Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Banned
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you guys have put on an aftermarket turbo on the sx se? I was thinking about getting one off of a saab or something at a junkyard maybe? How difficult is it to install these, how expensive to get it done at the shop? thanks.

·
Surf
807 Posts
i'm not that knowledgable about this stuff but i know that alot more is involved then just the turbo itself. Chef has done it, look up something about his car.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've 'read' that turbo's off of other manufacturer's cars are rarely a good idea unless you REALLY know what you're doing. Either way you can get a rebuilt turbo for about the same price (you'll more or less have to rebuild the used turbo anyway, it's always the best idea) for about the same price as buying a used then having it rebuilt. I'd suggest calling JWT and seeing if they can modify the SE-R kit for you...it's worth a shot.

I have known of one guy that turbo'd a 1.6 litre sentra 2 door but I didn't ask him if it was a kit or where/how he got it installed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
let's see.... i think that a turbokit just came out for the GA16DE. it's made by hotshot. i'm thinking that this is the only kit for the GA16DE. www.hotshot.com

·
Registered
500 Posts
Mike Young's car is the Hotshit kit car, and the other two GA16DETs I've seen were custom jobs. javierb14 had one and he's selling it for 4 grand as a matter of fact. chef is the other one.

·
Registered
138 Posts
selling for 4 grand? i thought that i saw the kit for sale for 3 grand at hotshot's web site.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I guess. It says the intercooler is part of the kit, and he's selling it to pay off student loans, and it was driven on for 2500 miles. It's all in his post. But yeah, I see where you're coming from. Why spend all this time on it and sell it so soon?

·
Banned
809 Posts
Maybe it was too much power.. maybe it wasnt what he expected.. who knows, He could actually need to sell it to pay off school. but damn 4g's?! must be a nice ass college..

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
Niss200SXGTR said:
Maybe it was too much power.. maybe it wasnt what he expected.. who knows, He could actually need to sell it to pay off school. but damn 4g's?! must be a nice ass college..
there's a lot on "maybes" in that ....lol

too much power? first time I've heard that one... We aren't talking about a R34 GTR here..

K

·
0 Posts
Actually without a custom clutch & LSD it is too much power from what I hear.. an import mag i read put in the hotshot one & then had to get an LSD and different clutch :p (well I guess that wouldn't be too much power.. just not the stuff to handle it). However, on a 1.6 engine.. you're looking at spending 3.7k on the hotshot kit (note that the ECU does NOT Come with it .. read the small print :p).. then I'm not sure how much the clutch and LSD would be.. but you'd have to get that.. then you're gonna have to get bigger piping to yer muffler .. (what 2.5???) anyway.. yeah you're talking about *alot* of money for the complete setup :p. Made me wonder if i wanted to just buy an 94 SE-R and then do all that stuff :p

·
Registered
500 Posts
Come on, be a trooper like us and snail-blow your GA16. I don't know about you but I want to be a pioneer like Mike Y. and his turbo GA, and Lewis and Clark on the Oregon Trail and the whole gang at Little House on the Prairie... you get the picture.

K

·
0 Posts
lol -- and after I got done buying it I'd be even more poor than either ;). But anyway, yeah I've thought about it; and still might do it :p

·
3 bar MAP
1,381 Posts
ya, im selling my kit for 4k but this is with everything including management, fuel, and a full 2.5" stainless exhaust system. i even have a JWT lightweight flywheel and pressure plate that i havent put in yet, but need too. my oem clutch is on its last leg.
add everything up, and itll be more than 4k.

oh ya, more pics
http://www.public.asu.edu/~ramirez0/B14/

·
4,571 Posts
Kenix said:
Actually without a custom clutch & LSD it is too much power from what I hear.. an import mag i read put in the hotshot one & then had to get an LSD and different clutch :p (well I guess that wouldn't be too much power.. just not the stuff to handle it). However, on a 1.6 engine.. you're looking at spending 3.7k on the hotshot kit (note that the ECU does NOT Come with it .. read the small print :p).. then I'm not sure how much the clutch and LSD would be.. but you'd have to get that.. then you're gonna have to get bigger piping to yer muffler .. (what 2.5???) anyway.. yeah you're talking about *alot* of money for the complete setup :p. Made me wonder if i wanted to just buy an 94 SE-R and then do all that stuff :p

What import mag? No import mag that I know of has even seen the Hotshot turbo... besides NPM... If you are refering to SCC's Sweet 16... that doesn't have a turbo in it...The price $3134 + Ecu is actually a killer deal.. look around, compare it to Honda kits...hint: check the GReedy site... most kits are priced simular and don't come with the intercooler, nor do that come with any type of managment...ie...ecu

Now I agree you do need to upgrade the clutch... a must.. well, actually that would depend on how much you want to get on it and how much you plan on boosting.. We actaully drove quite a while on the stock clutch... with some slippage...but the clutch had almost 60,000 on it already! The LSD is a good addition, but not nessesary!

but all this really doesn't answer the original question...

Was there ever any dyno numbers for this setup?

I also credit Chef for all his work as well... but the simple fact is there are credible dyno numbers for either setup for either of these cars... I wish there was.

What I mean by credible is at least 3 average runs, not one good one and one bad one with the hp and tq numbers crossing at different areas on the chart..... if that's all you have who's to say which one is correct?

I apologize if I seem skeptical, but we have put a ton of time in every phase and to see someone spend all that money..never test...then pull it out in a month leaves a few questions lingering.

·
4,571 Posts
UnderDog said:
Come on, be a trooper like us and snail-blow your GA16. I don't know about you but I want to be a pioneer like Mike Y. and his turbo GA, and Lewis and Clark on the Oregon Trail and the whole gang at Little House on the Prairie... you get the picture.
hahaha Lewis and Clark? more like Martin and Lewis....lol

·
Nissan Wizard
193 Posts
So....The hotshot turbo kit price ($3134.00) does not include the jwt ecu, right? Anyways it's a little harder for us b13 guys to get a jwt ecu considering that we have to get a ser ecu of the same year range...than have jwt reprogram it. Anyone know how much that'll be?

·
4,571 Posts
b13nissan said:
So....The hotshot turbo kit price ($3134.00) does not include the jwt ecu, right? Anyways it's a little harder for us b13 guys to get a jwt ecu considering that we have to get a ser ecu of the same year range...than have jwt reprogram it. Anyone know how much that'll be?
no it does not include it... my point was that if you look around and compare... the prices of other kits are about that same price...but with no intercooler... and of course no managment (reprogrammed ecu in our case).....now compare those prices you find and then look at the list price of the HKS intercooler... I think you may be surprised how reasonable this deal is..

To tell you the truth,,the B13 Ga ecu is not really something I have thought about... you may be right...

call JWT.. I'm sure they could give you that answer in a couple of minutes..

I wish we could please everyone... just impossible

1 - 20 of 185 Posts