Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I over heated my pulsar on a very hot day climbing a hill, and had it towed home - running it in the garage, i could see that combustion gases were bubbling through the radiator and through the overflow resv.
also, the heater was not working in the car (i was trying to draw the heat out any way I could) - only cool air was flowing.
this tells me that the head gasket has blown - is this a correct assumption?

I've since removed the head and found more than 80% of the coolant ports around the cylinders were completely or mostly blocked with rust (!!!)

there is no obvious indication on inspection of where the gasket had blown except for a piece that had eroded up to the metal ring in the gasket where it borders the cylinder hole.

I am now heading out to buy a replacement gasket and a few replacement coolant pipes that were rust coated and decaying.

does anyone have any general advice?
I can't see any cracks, the head appears to be quite straight when checked with a straight edge. The only thing I'm wondering about is taking out the radiator to flush, since the whole system is obviously very rusty.
the dilemma is that I want to put on the gasket and get it running to see it it was just the gasket, at which point i will want to remove the radiator and have it cleaned to increase the cooling ability. but of course it will be easier to remove the radiator NOW with the head and manifolds out of the way(is this an incorrect assumption?).
i don't want to pay $$ to have the radiator cleaned now, and then find that the gasket wasn't the source of the combustion gas in coolant, and therefore my car will not be worth fixing (ie the block is cracked or something similar).
see my dilemma?

I'm really just voicing my thoughts and I'd really appreciate someone with experience here offering theirs - have i missed some other source of the combustion gases in the coolant? the car seemed to drive ok after overheating, it would just overheat again after 10 minutes (ie due to gas in the coolant ports, not water)

thank you for any advice,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So no one replied, but I've finished the replacement and engine is running better than before.
Incase someone else is doing this : The gasket i removed appeared to have the water ports rusted up and blocked over most of the gasket, but I found that the gaskets are made with cylinders 1 2 and 3 nearly completely deviod of coolant ports. This must have been a redesign of the gasket to improve flow. Only the 4th cylinder has full sized coolant ports.
My old gasket appeared blocked at these ports but really it was years of rusty water in contact with the exposed gasket material.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts