Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a troublesome ga16. It leaks [email protected] and sprays it all over the cars behind me, and stalls when I come to a stop. It has been sitting in my back yard for a year. I only bought it for a commuter to keep the mileage off my stealth R/T turbo. Now that I have sold the turbo, I have a use for the sentra LE. I am wondering if it would be wise to fix the existing ga16, purchase another ga16, or attempt an sr20 swap? This will be my first mechanical endevour, so I need to know all there is to know about this car. I want to create my own little street racer, and I have chosen this Sentra LE, well.....because it's not a freaking Honda! I want it to be fast, and reliable enough to get me to work in the morning. If anyone can help with some usefull info I would appreciate it. Thanks.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
well i say do the Sr20DET swap if your GA16 is about 2 die.

dont bother swapping in another GA16 if your first one is about to die. Just do the full swap and be happier.

that is IMO though.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Availability of GA16 vs SR20

there seems to be an abundance of ga16 engines, and very few sr20's. Cost effectiveness can also be an issue. I like the availibility of the ga16, and since I am less then a good mechanic, well this is the first car I will attempt to work on, I am thinking of staying with the ga16. I have to have either Juice or Turbo though. So I am going to see what it is going to cost me to fix the existing ga16 so I can at least drive the car to work, and save up for another ga16, and some rebuild parts to strengthen the motor. I would really like to swap with an sr20det, but I have been having difficulty finding one. You have to excuse my mild ignorance in relation to these cars, I want a fast track car, but my understanding of the terminology is limited, so excuse some of my questions if they sound too rediculous. Oh, and is there a difference between the sr20de and the sr20det? I would assume one is turbo and the other is not.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
well, there are definately more GA16's to find, but you can just as easily find an SR20DE. The SR20DET has a stock turbo built in and you can get the ever popular Bluebird or the more powerful GTi-R. Those two engines are the same type, but the GTi-R has more features and more power (it's also more expensive to fix). you can find most engines at www.SR20DEvelopment.com and www.SRswap.com

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Although I find GA16DE to SR20DE swaps commendable, they are not a very cost effective move. I don't mean to piss on the idea of such a swap, but it seems a lot of people have been asking about them as of lately and my general advice has been to not do a swap. However, I don't want to wish to sway anyones opinion. So let me just say what I've always said. Swapping to an SR requires an SR20DE ECU w/ bracket and screws, SR20DE tranny, SR20DE PS pump and lines, water pump and radiator hoses, SR20DE axles, SR20DE MAF, and I believe a few mounts will need to be changed. Then you've got to get bigger exhaust on there, about $200, Parts alone, you're talkin at least $1200. JDM SR20DE's range from $275-$450 before shipping. So you're talking $1700 more or less to do the swap without labor. If you want to do a SR20DET you're talking anywhere from $900-$1700 for the motor, plus an ECU reprogramming at $500. I'd stay away from the GTI-R, because as 1997 GA16DE pointed out, the parts are not interchangeable with USDM SR20DE's, and a GTI-R is a tough swap for even a seasoned mechanic from what I've been told.

I don't imagine the SR20DE swap is too tough, but the money is what kept me from doing it. I bought an SE-R of the same year as my XE with a mileage gap of 7k in the SE-R's favor, and if I get what I want out of the XE, I'll be out $1200 for the SE-R. Plus I'll have the other things the SE-R has over the XE, being cosmetic things, like interior, sunroof, airdam, fog lights, painted side moouldings, plus 14" wheels, and perhaps the most important, bigger front discs and calipers as well as rear discs, and bigger sway bars.

Based on what you've said about your mechanical confidence, I'd say swap in another GA16DE in and then either build that car up or sell the car and get an SE-R, NX, G20 or some other SR20DE powered car to mod. You could swap in an SR16VE but you're talking crazy money for the engine $1600-$3000+ if you get the N 1 version, if you can even find one, not to mention it shares little to nothing with the GA16DE.

So you have to decide what you want to do. I researched swapping an SR20DE or SR20DET into my XE for about 6 months before I realized that I was going to buy an SE-R instead. There is a bolt on Turbo for the GA16DE but it's comparable to what a SR20DET swap would cost you with labor. If you decide to swap another GA16DE in, I'd suggest you get a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) and probably the cheapest place to get one is from www.kwcengine.com You have to call for prices, but call a few times as I've heard they're squirrelly and will give you different numbers each time you call. They've sold a few JDM SR20DE's to guys for $275 before shipping, so I'd suspect that a GA16DE should be even cheaper. They also give you a 12month/12K mile warranty, one of the best in the business I've heard. I know I'm a posting whore, but hey, I like to help if I can.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Better build quality, built to tighter specs, and I think they've got like 10 more hp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts