Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I would like to know what would be the highest rpm that a GA16 engine would stand without breaking apart of course.

Cause I drive mine (sometimes) to 8000 - 8400 rpm, and the connecting rods failed 3 times :loser:

Thx

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do you have a modified ecu? The stock ecu has a rev limiter of 6900 rpm. When you buy a JWT ECU, they raise the rev limit to 7300 rpms. But if you are reving that high and breaking the connecting rods, then, well, you should be able to figure that one out. It also depends on what engine mods you have. But, do a forum search cause I know this has been discussed before.

- Aaron

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mod_That_Sentra said:
Do you have a modified ecu? The stock ecu has a rev limiter of 6900 rpm. When you buy a JWT ECU, they raise the rev limit to 7300 rpms. But if you are reving that high and breaking the connecting rods, then, well, you should be able to figure that one out. It also depends on what engine mods you have. But, do a forum search cause I know this has been discussed before.

- Aaron
Mine is a carburated (GA16DS) b13, so no ECU to limit the rpms :thumbdwn: .... the engine has some mods, for example: lightweight flywheel, crankshaft, pulleys, performance cams, twin 40mm webers, among others.

I'll take a look but I would appreciate your help.

Thx

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Interesting...
Or what is the highest rpm your ga16 (stock internals) have seen?

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
someone hit about 9k on a downshift...but thats negative load...not quite the same as a positive load for acceleration. keep it under 7.3k and you'll be rockin.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
JWT raises the rev-limiter on the GA16DE to 7300 rpm's. If you can confirm that the two motors have the same connecting rods then I'd say 7300 is safe. Aside from the connecting rods valve train harmonics play a huge role in how high an engine can rev and at that range (8000) RPM's you will want to look in to different valve springs designed to work with your cams.

And I gotta ask, why have you let it rev that high on more than one occasion?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx for your comments Wes, they are really appreciated. I’m pretty sure that the GA16DE and the GA16DS have the same connecting rods so maybe that would be the safe limit. The thing is that I’m using stock valves and valve springs and they seem to work well for those revs. I haven’t had any valve problems yet.

Why have I let it rev that high on more than one occasion? Cause even at 8000 rpms (sometimes a little bit more), on 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear at the ¼ mile the car seems to respond well.

And I’m starting to suspect that those revs are not healthy for my engine :rolleyes:, so I would like to know the reason why only 7300 rpms are safe, why not more??, can I use forged internals??…. or based or your experience what would you recommend?

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
I would recommend 'vrooom pshhh' 'vrooom pshhh' ;)
The e16/ga16 engines have a long stroke, more suited for a turbo config than high revs...

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Master_Sentra said:
Thx for your comments Wes, they are really appreciated. I’m pretty sure that the GA16DE and the GA16DS have the same connecting rods so maybe that would be the safe limit. The thing is that I’m using stock valves and valve springs and they seem to work well for those revs. I haven’t had any valve problems yet.

Why have I let it rev that high on more than one occasion? Cause even at 8000 rpms (sometimes a little bit more), on 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear at the ¼ mile the car seems to respond well.

And I’m starting to suspect that those revs are not healthy for my engine :rolleyes:, so I would like to know the reason why only 7300 rpms are safe, why not more??, can I use forged internals??…. or based or your experience what would you recommend?
Apparently you have a steep learning curve. Broken rods on 3 occasions shold more than tell you it is not safe! And hae you dynoed your car to see what kind of power you are making up there. I would imagine that the power is falling off up there so there is little to no dvantage to raising the red-line. As stated the stroke needs to match the intended RPM range. In this case the motor is better suited to turbocharging.

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Btw, this last time the rod didn't break, the metals inside it spun and ended both on the same side...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did you put a Honda engine in their or something? The GA16 does have a little torque. USE IT. Get a turbo kit if you want to maximize its potential. If you want super high revs go get a Spoon or a Wankel. :thumbdwn:

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
jswatson said:
Did you put a Honda engine in their or something? The GA16 does have a little torque. USE IT. Get a turbo kit if you want to maximize its potential. If you want super high revs go get a Spoon or a Wankel. :thumbdwn:
How many times do we have to say the same thing? Turbo has already been mentioned twice. In the tech section we TRY to keep it BS free so recommending kitchen utensils and saying the same thing others said isn't necessary...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wes said:
How many times do we have to say the same thing? Turbo has already been mentioned twice. In the tech section we TRY to keep it BS free so recommending kitchen utensils and saying the same thing others said isn't necessary...
hahahahaha...... I would love to install a turbo but the problem is that it´s a carburated motor remember????, and if you know how to do it, please advice cause if it's possible (reliable) I'll be glad to do it.

Regards.

·
Registered
265 Posts
8400 RPM, no wonder stuff broke. The pins on those rods should snap according to bob legere who had his modified to fit a bigger pin. I'm not sure if teh b14 ga16de has better pins, but who knows. For the time being, best you can do is get nismo cg13de valve springs and custom adjustable cam gears. This will give you the ability to lower the cylinder pressures at various piston positions during the high RPMS, lessing the load on the piston and hence the rods. Rev it to 7600 with 7800 being your adrenaline limit and you might be fine. Get a msd ignition with revlimiter so you don't over rev. There are some ga's with 40's where I live, and they are insanely fast, but like you they often fly a rod over revving. I'm still jealous though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same question...my car (sentra b14 ga16) revs ups 7200...and the ecu cut fuel injection...and i dont have any modification...and the red line stock is like 6500-6800...i dont know what's happening..

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Why would you need more than 7200 rpm?
Its enough, even for a moderately modded ga16d
If it works ok leave it alone
Peace

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
If i remember correctly i revved my old b13 ga16de w/195k miles up to only about 6500. It was a worn out motor. I bought it with 193k thousand and it had the STOCK air filter from 91 in it :EEK:

·
Registered
502 Posts
7200rpm are more than enough for the GA16DE!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts