Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
have you changed the fuel filter lately? how does the engine act or sound when this happens?

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It acts the exact same way as if it were a top speed governor. you hit 5200rpm and the car lurches, slowing suddenly, as throttle control is taken away from you until it comes back down to 3200rpm.

I haven't touched anything besides putting in new plugs and wires, but it did this before.

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
There is a 6,000 RPM rev limmiter that is built into the computer. What you described is exactly what the computer does, it will hit ~6,000 RPM and cut the IGN then turn it back on causing the car to buck violently. Unless you get an aftermarket computer I don't think you will be able to by-pass it.
BTW the GA16i cannot breath very well at RPM's above 6,000, so it would be pretty pointless to rev above that anyway. If you are looking for more power you should start with an engine swap.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, it wasn't this problem, as i realized this only happens if i try to fully open the throttle. also, you sure the rev limiter isn't higher than 6000rpm? haven't experienced this one, and limiters are typically well into the red. the 16i redline is 6400. you sure you didn't mean 7000? cuz i've taken mine to the redline since discovering it was a throttle issue, and i havent experience a limiter since.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts