Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guy's. I currently own a 1997 Nissan Pulsar N15 Lx Sedan Ga16de.
I have a custom Short Ram Air Intake system, and a 2 Inch Sports Exhaust System with High flow cat Converter and Hi Tech Headers. I am Busting to know what modifications i can do next, i have been told i can put a set of
450 cc Nismo fuel injectors straight in with ECU remapping, but is there any other mods i can do first without getting my ECU remapped?
E.G Would the SR20 Throttle Body replace the GA16DE Throttle Body, and would the Bolt holes line up properly?
And how about a aftermarket Fuel pump? Or even SR20 Camshafts?
Are all these things bolt on and no need for Ecu remapping? I am planning for ECU remapping, but i want to do everything else before that since it is like $700 every time for a remap! :) If there are any Turbo Kits available for my GA16DE that any would could tell me of would be greatly Appreciated as well :)

regard's Jake.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think you should spend some time on jim wolfe technology's website. I know they make cams for ga16 and can do an ecu reflash

·
Registered
63 Posts
I cannot find the website now, but Mike Kojima has a really good writeup about headwork, cams, TB, etc.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Here are some mods that Mike Kojima listed on Sentra.net.

Synthetic Mobile 1 oil can free up some horsepower, and you might want to get some Motul gear oil, that's what Mike was using.

Red Line's Water Wetter can reduce engine temps by 20 degrees, so there is 2% more horsepower.

Setting the timing to 15 degrees (you MUST use 91 or greater octane if you do this mod) will give you 5 horsepower in the midrange at the wheels and 2-3 at the top end. If you want more HP but don't want to have to buy more expensive gas, you can safely set your timing to 12 degrees using regular octane gas.

If you can find an Unorthodox racing underdrive pulley for your engine (Unorthodox quit making them, but sometimes you see them for sale used, or someone can buy 30 of them and sell them on the net) you can get 1 more peak horsepower, and 3-4 through the often used midrange. Mike says it's a great bang for the buck.

Headwork: The head on our ga16de suffers from a bad ratio of exhaust to intake, the exhaust only flows 60% of the intake. Ideally 80% is about right. I personally might dremel my exhaust ports to match my headers, but it would be a lot of work. If you buy a head from a 95-99 ga16de, you can get about 5 HP over the stock one.

As far as a camshaft goes, JWT (jim wolf technology) makes one. Once you are done with every mod you are going to do, you should then order the ecu and tell them every mod you have done, and they will program it for you. It's only good for 7 HP peak (and with no loss of bottom end power which is great), but if you get the ECU it will raise your rev limit to 7300 (since the stock cams were the only thing holding you back from having a 7300 rpm limit, the new one is better and allows you to have a higher rev limit) and the cams can produce an amazing 42 more HP.

The MAF that Mike bought was from RC engineering, but they don't make it anymore from what I have researched. It was only good for 1 HP peak, but it gave 2 HP from 6300 to 7300 RPM. I have heard not to bother with MAFs in this car unless you are running a turbo, or are making a lot of power from your NA setup. I'm sure getting a bigger one will help throttle response, but that doesn't give me any motivation to do it, I would rather spend my money on a different mod.

Extrude honing your intake manifold can be good for 3-4 HP from 4500 RPM and up, and a peak gain of 5 HP. I don't know how much it costs for this mod though. Mike did this mod after he did a lot of other mods, and so you probably will only see those kind of gains if you do a lot of the other mods.

I just realized I have the Sentra.net on archive, o well at least I mentioned what companies don't make what anymore. The site takes forever to load, just be patient. If you wait long enough it will even load the pictures. I call this site my Sentra bible, and I even have it printed off:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050305203514/www.sentra.net/tech/garage/engine.php

·