Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Garage Sultan
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I spent this weekend down in Lethbridge at a friends house. Weekend was good with a nice photo shoot (see my link in my signature for new photos!!).

Anyway after my friend left me in the dust for the thousandth time (2002 Mustang Vs. 1989 Sentra, almost stock) i stopped to give the rattling heat shielding a whack. Hey walked over and noticed that my cooling fan was going at full tilt (it can move a fair bit of air!) and joked that I should connect my intake behind the fan and make a "turbo". It sounded dumb at the time but the more I thought about it the better it sounded.

What I need to know is this. how often does the cooling fan run?
Would it be possible/feasible to put a switch that could leave the fan in auto mode but also turn it on whenever i needed "boost"?
My intake is already nearby, relocating the stock tubing and puting on a piece to gather air from the fan would be a no problem for me. But would it work or do anyhting?

-Nick

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
I don't think it would work, and the fan does not stay on very much. You could rig up a switch but then your car might run cold. People have put those little CPU fans from their computer in the intake and it doesn't work cuz they don't push enough air.

·
Garage Sultan
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fan can move a hella lot of air. I put my hand behind it when it was running the other and it can blow sufficiently to my needs.

You said something about the car running cold. Whats so bad about this? I wouldnt use it in the winter for sure, but in the summer heat, whats wrong with a little extra cooling?

-Nick

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
The engine has a tempature range where it is most efficient. If it's cold the ECU will run with a richer mixture to get the motor to heat up. I guess you could always just change the thermostat for one that runs warmer if the engine won't heat up.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have always wondered about something like this. Would purhapse using a small fan blade installed in an air intake do anything at all? Also, about the engine running too cold, how would that make the engine any colder than if you were running a CAI to the engine? It still sounds like a good idea....the GA16i needs any ideas for extra power it can get.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
dschrier said:
Would purhapse using a small fan blade installed in an air intake do anything at all? Also, about the engine running too cold, how would that make the engine any colder than if you were running a CAI to the engine? It still sounds like a good idea....the GA16i needs any ideas for extra power it can get.
The small fan will NOT work. People have tried putting in those little CPU cooling fans and it just obstructs the airflow because it is not strong enough especially at high revs. The engine will run cooler because the fan will constantly be sucking air through the rad. The fan usually only goes on when the engine starts getting too hot.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Would it be possible to maybe bend the stock air intake hose more underneath the car for a ghetto CAI? Sorry if these questions sound dumb but I'm at work bored with nothing to do right now.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Don't feel bad about not working. I'm supposed to be studying for a calculus exam. The ghetto CAI could work but I'm not sure if it will make much of a difference. My friend did it on his Subaru Legacy.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
sentrastud said:
Its bendiness is the basis for all my upcoming plans.
BWAHAHAHA!!!!! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts