Nissan Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't think that running your exhaust pipe mid-way would cause any harm, but I wouldn't do it.

Not only is it ricey, but it reeks of "poor craftsmanship".

It would only take about an extra $40 of straight exhaust pipe to hook up to your shortened system.

I think it is worth the effort to do it right.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I don't think that running your exhaust pipe mid-way would cause any harm, but I wouldn't do it.

Not only is it ricey, but it reeks of "poor craftsmanship".

It would only take about an extra $40 of straight exhaust pipe to hook up to your shortened system.

I think it is worth the effort to do it right.
ricey would be putting a $25 fart-can on the back. cutting it short is about performance. not to mention if i was going to run open tail-pipe like that, it would be better just to leave it open about a foot after the glasspack, as there are about 3-4 sharp bends at the back end. with shop-bent tubing, that would be adding a lot of restriction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Its your car, if you want to cut it short. It is your choice.

You asked for my opinion and I gave it.

For the record, I would not consider a short exhaust system a "performance gain" unless you have a turbo setup.

Do a little research and you will find out that you have to have a certain amount of exhaust back-pressure for NA cars to perform optimally.

This is the reason why you can lose mid-range with say a 4" exhaust over something smaller.

These are just facts.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
no, i know, the only thing is, i'm not buying a high flow cat. i'm using the existing one. the catalytic converter creates alot of back pressure as is, and i know the exhaust needs some because there's none there right now. i can feel it when i drive it. that's why i was thinking of opening it up about 2 feet behind the cat.

in reality, all my shortened system is eliminating is the section of the exhaust that starts to bend before the muffler. also, this is all temporary. the reason being is my laptop is almost dead, and i have to supply myself with another computer withing the next couple weeks. unfortunately, that costs money. it costs the money that would go into a full 2" to the back exhaust.

sorry if i seemed rude, i truly didn't mean to be. i guess i just worded it poorly in my previous post. i do understand the logic of going all the way to the back. after i pay my bills i'll see if i can afford a few feet of straight pipe. if i can, i'll go all the way to the back, but just straight back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow...thats great!!! I thought you forgot all about the cam install. Good job for taking the time to take pics and doing a DIY!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts