Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name's Jon. This thread is to inform anyone who wants to know where things break on a GA16DE turbo. Iv'e been off of the forums for a number of years now, but today decided I would start writing again. The forum i used to post on is now gone, so i joined this one.

I have a 1999 sentra i have been working on for four years now. I recently did the final turbo set-up and I have learned where a lot of things fail. When i had the T28 on, after one year, the stock head gasket failed at 13-15 lbs of boost. fairly reliable but still not satisfactory.

I now have a GT3076R on after rebuilding the engine with many internal upgrades, i will list at the bottom. With this turbo, the stock head gasket failed immediately upon hitting 20lbs of boost with no hesitation. After some top secret coating it held at 15 lbs, but the pistons evidently are unable to handle this amount of boost and stress fractured between the ring grooves. Granted these are 91-94 pistons, the 95-99 pistons may be slightly different. due to their larger gap between the oil and compression ring grooves, this may give them slightly more strength.

Everyone knows that next to the head gasket, the rods are the first items to fail, so i would definately not push them beyond 12 lbs on a GT30R, or 20lbs on anything else, i know some have, but i would not recommend it at all.

So far this is all I have broken, but since i really dont care what i break, I'm sure i will be posting further details on other engine components in the near future. When i get to where the crank breaks, someone take me to the luny bin. HAHA if your wondering where something breaks just let me know and ill be happy to blow it up for you.

Anywya since i know your all wondering heres the list of upgrades:
TSI cast iron T25 flange manifold
GT3076R t25 flange and standard 5 bolt outlet
Blox manual boost controler (dont trust electronic)
2.5" IC piping (Hotshot)
Hotshot FMIC
Venom 440cc injectors (bored out from 240sx injectors)
Pauter custom rods rated to 1000HP
Intake and exhaust porting
multi-angle valve job
JWT turbo cams
AEM FIC (love this thing highly recommend it)
custom downpipe made by eternal motorsports (east hartford, ct)
4" intake piping
Phantom Grip LSD
10mm spark plug wires
King bearings
complete engine rebuild
AEM wideband
boost gauge
oil pressure gauge
tein springs
kyb shocks
17X7wheels
kumho ecsta tires
stereo
Weisco pistons, copper head gasket, and Chromoly rings on the way

·
who needs clearcoat
239 Posts
sounds like a pretty nice setup, have you dyno'd it yet?

·
who needs clearcoat
239 Posts
Also, Where did you get the copper head gasket, and how much did it cost?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wait..... If you are working on a 99 Sentra, Why are you using 91-94 Pistons? And why are you so eager to destroy your car?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no i havent dynoed it on this set up yet, i dynoed it with my first set-up at 8lbs which only made 175, so i will post later what it makes. The reason for using the 91-94 pistons is that they have an additional compression ring next to the 95-99 pistons. the drawback is they are not gapless like the 95-99 ring is. And... im not eager to blow it up, i just figure someone needs to do the testing to figure out where this stuff fails, and what needs to be done to keep it from failing. Testing is the only way to know this.
The copper head gasket is coming from Hussey copper gaskets which makes custom gaskets for any car. It costs $150 and you should contact importperformanceparts.net or flatlanderracing.com. They have the largest selection and the most help in finding parts for the ga16de, i highly recommend them. talk to a guy named Phil if you call. the phone number is 603-378-0090.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i havent taken many pictures of the car. i will try to get them on here as soon as possible. i spend most of my time aggressively working on the car, so i dont take the time to document much.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oh, Ok. Geez, I'm glad you have the money to do that kind of stuff, I can barely afford to put gas in my car (Which went down to like $1.10 but now is back up to $2 a gallon).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah well this is really about the only thing i spend my money on, im not too good with managing money lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah, Me either, lol. But I don't have the money toe spend though, I have alot bills I gotta pay first, Than Only have about $250 to spend on whatever I want... Usually I spend it on stuff I don't need.

·
Registered
124 Posts
right now i am wating on my Weisco pistons, copper head gasket, and Chromoly rings , but i have pretty much same set up, except stock rods , i got a t25 but that lil thing cant push much power, i was thinkg gt28rs but hows the gt30rs working?? as in response

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah im waiting on pretty much the same things as well. i strongly suggest you get the pauter connecting rods as well...they are quite expensive, but in no way can the stock rods handle much power. if you havent pulled them out to look at them, they are extremely extremely small and will crack and go right through your block, running everything else you have spent so much money on. talk to phil at flatlanderracing.com, he will hook you up. yeah the t25 doesnt really cut it, i am loving the GT30706r though. it will up your power band to start like 1500rpm higher though. it makes 7-9 lbs of boost at 4000 rpm and will make 20lbs at about 4800rpm. once it makes about 10 lbs it just builds boost like a mother. 8lbs on this turbo is roughly equivalent to 15lbs on the t25. i am loving it. it keeps the car really streetable for regular driving but when you want the power it roars to life pretty quickly. i cant wait to see how much power i can make with the new pistons and head gasket.... i want the world record, 14.2 in the quarter as far as i know. im pretty sure i can get at least a 13.5. but like i said...get new rods, please. you will destroy your motor and waste everything.

·
who needs clearcoat
239 Posts
I think wes ran a 12.7 or something close to that the post is on the quarter mile times area in the ga16 section

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
really... hmmm hes only running a gt28rs on a stock motor though right? if im not mistaken, that was the last i saw on him, but like i said its been quite a while since ive been on the forums. well if he runs a 12.7 on that, i still think i can take the record with the new pistons and head gasket. this car has never been down the strip, so we shall see.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Sounds like a good setup, the only limiting factor is the 440 injectors. You will overpower them at 3 bar fuel pressure.

As I stated in a PM I ran a 12.73 @ 107.8 MPH in 2007. Another member here (1.6 SE-R) had a hot shot turbo kit equipped (standard T28) B13 that ran a 12.2X IIRC. His car was significantly lightened and he was trapping around 110MPH.

There was a GA16 car on a stock bottom end GA16DS overseas that made 330ish WHP but I never saw a 1/4 time slip for that car. So AFAIK the documented record (here anyway) is 12.2. Personally I do not think that is hard to beat on a properly built car with some weight reduction. You won't have to worry about competition from me, the drag passes were a one time thing done for NPM back in the day. Since then brake and suspension upgrades will keep me from running slicks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no i did not break a rod, but i did replace them, and i know by looking at them, they are insufficient for any significant power. they are forged, but they are only roughly 1/2" wide....do not try to make substantial power with these it will go badly. Some of the smallest rods i have ever seen.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
no i did not break a rod, but i did replace them, and i know by looking at them, they are insufficient for any significant power. they are forged, but they are only roughly 1/2" wide....do not try to make substantial power with these it will go badly. Some of the smallest rods i have ever seen.
What do you consider significant? I agree they are small however there are several 250+ whp GA16's running around on a stock bottom end and at least one that has made over 300WHP.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i would consider over 300 significant, i know that someone did make over 300 with it, but i doubt it made that power for very long with those rods. maybe a few runs on the dyno and a couple of runs on the strip, but its impossible to call those rods reliable at that power. i ran about 250hp with the stock rods on my old set-up and no stress fractures or anything when i pulled them out, but the amount of material on those things scares me that they hold up to that at all. i admit, nissan engineering is the stuff, and i can't believe they hold up as long as they do, but to go over 300 with them seems to just beg for trouble.

·
Registered
502 Posts
i would consider over 300 significant, i know that someone did make over 300 with it, but i doubt it made that power for very long with those rods. maybe a few runs on the dyno and a couple of runs on the strip, but its impossible to call those rods reliable at that power. i ran about 250hp with the stock rods on my old set-up and no stress fractures or anything when i pulled them out, but the amount of material on those things scares me that they hold up to that at all. i admit, nissan engineering is the stuff, and i can't believe they hold up as long as they do, but to go over 300 with them seems to just beg for trouble.

The guys that made over 300WHP are from Chile, In know them from other forums and the car was used every day for some years until last year that they swaped a SR20 and sold the GA16 still working correctly.
The car was a Nissan Almera and it was faster than Imprezas and Evolutions.
The latest dyno gave out a figure of 360WHP. They where using methanol or water injection. Ill try to look for more info to show you guys, there are some videos on youtube.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts