :rolleyes:

Some pics of Sunny
http://sepi.tky.hut.fi/~hanska/sunny.jpg
http://sepi.tky.hut.fi/~hanska/sunny1.jpg
http://sepi.tky.hut.fi/~hanska/sunny2.jpg
http://sepi.tky.hut.fi/~hanska/sunny3.jpg
http://krp.kicks-ass.org/~hanska/sunny4.jpg
http://sepi.tky.hut.fi/~hanska/ga16i.jpg

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
Have you messed around with the EGR valve at all ? try reaching under it and lifting up on the diaphram. first see if it moves freely, and then see if it affects the engine at all. You might want to take it apart and clean the valve out and make sure the pipe is clear. Can't hurt anything at this point. :)

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
my car was bucking a bit too when cold, but not nearly as bad as yours from the sound of it. I took my EGR apart and cleaned it a one point. seemed to be a lot of buildup underneath it .

not sure on the ECU thing ? overnight would be a safe assumption, but don't know the official word. I have the FSM at home, if no one answers by tonight, i'll check it out for you.

wondering about the bad mileage though ? is the car running at normal temp ? are you getting good heat and stuff from it ? :rolleyes: another really dumb thought, you have replaced the fuel filter at some point right ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I changed fuel filter and thermostat about 3 years ago. Even at below -20c (-4F) car is very warm (not like our Peugeot 307 where toes are freezing).

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
not sure how many miles you put on your car per year, but 3 years for a fuel filter is pretty long IMO. I would probably change again just for good measure. It doesn't seem to take much to cause problems for these cars. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have checked EGR valve now and it was working fine. Car has got in 3 years only about 15k miles so I dont think fuelfilter is the problem.
Any easy way to check that MAF is still working right, cause this stalling problem came after last "repair" :rolleyes:

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
the factory service manual shows how to troubleshoot the AFM circuit once it has thrown a trouble code that it has failed, but haven't been able to find anything on testing the sensor itself ? I'll keep looking. one interesting thing, if the AFM fails, the ECU goes into a fail safe mode and will not allow the engine to go above 2400 RPM.

here is a quick rundown on stumble while accelerating troubleshooting from the manual.

#1 check ignition (plugs and wires)

#2 check intake system for leaks. Esp the air duct itself.

#3 their having you check the idle switch

#4 fuel pressure regulator

#5 O2 sensor.

wish I had a scanner. they do tell you how to test the idle control switch itself. if your intersted, let me know and I'll see if i can't PM soemthing to you.
:cheers:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I made a longer testdrive with car and it had no jerking, feels very good. Idle was also very good, engine goes immediately to 850rpm when you push down the clutch.
Only problem was now the short stalling when accelerating with heavier gas. Problem is the same like with carburetor what has broken accelerator pump.
What controls in ga16i engine accelerator pumps job?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Acouple of thoughts on things that happened to my brother in laws GA16I pulsar. First check the grounds at the valve cover bolt - one is to the ECU for the fuel pump circut (Strange but true). Next clean thoughouroly the Idle up solenoid valve, FICD solenoid valve and the AAC valve on the back of the throtle body - causes surging and idle problems. Also a check of the throtle position sensor couldn't hurt - there could be a "dead" spot in the sensor. Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts