Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked it up from the post office depot, and i'm stoooked!

here are some pictures.

I will be providing a detailed step by step DIY with step by step pictures for you guys.

i ordered the part through My Nismo.

contact them before you order to see as to whether or not they can get more. they had 3, and after i ordered mine, they only had one left, so contact them before you order.

PEEKTCHAZ!

the last picture shows the label on the part box with the correct part number and, if you can read it, the made in japan stamp.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the last one!! :idhitit::idhitit::idhitit:

So much for that.

Looking forward to your DYI write up SonicGundam!!- Great Pics!
awesome! only question left is who got the other lol?

i'm hoping that i'll be able to do it without even takeing the engine out of the bay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am sure that you can replace the cam without taking the engine out. I would be more concerned about replacing the cam in the same tooth of the timing chain, since we will want to cut as many corners as possible.

From what I understand from someone who has done this before on a single cam engine, it should be possible for one person to hold up the timing chain, while you install the new cam underneath.

Crossing my fingers- that I need not to replace the rocker arms. My engine has less than 40K original miles on it.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep, it should be within the next week. i've just been waiting for a paycheck, because i'm going to be changing over to synthetic, and so i need to buy about 6 quarts of oil and a filter, and some other doo-dads. i get payed tomorrow, so it should happen in the next week and a half.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds good. Please keep us posted.

I have yet to receive my cams, however, I expect them any day now.

I have already contacted Ben @ JWT about adjusting our ECU to take full advantage of the eurocams, intake, exhaust, and lightened flywheel.

I am hoping for a broader powerband and approx 10 HP more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i am in the middle of putting in my headers, and once they are in, the cam is going in :).

Congrats! I went with the PaceSetter headers since they made a mistake and said they would bolt-up to our engine.

Of course, it didn't and I had to fab more than I wanted to make it work.

I am sure you ran into the same snags.

Let me know if you could use any pictures...

If I had to do it over again, I would go with the HotShot replicas since they are the same amount of work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I actually did the opposite and completely blocked the EGR and kept the AIV valve.

It made more sense this way.

The EGR is for emissions control and reroutes exhaust back into the intake. Most DIY'ers block the EGR system for performance gains.

I kept the AIV because it seemed more important to run in cold-weather. I saw a potential performance impact from not having it.

Car has been running great for 3 months like this.

I will put the pics late tonight...

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can see here where the coating cooked off from the headers as soon as they were warmed up..

On this picture, I bypass the EGR system completely and placed a rubber hose plug in the middle of the connector nut to the EGR system to make it vacuum sealed.

I also used high-quality rubber hose to re-route the EGR pipe from the header to the AIV hose to the intake. I secure it with rubber cement to the other hose and a clamp.

Let me know when you are past this and ready to tackle the cam.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sorry to dissapoint everyone, but i'm going to hold off on the cam install until school starts. once that starts (in 2 weeks) i will have people and teachers around me that can help, as well as all the neccessary tools to get the job done properly.

the car has been out of commission for too long now with the header install, and i don't like having it not running that long. i enjoy it too much. so i'm gonna hold off, just because i don't want to start, get to a point of no return, and then have the car out till i can figure it out and what not. there's a quick run through of what has to be done, provided by Dropped89 on this forum (either this one, or the b11,b12,kn13 forum). just search for all posts by him in those forums and you'll find it. i will provide a full walkthrough of what i did, once i do it. for now i'm running open downpipe headers lol. see how long that lasts before dad freaks.

PS, i start my service tech schooling in 2 weeks. i'll have full access to a full shop and everything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I see you also found out that you have to make about a 4" interconnect from the downpipe to the exhaust.

I was kind of bummed when I realized that I had to fab up a solution with a factory exhaust.

That wasn't mentioned anywhere on this board....

At least the GA16i is relatively quiet without an exhaust compared to some of the larger V6 and V8 counterparts.

Best of luck and post plenty of pics when you are ready to tackle the cam.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
haha yea, it's quieter, but it's still REALLY loud. turned it on, thought i was sitting next to a harley at a light for the 2 chugs before it cut.

the EGR pipe ripped the nut off the valve and stripped the entire threading off, so the sentra is out of commission for a while until i can get a new valve.

I've been thinking of running a short exhaust, by hooking the catalytic converter up to the downpipe, then running a 2" glasspack after the cat, and leaving it open. that'll open it up the exhaust well, without polluting, not to mention the simplicity of the system. any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts