Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the GA16DE in a '98 Sentra have some kind of variable valve timing. My dad's b14 Sentra really surges at high revs in first gear. It feels like VTEC :rolleyes: but I'm wondering if Nissan had a similar system.

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
Nissan VVL

From what I know, Nissan has a "vtec-like" system called NEOVVL--- a Variable Valve Lift system. I am pretty sure this is not present on any USDM spec motors to date... but can be found overseas on the V-code motors (SR20VE, VET) and others (RB26DETT, RB25DET, etc). The new Z could have VVL.

·
Driver
736 Posts
The GA16DE has VTC(variable cam timing). It adjusts the intake cam timing continuously so you can't really feel it, but at 6600rpm you can feel when the VTC retards the intake cam, reducing power.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well if it's not variable valve timing what would make the engine surge like that???

·
Driver
736 Posts
It is variable. As for the surge, I'm not sure, but I think I know what you mean. In my auto, when I drag launch from 1, it starts slow then at about 4000rpm or a little higher it pulls hard to redline. Maybe the VTC is "feelable" then...

·
1.6 Turbo Power
718 Posts
barnoun said:
The GA16DE has VTC(variable cam timing). It adjusts the intake cam timing continuously so you can't really feel it, but at 6600rpm you can feel when the VTC retards the intake cam, reducing power.
ive never heard of this before, id like to know where you found this out. thanks.

·
Driver
736 Posts
I don't remember where I found it out, but do a search on your favorite search engine for ga16de and vtc and you'll get links that say it's true.

·
Registered
149 Posts
There is something definitely feelable passing 6 grand. I dont know too much about internals (and I might get ridiculed for this) but I always thought it was the second cam kicking in or something. But its the Variable valve timing adjusting the intake cam? Ok.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
200'side said:
There is something definitely feelable passing 6 grand. I dont know too much about internals (and I might get ridiculed for this) but I always thought it was the second cam kicking in or something. But its the Variable valve timing adjusting the intake cam? Ok.
W/ VTC you don't have the variable lift as w/ VTEC. (VVL has it tho). It adjusts the phase of the timing. Isn't the newer systems called CVTC? Well BMW and Ford also use this type of system... I think Toyota does too w/ their VVT-i and Hondas new VTEC systems also incorporate this technology...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Right on. Everyone has their own version. Didn't BMW incorporate it into their new M series. Im sure I read up on it somewhere and it seemed pretty nice.

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
James said:
BMW has it on both intake and exhaust cam shafts and they've been able to do away w/ the throttle body.

Would this be their "VANOS" system?

·
Driver
736 Posts
Double VANOS is their variable valve timing system, but their new system that doesn't use a throttle body is called valvetronic.

·
Driver
736 Posts
James said:
it's done through their valves tho, i don't know the details but the cams are on a little ramp and i think the entire camshaft moves so the lift changes depending on where on the ramp they sit...
You mean for the valvetronic right? I think that is how it works.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts