Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I was planning on doing a SR20DET swap into my 1.6 but after finding out how much works invoved since I dont have a SE-R I cant do it now. So im thinkin about keeping the 1.6 and hooking that but. Im not an expert in motor components but I was thinkin if I would be able to get a spare OEM head for the 1.6 and do what ever I could and swap them out. Not sure what all I can do whats safe to do so give me your feedback. Mainly I got this idea because my 200 is my daily driver and its difficult to have it not running longer then a weekend so I thought maybe this would work, I could build the spare head and put in on in a weekend? let me know, thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard about that on hondas but I dont know of anyone that done it with the Ga motor I thought it was be better to keep it OEM head and jus build it up and swap over ....

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
i wouldn't be swapping heads.

go to a junk yard and yank out a ga16de head and intake manifold, and buy that hotshot header. get a machine shop to clean them up and put in stronger, new valve springs, new valves and guides in the head, get the intake and exhaust ports port matched and polished, and same to the intake and header.

if you want to go higher compression, order some wiseco pistons and con-rods.

if you want to go turbo, buy the ga16de turbo kit from turbo specialties, and at a modest 6psi, its still a reliable daily driver, with more power. if you go turbo, dont buy the hot shot header. get the turbo manifold port matched.

·
Registered
39 Posts
hmm... nice idea
i`m using a ga16ds, i plan to fuel injected this ds by swapping ga15de injection system and the head too, will this possible and reliable?

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
hmm... nice idea
i`m using a ga16ds, i plan to fuel injected this ds by swapping ga15de injection system and the head too, will this possible and reliable?
to be honest, i'd rather have a GA16DS :).

put on twin mikuni side drafts.

if you want to go EFI, you'll need a fuel pump, ECU and wiring harness etc.

seriously you're better to swap in the GA15DE. its 100cc's difference. and basically it's all the same business that has to be done.

doing a carb to EFI engine swap is a little more than standard. i truly do think you're better off to go with twin side drafts, and do the other NA bolt ons, and have the head worked on. there are lots of things available.

JWT cams, header, exhaust, a proper CAI, underdrive pully. all this can be had for less than the turbo kit for the ga16de, and you'll put in way less time and effort and have a near equally powerful engine with a much broader power band.

because of side drafts, i personally think for the 130-150hp goal GA16, the GA16DS is way more capable and very easily too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
wow.... but here in malaysia i dun think we have jwt cams and weber tuning are way too much for a daily city driver here.... but ur ideas are gud thou...hehe....
i wanna make it more reliable, economy and a lil more power hehe... cos my engine not running economy....

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
oh, also, another thing is, that honda head swap, is taking a b16a head and putting it on a b18c block. changes the compression ratio considerably. it was either 11:1 or 8.5:1 lol, can't remember which, but a kid in my service tech class is looking into do it. either way its a good head swap performance wise. boost if 8.5, good NA if 11:1. but i can hardly consider 11:1 economical or reliable. you need a strong as shit engine to handle that.

don't know if a GA15DE head will give you a different compression ratio or not though... they're probably the exact same head, and the only difference being in the bore of the GA15. i don't know the exact specs of the cylinder bore and throw for ga15's and 16's, but my guess would be same head, block, and throw, smaller cylinder bore.

·
Registered
39 Posts
hmmm thanks for ur info...
b4 that i saw a ga16ds swaping the injection system from a ga14de, but it need to do some mod on the intake port to make the injection intake manifold sit properly....
so , wat in my mind , will a intake port grinding finish easier or jus swap a 15de head on easier? sry for my stupid question....i really GA noobs....hehe

ga16de- 76mm bore and 88mm stroke with 9.5:1 CR
ga15de-73.6mm bore and 88mm stroke with 9.9:1 CR

with different bore , the diameter of the combustion chamber on head should not same rite?
no hard feeling ya...maybe i`m too stubborn ..hehe..but i jus wanna learn more from guru here..

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
honestly if what you're looking for is MPFI, just do a full GA15DE swap. it will actually be more work to do a head swap now that i re-think it, because you have to check the deck clearances, and possible re-grind and polish them.

swap in a GA15DE engine. it will be a bit easier than a head swap, seeing as ALL the same thigns have to be done for the head swap, and more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have used the ga14de to make the ga16ds injection and you will need the doner car. the doner car i used was a 1995 nissan sunny. what you need is

* engine bay wiring loom

* dashboard wiring loom

* complete inlet manifold

* exhaust manifold (lambda and egr)

* dash clocks (just bolts straight in (in the nx anyway))

* fuel tank (bolts straight into nx)

* wiper motor and arm (old wiper motor wont like new loom :idhitit:)

* the little water temp sender (wont read right on new clocks)

* the hazzard switch (i just changed the three in the middle)

you will need to do a little work on the head, but not much, you just need to cut a little away to allow the injector to squirt :loser:

here is a write-up i did at the time. i have approx 10,000 miles on this system but have had to take the 1.6 out caus the head gasket blew and i'm going to do a little work on her :rolleyes: the 1.4 ecu seemed to be fueling alright. started perfect, nice top end but acceleration abit delayed at bout 2K

you will need to be abit handy with elecs to join the back loom to the front but its just light, fuel pump and rear wiper motor. the wires just need swapping bout to work on the new loom.

took me a week from stripping the doner car to the test drive

MidnightClub.ie

but if ya dont care bout fuel economy go for some yamaha R1 carbs :rolleyes:

:newbie:​

1 - 12 of 12 Posts