Nissan Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· 800+ posts
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am writing this as a post for newer members who are interested in increasing the power of their GA16DE engines. Seeing the results of other such posts, I do humbly request that other members don't just post "go SR20". That doesn't help anybody out, and discourages a lot of people from trying to do anything with a perfectly good powerplant.

So, you have a Sentra / 200SX and you want it to have a little more "kick" than stock? Well, other than an engine swap, there are a variety of different approaches you can go. Here are just a few (with prices that I could find).

1. cold-air intake kit
This is a basic everyday change. This kit shortens the factory intake piping, and removes the factory airbox. (These are retail prices, eBay costs much LESS)

Injen IS Series Short-Ram = $181.95 ('95-'98)
K&N FIPK Air Intake = $191.84 ('91-'98)

2. exhaust headers
A series of exhaust pipes even spaced and distanced from the cylinder head to provide better flow, response, and power.

Pacesetter Headers (black) = $137.07 ('88-'98)
OBX Performance Headers = $174.85 ('88-'98)

3. underdrive pulley
Lighter weight crank pulley that provides better response.

*I know Unorthodox Racing made a crank pulley for the GA16DE, but their website does not list one available*

4. ignition system
Upgrade your ignition coil, spark plug wires, and spark plugs. I recommend either MSD or NGK components.

5. port matching
Make sure you ports match the manifolds. Fairly easy to do using a Dremel or other tools. If you are inexperienced in this, have a machine shop do this for you. The GA16DE has very small ports, and this is one of the engine's major drawbacks.

6. emissions removal
THIS IS ONLY FOR REGIONS WITHOUT SMOG TESTS! Remove your EGR system from the GA16DE. This includes carbon canister and other miscellaneous junk associated with it. If you have car emissions, do not do this.

This is just a beginning list. All of these available parts can usually be found on eBay at reduced prices that make them even more affordable.

· 800+ posts
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Removing the EGR system doesn't necessarily increase your horsepower / torque, but it will increase the life of your engine. The EGR system takes exhaust gases (nice chemicals and such) and recirculates it into your intake. This is why your intake manifold (if you remove it) is coated in a black film. By removing the EGR system, you eliminate all these chemicals and particulate matter that is being drawn into your engine's combustion chambers. Cleaner air = better engine life. The EGR system is a hold-out from the '70s when the United States decided to try and improve fuel efficiency for vehicles. It hasn't been improved since then, and is still faulty.

The only downside I have experienced is a slight drop in fuel economy (maybe 2-5 miles per gallon tops).

· Registered
250 Posts
Your description of the CAI is incorrect. What you described is a Short ram intake, not a CAI. A true CAI places the air filter out side of the engine bay usually in front of the wheel well. If you are going to make posts like this please know what you are talking about.

Here is what I call the bible on our (B14) cars. It includes all of the information on headers, CAI and port matching/PP, along with suspension and break information.

Sentra.net - Resource for Nissan Sentra, 200SX, and NX Coupe Vehicles

Allot of the products listed are no longer produced, however it dose tell you what to look for when shopping for these parts.

As far as currently produced CAI, OBX makes one for the 95-00 GA16DE. I have one siting at home waiting for me to install, once installed I will post a review on my Cardomain page.

As far as the headers listed, those are the low end headers, and you forgot to mention Weapon-R. Again I have a Weapon-R header siting at home waiting for me to install and review.

I am interested in the argument of gaining power form removing the SMOG stuff. Would you care to explain how that would work?

Thank You,
zachmccool

· Registered
250 Posts

· Registered
741 Posts
are the '95 UR pullys compatible with the 91-94? i would guess they are but i want to be sure. and also....has anyone put one on a ca18de?

· 800+ posts
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I understand that the aforementioned are only short-ram intakes. I also understand I did not include *every* company that manufactures parts for the GA16DE. If I did that, this post would be hours long. This is just a basic informative post.

As for the UR underdrive pulley between '91-'94 and '95-'98, I think it should fit since the crankcase for both generations is the same. I know the GA16DE pulley WILL NOT work on the GA16i engine due to differences in belts and such.

P.S. the headers I mentioned are for the complete header, not just the first piece. That includes downflow pipe and header itself in the price.

Also, if you are worried about harming the environment by removing your EGR valve, don't. As long as you still have a catalytic converter and muffler, the environment will be fine. Your catalytic converter is designed to burn off all excess fuel and chemicals in your exhaust. Just make sure you catalytic converter is still in good shape. I am not saying removing the EGR system will give you more horsepower or torque, I am just saying in the long run in regards to engine life and efficiency, it is necessary. Hard to believe only the US uses the EGR system; even countries with stricter emissions (UK, Japan) have devised much better devices.

· Registered
1,018 Posts
the veterans out here that have had the car 15 years know what you can do with the motor.

91-94

Headers and CAI
pull the AC.
UR pullys ( not made anymore)
UR alluminum flywheel and JWT clutch
JWT cams
Extrude Hone the intake plenum if desired. gains are like 5 hp for 300 bucks not worth it, maybe for turbo.
Port and polish the exhaust ports more than intake, cutback the valves to flow better, port match the header for the exhaust and intake manifold to head.
JWT ECU conversion from SR20 with VTC control board and cam program

Ignition: Don't fool with the MSD box. they do nothing. I used one and it ticked and made the car worse. Don't piss with it. use a good set of magnecore wires and NGK plugs. ONLY NISSAN CAP AND ROTOR!!

I here that the E3 plugs dynoed 4 HP on a bigblock motor. something they do with the electrode shape. Watch Horsepower TV on spike. they did the test.

I would use the 95 SR20 TB on the 91-93 GA16DE intake. just plugs and plays. amazing! upgrade the attachment silicon sleave for the intake pipe from your favorite CAI pipe.

I would upgrade the MAF to a maxima or 300Z or 240SX MAF. the GA16DE MAF from 91-93 is really small and JWT can program your ECU to deal with the readings from this unit. a must for turbo.

thats my 16 years experience with the car. I owned since new!
Chris 92 classic

· Registered
11 Posts
i would actually say the best MAF swap that i've seen was a Ford Cobra mafs.... they're a direct bolt on. You can buy them from JWT for an outrageous $300 or ebay one for $60. SR20 TB, Cobra MAFS, and a good CAI make for a mean intake.

· Certified Ghetto Mechanic
391 Posts
How do you remove the canister? Can you post pics because I have not figured out how you'd safely do that. You need that fuel vapor to go somewhere right? And also, what to do with the vacuum lines left over.

· Wise Cracker
6,155 Posts
i would actually say the best MAF swap that i've seen was a Ford Cobra mafs.... they're a direct bolt on. You can buy them from JWT for an outrageous $300 or ebay one for $60. SR20 TB, Cobra MAFS, and a good CAI make for a mean intake.
This is not true. The Cobra MAF is huge in comparison tot he stock MAF and it does not use a flange to mount...... Secodnly ANY upgraded MAF on anything but a turbo GA16 is a complete waste and will make no HP over the stock MAF, this is true for both the B13 and B14.

Spend your money somewhere else if you are looking for power.

Removing the EGR will also not make more power per se. Ir will reduce most of the crap that can build up in the intake plenum, but the increase in power would be from cleaning up the intake..... There is not a lot of real power to be had here at the cost of increasing emissions pollution.

· Registered
286 Posts
Port matching for example would be if you got headers that had larger runners then the exhaust ports of your head. You dremel the exhaust ports of the head to fit the new larger runners of your headers.

I have seen a few people upgrade to a larger throttle body and port match their intake manifold.

A larger throttle body won't give you any more power on a stock setup. Port matching your head to fit your new headers also wouldn't give you any real horsepower, maybe a quarter of 1. The thing to do would be port the entire intake and exhaust on the head and get a 3 or 5 angle valve job. Even then you would only be able to take advantage of that setup if you got new camshafts. They don't make any aftermarket camshafts for the GA16de anymore (Jimwolf used to make some), so your only option is to get regrinds, which also requires you to have to get all new shims. If you are really dedicated to making more power this way, I suggest you join this forum: The Official GA16 Forum

-----------------------------------------------

Now having said that, this thread really bothers me.

1* Just buy this for a true CAI: sentra cold air intake obx | eBay

2* Exhaust: Buy some OBX headers (not Pacesetters from what I've heard), next take your car to a muffler shop and have them build a 2.25 - 2.5 inch mandrel bent exhaust where needed, definitely from the catalytic converter to the muffler. Removing your catalytic converter is only good for 1 hp, so I wouldn't do it. Finally get yourself a strait through muffler like this: http://kcsbikes.com/Fpics/9_muffler_cutaway.jpg.FP

3* Someone on this forum used to sell the UR pulleys, or just look for a used one somewhere on the net.

4* Upgrading your ignition system is only necessary for turbo/nitrous applications. Other than that you won't gain anything.

5* Port matching was a pointless recommendation without more info.

6* I thought about doing the emissions removal myself, but after much research I concluded it is helping the environment more than it's hurting your car.

-----------------------------------------------

If you would like to know more about the 1.6 ga16de, you should start here, click on 'engine':

Sentra.net - Resource for Nissan Sentra, 200SX, and NX Coupe Vehicles

That site is pretty outdated but it's a good starting point. One thing to note is the company Hotshot is no longer in business.

Next read all 6 of the articles on the ga16de here: Modified - 200SX 1.6

· Registered
286 Posts
I reread your question, I thought you were asking about port matching. You enlarge the ports between where the exhaust manifold attaches and the valves. And for the intake side it would be between where the intake manifold attaches and the valves.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.