Nissan Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Re: Answers

wes said:
DHO, iF $$$ is an issue go turbo, you will get more bang for your buck! The other questions do not have any concrete answers, no one has pursued that route with a GA16 yet.

My project is shaping up. New ported head has been installed along with the JWT cams. I just need to button up the manifolds and break in the cams. Stay tuned to NPM for the results of the project!

Syndicate- Yes the timing chain and main bearings can withstand that! CHEF has achieved 200 WHP on his turbo GA16, while many others have been running nitrous for a LONG time without any problems. Bob Legere built Tim Mathers rally GA16 and that thing runs like a raped ape. The question that needs to be asked is what your goals are. My goal is to explore the limits of the 1.6 and see how much power I can extract out of it.

If your goal is ultimate power and bang for the buck, an SR20 is a better starting point and will produce more power for less $$$.
I'm glad to see the work you're doing to the GA16. Those JWT cams, do they have enough duration for turbo or are they made for the most part for NA? I only ask that question because of what some of the people have been telling me around here. They said, with most aftermarket cams the intake valves and the exhaust valves overlap and if you put turbo on it, it could actually suck in some heat into the motor and then cause detonation. Is this true?

Yes, the SR20 would be the best bang for the buck. My only problem is that I have a fairly new Reman'd engine and Rebuilt auto tranny and all the NA bolt-ons except for cams & ecu (JWT ECU Upgrade - $1300 for my car). I'm still paying off that engine and transmission, kinda pricey for a warranty.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
Re: Re: Answers

dho said:

I'm glad to see the work you're doing to the GA16. Those JWT cams, do they have enough duration for turbo or are they made for the most part for NA? I only ask that question because of what some of the people have been telling me around here. They said, with most aftermarket cams the intake valves and the exhaust valves overlap and if you put turbo on it, it could actually suck in some heat into the motor and then cause detonation. Is this true?

Yes, the SR20 would be the best bang for the buck if I didn't have a pretty new Reman'd engine and Rebuilt auto tranny and all the NA bolt-ons except for cams & ecu (JWT ECU Upgrade - $1300 for my car).
Too much overlap and sometimes the intake goes right in and comes out the exhaust... not about heat.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
In theory.

The lift and duration of the JWT cams is very mild. The experts have told me they will interact well with a turbo. Retarding the exhaust cam a few degrees can help a bit, but the JWT cams should be great with a turbo. Time will tel, NPM and myself are both going to do it.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
HMM

When my cams shipped they stated GA16 cam gears were not available. They may have, based on NPM project 200SX, created one for tuning purposes. If they have I will definately buy one. I was going to have a custom one made, but now it looks like I don't have too. I'm interested to see if it is in fact ture, I'm wondering how they made the exhaust cam adjustable, the stocker is pretty basic and only has one bolt holding it in place. We'll see.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I didn't quite read this entire post but the head i have was milled to .045, the valve springs were made to withstand 8900 rpms (although thte water pump and other equipment might not withstand it) and i put 15,000 miles on that head without one single problem. Soon after putting the head on i realized my thermostat was bad, after replacing that one month after the headwork was finished nothing went wrong until my torque converter finally went out. I haven't had one problem with that engine, then i finally swapped engines and now i'm trying to find a good transmission to put in it. Paul Burdick put 18psi through his turbo'd ga16 without blowing the head gasket (he didn't do this continually, just once). however, my point is I think the ga16 is a lot more capable than people could ever imagine of withstanding power. I have a spare block and intake manifold to work with now and i'm toying with the idea of boring out the cylinders and putting larger pistons in, shot peening rods etc... i'm not quite sure where i'm going with my car yet but when i get there i'll be sure to let ya'll know. my point is though, dont be afraid to experiment, and if you dont have money to spend, dont buy bolt ons and stuff. go with large upgrades such as turbo's like wes said. You're going to be sad when you put 1200$ into a head and get 30hp or you could have put 1500 into a turbo and gained 50-100hp depending on how willing you are to replace things that go out...

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Okay, now that I feel a little bit better about the GA16 I'm gonna think turbo. Did you need help with a converter? Talk to Sam @ Level 10 (www.levelten.com) and tell him Dan Oliver w/ Sentra sent you (group deal) and he'll give you the discounted prices. $400 for converter + $100 core (if you do not provide one, I think they still have one of my core's, just ask). If you'd like to go for the full performance automatic transmission with clutches, bands, shift kit, valvebody upgrade, superpump, able to hold 600hp/500tq they have all nissan transmissions for $2864 (retail $3264) with a 1yr warranty.

Do you have hands on experience with taking out the transmission? What would I have to do to take out my converter? I'm needing it tweaked. I also have an Aamco warrantied transmission so I'd like to do this without them knowing I did.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
Blitztech said:
I didn't quite read this entire post but the head i have was milled to .045, the valve springs were made to withstand 8900 rpms (although thte water pump and other equipment might not withstand it) and i put 15,000 miles on that head without one single problem. Soon after putting the head on i realized my thermostat was bad, after replacing that one month after the headwork was finished nothing went wrong until my torque converter finally went out. I haven't had one problem with that engine, then i finally swapped engines and now i'm trying to find a good transmission to put in it. Paul Burdick put 18psi through his turbo'd ga16 without blowing the head gasket (he didn't do this continually, just once). however, my point is I think the ga16 is a lot more capable than people could ever imagine of withstanding power. I have a spare block and intake manifold to work with now and i'm toying with the idea of boring out the cylinders and putting larger pistons in, shot peening rods etc... i'm not quite sure where i'm going with my car yet but when i get there i'll be sure to let ya'll know. my point is though, dont be afraid to experiment, and if you dont have money to spend, dont buy bolt ons and stuff. go with large upgrades such as turbo's like wes said. You're going to be sad when you put 1200$ into a head and get 30hp or you could have put 1500 into a turbo and gained 50-100hp depending on how willing you are to replace things that go out...
I couldn't agree more.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Well

The head and cam install is finally finished. Still shaking things down, but I should be prepared to take it to the track/dyno. within the next week or so. You can see a pic. of the new VC on my site. The results and buildup will be documented in NPM so stay tuned for results.

http://www.wes.nissanpower.com/whats_new.html

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Dan, I saw the post. I am going for 11:1 compression with Pauter pistons and rods, just have to give them a sample units for them to make them. I may do the headwork myself on a spare head. I think it can be done. I would shave the head if on a budget for more compression, this works well and you don't have to open the bottom end up. I would say you will need a JWT ECU for high compression and maybe Q45 injectors, they slip inthe fuel rail of the GA.

PS: I wil sell the torque converter cheaper than 300.00 Let me know. Chris [email protected]

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a GA16DE head ported, polished, milled to .045 head, 10.8-1 compression with high pressure valve springs for sale. $200 + Shipping.

·
Autech SR20 on the way
134 Posts
Re: Metal head gasket

Joshb13sentra said:
I don't know if you will need a copper head gasket, I've haven't heard much of any good news about them, my machinist said that he runs a 17.1 compression (on his turbo drag car that runs high 7's) with a felpro head gasket. The felpro gasket he showed me had a copper band around each cylinder and the rest was just gasket material.
sorry I know its a tad off topic but what would a pressure test on this car show... I have standard compression for a ga16de (99model -37000k's ) and it was (from memory) 165psi in all four cylinders. (if that is way off its due to my going to get that done while under the influence of a migraine - yay)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts