Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 1990 Sentra with the original GA16i engine in it. It has about 175k on it but has developed a rear main seal leak and is blowing oil into the cylinders (not bad but....). A friend of mine has pointed out to me that I might be able to find a JDM engine (perhaps off of ebay) with low mileage for ~$500 shipped. For example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...y=33615&item=7950649584&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

However, all of the engines I have found so far have been GA15. What is the difference between the 2? I have never changed an engine and am not looking for increased performance (unless you count running vs not running increased performance). I am looking for minimal differences between what I take out and what I put in.

Any ideas or suggestions regarding this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
163 Posts
looking @ the same engine, is that a TBI engine? doesnt loook like it.

·
Moved on...Ciao!
629 Posts
The GA15 will fit in where the GA16 is; I've had no issues with any differences, if there are any. There is no difference between a carbureted one and a fuel injected one; It's all in the intake manifold...if your car is injected, your induction will bolt right on.

The only difference between the two is that the GA16 uses hydraulic rockers; the GA15 uses the same ol' set-screw adjusters the E-series engines use. Just adjust them to .009 cold or .011 hot. Best of luck!

·
off topic VIP
388 Posts
that manifold looks trick
i wonder how much more power it creates?? the manifold looks like it'd take to turbocharging ok

·
Registered
163 Posts
i emailed the guy he says it does come with the manifold

·
off topic VIP
388 Posts
what about the ecu?

it would be cool to get the complete package. i dont know if it would all work without the ecu and related hardware

·
Registered
163 Posts
you need an ecu?
out engines are already TBI,
er i had a GA16i in mine, so mine is.

and i though a GA15 is direct replacement for a GA16i
so wont the ecu work the same?

i guess i can ditch the computer if i have to
and do some vacum advance or somthing
i have a friend who can make any car work with no ECU
freekin redneck savant,
he made a dodge van work by ripping out the computer
and installing a rotory its faster and gets better gass millage now!

well anyone got any advice for me cause im probably
gonna buy this engine, as a replacement for mine.

i have been sentraless for 3 weeks now.

auction ends tomorrow <sunday>

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
buy the engine and pull off the intake. Replace with you stock intake which should bolt right up. No need for an ECU, just use your own

·
off topic VIP
388 Posts
nooo i didnt explain.

what if u were to use the mpfi intake?? it would require a different ecu, correct?

ya i know if i were to just put on the ol tbi kit it would all work, but it would be trick to have real fuel injection

·
B.A. Theatre B.S. GA16i
187 Posts
This engine is your best bet for a "stock" replacemant. Just ditch the "new" intake manifold and bolt up to your existing GA16i manifold. Don't get cute (like I thought I could) and swap valve trains. The manual adjusting ones will be more reliable. And call it a day!

Sell your MPFI manifold to Galimba1. Chuckle, 'cause he'll get involved in a never ending project (like me). The ECU from the GA16i will not function with this manifold.

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
nooo i didnt explain.
what if u were to use the mpfi intake?? it would require a different ecu, correct?

ya i know if i were to just put on the ol tbi kit it would all work, but it would be trick to have real fuel injection
if you go to MPFI, you'd have to get a 91+ GA16DE ECU, and do some (well, alot) re-wiring with your harness.

Sell your MPFI manifold to Galimba1. Chuckle, 'cause he'll get involved in a never ending project (like me). The ECU from the GA16i will not function with this manifold.
*sigh* . . . yep. Luckily, vacuum diagram isn't that much different. I'm still looking for a pin-out diagram for a GA16DE ECU

·
Soon to be GA16it
444 Posts
If you gonna have to use the 91-94 GA16DE ECU and engine harness to run the GA15, might as well swap in a GA16DE and have more power. It should not cost that much between the two engine, plus the higher potential the DE have over the 15E.

·
B.A. Theatre B.S. GA16i
187 Posts
But where's the fun in that! Uniqueness is cool too! I'd like to be the only kind on the block with a GA15et and It's not going to happen if I swap to GA16de!

·
Soon to be GA16it
444 Posts
Your right, GetsomeGOJO, that's been done before. Why not use a standalone fuel management for the GA15E like SDS EM-4. Boost_boy uses it for his CA18DET Sentra and swears its the best purchase he made for his car.

·
Registered
163 Posts
okay i bought it, its gonna get shipped to the garage.

SDS EM-4 huh? im looking around
@ fuel managment system
i would like to try and use the intake manifold

this is gonna be an adventure

<hopefully not one of epic proportions>

541-1000 $ for em-4 wow $$$

·
Registered
163 Posts
ended up getting the ga15 E i think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...y=33615&item=7950649584&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

but this thing is freekin JDM

has anyone ever done the wiring on one of these?
i think im i for some touble.

now that i look @ the pic the wires are on the other side
thus it being japanesse.

and isnt JDM timing diffrent? i hope i can use my ECU?
man krap i hope i can get this engine running!!!

·
Nissan/Mazda Gumshoe
1,052 Posts
wow, great deal. 300 for the motor/tranny combo. it shoudlnt be to difficult

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
omnimedia said:
ended up getting the ga15 E i think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...y=33615&item=7950649584&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

but this thing is freekin JDM

has anyone ever done the wiring on one of these?
i think im i for some touble.

now that i look @ the pic the wires are on the other side
thus it being japanesse.

and isnt JDM timing diffrent? i hope i can use my ECU?
man krap i hope i can get this engine running!!!
Hehe, time to outbid, just to screw with you. j/k
I know the thing drops in, wiring and timing should be the same. Anything missing on the JDM motor, just pull it from your old GA16i. And yes, you can still use your old ECU.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts