Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GA15(E) MPI SOHC 1.5L stalls immediately when cold unless I give a little gas for a few seconds. Then if I immediately use brakes or power steering it will stall again. (interestingly, the A/C doesn't have any effect like the brakes/steering that I can tell)

If I let it warm up for a few minutes then it will stop stalling.

The idle also hunts sometimes, searching for the right speed. This is not often, and doesn't ever seem to do it when engine is cold.

I assume this is something to do with the idle control/ automatic choke, however I am having alot of trouble finding a manual for this engine, since it apparently was a japanese only engine. (I'm in New Zealand).

Can someone give me some advice on how to start diagnosing?
what I've got so far (from google) is that the idle control is probably done via air control to the mixture (as opposed to an electric motor manipulating the throttle cable) (i may be completely wrong here). What I understand is that the air flow controller can get gunked up, slowing the idle search process and making the engine hunt.

I can only assume that fixing the hunting will also fix the cold stalls.

Can anyone offer any help?

the car is a Nissan Pulsar 1988 X1-E Milano.

thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks for the reply - I was beginning to wonder if I'd posted it in the wrong forum...

yeah, I guess its rare in north america?
what I was hoping was that it would have the same essential parts as say the GA16i, and that someone would be able to offer advice based on their experience with that engine - I'm guess though from your reply that it's unique (and apparently sought after?)
Just out of interest - whats so desirable about the harness and manifold over others?

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
the GA16i and GA15E are basically identical aside from the fact that the 1.5 is MPFI and the 1.6 is TBI. almost everything else should be the same. their displacement difference is only 100cc's which is 25cc's per cylinder. that's nothing. what that is, is simply one has a smaller cylinder bore. probably identical blocks externally. head is the same, aside from the obvious fuel delivery.

the reason the 15e harness and ECU are so precious to me is that i want to make a GA16E. i'll be using a GA16DE ECU and harness, but a GA15E would be that much simpler. that's all lol.

and yes, the engine is incredibly rare in north america. as in non-existent. it's japan only, and rare even over there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nissan Engine GA15E Starting Problem when cold

Hi!
This is Mahmud from Bangladesh and I'm facinig the same problem with my Nissan Engine GA15E (came with Nissan Laurel Spirit 1989).

Actually I'm facing problem to start the engine when cold.
Can any one help me or give me an advice.....I'll be so greatefull

My e-mail ID is "[email protected]"

Please help.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts