Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Thai Pickup with 35000 genuine miles , and it is intermittently not starting , it is not getting spark at the plugs then it will decide to start and drives well but after a rest it may again refuse to start, its just turns over and then it sounds like it locks up like the timing is off and its then it starts ,timed at 10 degrees Plugs plug wires, coil replaced ,injectors cleaned ,

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,766 Posts
Never heard of it. If it's made by Nissan, what country is it sold in? We'll need more specifics like what engine and transmission.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,767 Posts
That's cool! First one I've seen. The GA16DNE is a Mexican version of the GA motor that was also available in southeast Asia. It differs from the US-spec GA16DE in that it doesn't have variable camshaft timing and has throttle body injection rather than MPI. No starting and no spark when hot is a clue to what's going on. Usually this occurs on ignition related components such as cam sensors and distributors. I haven't worked on a DNE but I would suspect the cam sensor (sometimes called an optical sensor or even crank position sensor) is inside the distributor like the distributors on our older, Nissan engines in the US. The engine wrenching, or "locking-up as if out of time," is interesting in that I have seen that occur due to RFI interference through the EGI harness on some Nissans in the US. Sometimes this will occur when aftermarket accessories are installed. Sometimes a bad starter can cause this. I had a few 95-96 A32 Maximas that would do this when there was corrosion on the transmission bellhousing to engine block contact area, which caused a poor starter ground that caused the RFI interference. What the RFI interference does is transmit through the harness and interfere with what the ECM inputs and throws it "out of whack," so to speak.
So, what should you do? I would first check the battery, the condition of the battery cables and their contact points (clean or replace as needed), and pay attention to the starter when cranking to see if it sounds weak or is turning too slow. If it is, you may consider replacing it. Check the EGI ground points on the engine and make sure they are clean and tight. If all seems good and you are still having issues with hot starts/no spark, I would recommend replacing the distributor, preferably with a genuine Nissan or Hitachi brand part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your reply , I put a used distributor in and it fired up straight away, then put back the old one to see if it would start and it didn't , so back in the used one went , it was still locking up and any timing adjustments made no difference , it would give an indication of a flat battery and I would hit the starter and every 4th attempt or so it would start, I took it to an Auto electrician and he changed a brass bush and the back bearing along with the brushes in the starter motor, also the battery was changed.It starts now first time ,Your information was spot on and much appreciated

1 - 6 of 6 Posts