Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine rattles in gear and I've been told by a mechanic that the engine mounts are getting worn. My antenna vibrates and wiggles in gear at a stop! Not a problem in neutral.

The Haynes manual makes it sound like an easy job. The part that concerns me is where it says to one by one remove all the mounts with the engine supported simply by a bottle jack. It says to then replace the mounts in opposite order. I'm picturing the engine teetering on the jack and falling to the floor.

Also what grade of locktite should I use on the nuts? And should rubber preservative be put on new mounts?

thanks for the help!

new_balert

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
like i said in your other thread, Haynes and Chiltons suck, terribly.

with a bottle jack you will either drop your engine you will either topple your engine or punch a hole in your oil pan. use not one but TWO floor jacks to support your engine from the bottom, and if possible an engine crane, or simply a chain hung from a support for placing it back into the mounts. this way, you could probably undo all the mounts at one time and replace them in no specific order, just torque them properly. lower the engine into the mounts and re-attach them to the engine doing the rad support and firewall mounts first. this will help to avoid later headaches, because if you did one of those mounts along with a side mount, you might have trouble getting it back into the opposing mount.

i'm assuming you're doing this at home in your own garage.

do yourself a HUGE favor and get a Nissan FSM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts