Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i'm making my CAI myself so that i get the best spot, and so that the costs are way down.

just wondering what diameter piping i should use.

Gonna do the home depot PVC piping CAI.

Reasons:

the piping will cost me $7 for everything (lol) then the filter ~$50, so ~$60

PVC is a better insulator than stainless, even if it looks like shit, just try and tell me that plastic conducts heat better than steel.

No point in me spending more money on a CAI when i'm doing a GA16DE swap next summer, and it'll need new fitting.

My point, the PVC will work better, easier to fit/put in a good spot, and is cost efficient (for those who wanted to laugh).

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
I'm not laughing at all... one of my good friends built a turbo kit on a KA24E 240SX almost entirely out of PVC pipe. It held under 15 lbs of boost no joke! Eventually, I believe it melted and blew apart, but by that time it had been on the car roughly 6 months and he had bought actual aluminium piping to use.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, PVC works great short-term, and if you're just daily driving, it'll last way longer. yes plastic melts, but PVC is designed to handle high heats, and shouldn't really melt unless it's handling high heats inside and outside of the piping. therefore a CAI should last fine :p.

and it really does make a better insulator. i'm going to shave the pipe ends so that it looks like this at the bend connectors \/ rather than |/.

but, what size piping do i need!! i'm too lazy to wait and just look for myself.

·
Soon to be GA16it
444 Posts
I recommend to keep the factory airbox. It minimize heat soak compare to SRI or WAI setup. It is not as restrictive unlike most H cars factory airbox. I would suggest to put some kind of ducting to gather fresher more dense air from the front of the car. If you decide to do it, I suggest to use ABS pipes instead of PVC.

·
Registered
734 Posts
well the HotShot CAI uses 3" up to the MAF sensor then 2 1/2 or 2" to intake manifold.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hm, well, i guess i'll just measure the diameters of what's there and figure out which size to use, and use the proper adapters where neccesary.

oh, and common misconception of the best spot for filter placement:

It's not the front of the bay. why run piping along the side of the hot engine, past the VC, then set the filter right next to a boiling radiator?? the filter and ducting is just much more exposed to heat that way. off to the side, into the wheel well if it's possible is where to go.

and the reason for the intake at this point is more the sound than the performance. a CAI gives a sound the stock airbox doesn't. seeing as it's until i swap in a GA16DE, i'll just do that, and put on a muffler, 2 1/2 or 3" can, and that's it. everything else aside from a short shifter that goes into it will be cosmetic (just wheels/tires and possibly new paint. i'm thinking midnight blue.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I modify the original airbox with fiberglass and put and obx filter to it, and the car runs a lot beter, more throtle response and it revs a lot faster, and the sound its very nice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
to sentra b12

can you post some pics of your setup???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts