Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
57 lbs (28.5kg) for the allowy
63 lbs (31.5kg) for the spare on a steelie

so I decided to rotate tires today and for giggles I weiged my wheels. '04 SE 16" 6-spoke alloy wheels with the stock rubber (265/55 Dueler H/T)

weights obtained with digital bathroom scale and each weighed 3 times for an average.

imagine how much better our PF would perform if we could drop wheel/tire weight 10lbs or so...

edit: got my kg to lb ratio wrong.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
added pictures of corrosion on wheel...anyone else see this on their wheels????

instead of starting another thread, I decided to add to this one...oh, I still got the kg weight wrong on the wheels. I forgot that 1kg = 2.2lbs....anyway, I hope everyone gets the idea.

back to the wheels...while rotating them, I cleaned them too and saw that all of the wheels have what looks like corrosion on the aluminum. The PF has been driven year 'round in places that use Magnesium Chrolide (CO) and Sodium Chloride (OH) to mitigate snow/ice on the roads.

These wheels only have 22,xxx miles, but haven't been given timely baths, in fact, I think this is the first full wash. The outside face has only been cleaned, never the backside. Also, notice how the corrosion is concentrated behind the spokes.

Anyone have any opinions, thought, comments? Can this be removed easily or will the entire backside of the wheel need stripped and recleared?

:eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my rims on my '96 dont even look that bad o_O

and i live in alaska.
I've been there too, but they really don't use chemicals on the road - Anchorage, Fairbanks - they just use windshied chipping stones and sand.

My VWs wheels are painted on the backside and no corrosion on the painted surfaces, but the thinnly cleared backs of the PF wheels doesn't stand up to the road chemicals after the vehicle sits after being driven.

Using a wire brush didn't work either. Granted, I didn't put a lot of pressure on it, but those spots didn't budge.

The back of the wheel may not even be cleared and this is what is causing the spotting. I just wish I was able to put wax on the wheels when the car was young.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts