Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know who would SERIOUSLY be interested in a thermoblock spacer for the GA16DE. A company called outlaw engineering who curentlymakes these spacers for other applications is trying to gauge serious interest as far as the GA16 market. So please post if this is something you would SERIOUSLY consider purchasing.

Before you ask please read the following link thoroughly as it explains what the spacer is/does and also gives you an idea of the kind of install you would be looking at. I would assume pricing would be similar to the rest of their kits.

http://www.outlawengineering.com/nissansr20hiframe.html

In a nutshell the spacer is designed to be installed between the intake manifold and the cylinder head to reduce the level of heat soak between the two. They are generally effective and the kit outlaw would most likely produce would provide us with spacers for the intake manifold and the throttle body. I would estimate that we would see similar gains that is shown on the link I posted, realizing that I am talking percentage and not the same amount of power. Please realize these things are proportionate. This would also be a good for all cars, especially turbo cars given their increased underhood temps.

Please post if you are interested so that we can show Outlaw that we are serious about this mod.

This is not the group buy section, this is just so that we can gauge interest. Production infow will follow if their is enough interest.

And please, read the link before you post...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Definitely.

I have been following the development of the spacers on the SR20Forum and have heard good results.

Only request I have is the possibility of producing the TB spacer for those of us that have an SE-R TB on the GA. I "assume" the current SE-R spacer would work, thoiugh.

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
I'd be interested in one of these, but ideally I'd like to see a dyno of one on a GA16 before buying.
Also since the GA16DE has coolant running through the manifold wouldn't the temp reduction be lessened? Do they make this product for other engines that have coolant running through the maifold? I don't know that much about the SR20, but from looking at the spacer/gaskets they show I don't see a coolant passage.

·
Nis-ho
556 Posts
i kno i kno, but when they had the tornado (i think thats what its called), they claimed a hp boost, and had dynos.

turns out, it was nothing more than BS

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aminidab said:
I'd be interested in one of these, but ideally I'd like to see a dyno of one on a GA16 before buying.
Also since the GA16DE has coolant running through the manifold wouldn't the temp reduction be lessened? Do they make this product for other engines that have coolant running through the maifold? I don't know that much about the SR20, but from looking at the spacer/gaskets they show I don't see a coolant passage.

I agree on the dyno. however we have to have them made first...

If you look at the roller rocker SR20 spacer you can see the coolant passage on that product.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
himbo said:
i kno i kno, but when they had the tornado (i think thats what its called), they claimed a hp boost, and had dynos.

turns out, it was nothing more than BS
Whatever man, not even the same ballpark... This is a real world dyno before and after the part...

And did you look at the link posted and all of the applications they make spacers for?

Please, if your not interested in the product simply don't post. I didn't create this thread to BS about how you feel about the product...

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
The whole thing makes sense and I'm sure it does whatever they're saying it was supposed to do but I was just saying $100 for a set of gaskets is a bit overpriced. I'll just wait till some other competitor will make something for less. Then again my engine is not turbo ... It's about how much you want it.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If these are the kinds of responses I am going to get the forget this shit. If you don't want to spend the $$ DON'T POST. You guys are going to kill our aftermarket if you continue to be cheap skates that are willing to patronize companies that steal the work of people that take the time to do the R&D. Because when the companies that do the R&D decide to take off because their design has been stolen then WHO is going to design NEW products?

NO ONE and you will be stuck with half ass products that are CRAP. I guess some of you might not care though, after all, ignorance is bliss.

Honestly I will just pull the plug if people don't quite bitching about the price/posting useles BS.

Did I say this yet? I DON'T CARE IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
wes, I'm sorry I appologize there's not need to get mad... It's only one opinion which prolly doesn't count as much as yours.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Twiz said:
wes, I'm sorry I appologize there's not need to get mad... It's only one opinion which prolly doesn't count as much as yours.
Everyone's opinion counts as much as mine, the problem is your not posting an opinion, your complaining about the price. I did not ask for input on price I asked for interested parties at the listed price.

People always complain about the lack of aftermarket and yet it is always the same people that step up to do something about increasing it.

FWIW here is info on the spacer itself taken from the Outlaw web-site.

"ThermoBlok spacers are made from a laminated phenolic composite with a thermal conductivity of 0.29 W/m*K. Aluminum on the other hand has a thermal conductivity of 150 W/m*K, more than 500 times higher. You must also remember that there is a gasket, commonly steel (20 W/m*K thermal conductivity), placed between the manifold and head. Replacing the 0.025" thick steel gasket with a .250" ThermoBlok thick spacer will conduct an amazing 688 times less heat (yes, that's nearly 70,000% reduction!)."

It is more than a set of gaskets...

·
Registered
281 Posts
for a hundred bucks you get about 9whp gain? Sweet I would buy that. It's more hp then the $200 Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulleys. :thumbup:

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
johnand said:
Definitely.

I have been following the development of the spacers on the SR20Forum and have heard good results.

Only request I have is the possibility of producing the TB spacer for those of us that have an SE-R TB on the GA. I "assume" the current SE-R spacer would work, thoiugh.
I have the current spacer they offer for the SE-R TB and while the bolt pattern is the same it has to be re-done for us because of the casting cavities on the back of the B14 GA TB. Otherwise yes the hole pattern is the same.

·
Registered
281 Posts
wes said:
Well we might not see 9 HP but most likely we can expect the same 3-5% increase...
That's still ok with me, I would still buy them. Give me a month notice before you are going to buy them so I can add it to my monthly budge :)

1 - 20 of 106 Posts