Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I got a question. I do plan on making a ga16de swap one of these days when I have the cash flow. But right now I am making do. My ga16i has custom cold air intake, custom cat back, and pacesetter short shift kit, and thats pretty much it right now lol. I DO have a 4 speed transmission and its really annoying going down the highway with that. Im wondering if the 5 speed swap is worth it, and if it is, can I do a straight drop in without having to change the ECU, wiring, or anything of that sort. Thanx.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
for a ga16de you need ecu, wiring ect.... with or without the 5 speed youll need them anyway. ill go with the 5 speed if you buy a whole part car for the swap....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no no no. what I mean the swap for the ga16i. I wanna switch the ga16i 4 speed for a ga16i 5 speed. Just wanted to know what kind of crap I might need to go through for that swap. The ga16de will come a lot later. Thanx.

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
NissanMuscle said:
no no no. what I mean the swap for the ga16i. I wanna switch the ga16i 4 speed for a ga16i 5 speed. Just wanted to know what kind of crap I might need to go through for that swap. The ga16de will come a lot later. Thanx.
You'll need a 94 or earlier RS5F31A 5 speed Transmission. It helps if the speedometer pinion is mechanical and NOT digital. I heard that the B12 CV axles do fit, just that the lock ring is a little big (the one about one inch from the end of the CV axle that goes into the tranny). Just replace that ring, and the CV axle should just slip right in. I have the 5 speed in my sentra, and it bolts up directly, just reuse the bolts that hold your old transmission in place. Oh yeah, also the transmission side engine mount has to be modified. One corner of it has to be cut off, a 10 minute job with a dremel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have done this excat thing you are wanting to do to my 89. I used the tranny from a 90. I am pretty positive that it must be an 89 or 90. I am looking at the haynes manual and it looks like the bolt patterns are slightly different unless it is an 89 or 90. My 90 bolted right up with no problems when I did the swap. The axles will fit into the 5 speed without a problem as well. You will have to cut a part of the tranny side engine mount off because the 5 speed will be about an inch longer. The clutch cable will have a little more slack but that is not a big deal. Other than that there isnt really much to it. Just make sure that you grease your shift fork shaft and throw out bearing while you have it out, and probably it wouldnt hurt to put a new clutch on.

Dont expect a big difference between the two because there really isnt. You will only be shaving off a few hundred rpm traveling down the highway or whatnot. But by all means go for it, its not hard and it is nice to have a 5th gear. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx for the help guys. I appreciate it a lot. A few hundred rpms does make some difference when youre going down the road at 80 mph on a 250 miles trip every other weekend. Travelling down a straight highway for that long, those high rpms get kind of annoying. And no I don't have pics of the intake though I can get some. And I can tell you where I got the idea from. And I do give this guy all the credit. Smart fella. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/301395

I did the same thing he did but instead of doing the ram air setup, I went a little further and sent it all the way down behind the headlight. Its simple, just gotta measure the diameter, take a 3 inch tall pipe, 3 inches in diameter, drill two holes in the top for your wingnuts, cut a hole in the side, weld 2.5 inch pipe to the hole and run it where ever you want. Then you have to drill holes for the hose connections, strap a filter on the end, and off you go. Simple procedure. Took me about an hour. Thanx again a whole bunch.

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
runningrasta800 said:
I have done this excat thing you are wanting to do to my 89. I used the tranny from a 90. I am pretty positive that it must be an 89 or 90. I am looking at the haynes manual and it looks like the bolt patterns are slightly different unless it is an 89 or 90.
Looks are deceiving. The top 2 bolts match up. The front 2 bolts match up. the bottom 2 bolts match up. The rear bolts matches up, and the transmission motor mount bolts match up (sans one corner). Like I said, I have a 94 sentra manual transmission curently on my car. All the gear ratios are the same, but the magical 5th gear comes in real handy on the freeway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So basically you're saying a ga16de transmission will mount right up to a ga16i motor? But I still have to cut part of the mount off right?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
yea a ga16de 91-94 will work just fine with that little mod, and a 89 or 90 is the exact same casing u have now cus it goes to the same engine but jsut find one in 5 speed

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay cool. Theres one more question. Now should I get some better motor mounts to use instead of the stock ones because of the fact that I have to cut it? I mean I should probably get some better ones anyways but its just a "just in case" type thing.

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
When you cut the transmission motor mount, you just cut the welded arm part off. You don't have to modify the rubber mounts themselves (or did I misunderstand?). If you want to solidify the mounts, there are 2 part rubber mixes that you can buy off like grainger or mcmaster-carr. look up urethane mixes, and go for the 85A hard shit for a real stiffie. I also hear that window weld works as well, but I went with the urethane route myself. The objective is to get rid of the space in the rubber, making it one solid piece.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts