Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can see from the name I have a 98 sentra automatic GXE. I love my lil sentra, and was going to attempt to modify it visually and with some minor engine mods. BUT maybe for the past year or so I have been running into some problems, all but one have been corrected or fixed, and its the worst one. I've noticed that for the past year or so I've been losing power in the low gears first and second, and now its gotten to the point where if I step on the accelerator all the way down almost nothing happens, the car goes so slow. When it gets into 3rd though, it seems to have no problems. The problem is I need the low gears to pick up because those are the most important when I'm driving( getting on the highway, pulling out into traffic etc). I've also noticed some funny shifting on hills, it seems like 2nd stays in gear for 2 long, and sometimes, the car will shift in and out of second like its having trouble figuring out which gear to be in. I know its not the air filter, and I did have a small hole in the intake manifold, that I welded up so its not that either. So my question is, what are your takes on this? Its goin to the shop regardeless trying to get a heads up.

Note: On random days the car will have no problems at all, but this doesn't happen very often, and usually when it does, after a while the power drops.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have personally experienced this problem in a few cars owned
over the years and in most, if not all cases, it was a clogged cat
causing excessive back pressure.

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
P 98 autoGxE said:
As you can see from the name I have a 98 sentra automatic GXE. I love my lil sentra, and was going to attempt to modify it visually and with some minor engine mods. BUT maybe for the past year or so I have been running into some problems, all but one have been corrected or fixed, and its the worst one. I've noticed that for the past year or so I've been losing power in the low gears first and second, and now its gotten to the point where if I step on the accelerator all the way down almost nothing happens, the car goes so slow. When it gets into 3rd though, it seems to have no problems. The problem is I need the low gears to pick up because those are the most important when I'm driving( getting on the highway, pulling out into traffic etc). I've also noticed some funny shifting on hills, it seems like 2nd stays in gear for 2 long, and sometimes, the car will shift in and out of second like its having trouble figuring out which gear to be in. I know its not the air filter, and I did have a small hole in the intake manifold, that I welded up so its not that either. So my question is, what are your takes on this? Its goin to the shop regardeless trying to get a heads up.

Note: On random days the car will have no problems at all, but this doesn't happen very often, and usually when it does, after a while the power drops.
That's sounds like the problem I'm having. I'm thinking the problem with mine is related to the clutches in the tranny slipping. I know it's not the cat cuz I had no cat until recently and I've had this problem for about 8-9 months. I'm not saying it's the tranny but that's what I'm thinking on my car. I know on mine it runs pretty quick for a little bit after a cold start and then it lags horribly. I'm gonna be getting with a friend of mine whose both a mechanic and a the owner of a 94 Sentra E with the GA16DE motor. Gonna check timing first and then look into some other stuff. If I find it's something other than the tranny I'll be sure to post it up.

Mitch

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have you looked at the Tranny fluid? If so, was it black? If it was, the fluid is spent and you need to get it serviced, NOT FLUSHED! A flush can make it worse if your fluid is black, but if your fluid is still a darkened red, a flush is ok and probably not your problem. If black, however, you should get the normal pan-drop service done so you can see if there is any excess of clutch material in the pan (which is a slimey, grey crap found near and around the magnet if Nissan Autos have the magnet. If the auto has a plug, it might be magnetic and pick up that crap and the metal shavings. A little is normal, but clumps are not). If there is, it would be time for a rebuild or a replacement, both are nearly the same price.

·
Registered
332 Posts
BIRM_200SX said:
Have you looked at the Tranny fluid? If so, was it black? If it was, the fluid is spent and you need to get it serviced, NOT FLUSHED! A flush can make it worse if your fluid is black, but if your fluid is still a darkened red, a flush is ok and probably not your problem. If black, however, you should get the normal pan-drop service done so you can see if there is any excess of clutch material in the pan (which is a slimey, grey crap found near and around the magnet if Nissan Autos have the magnet. If the auto has a plug, it might be magnetic and pick up that crap and the metal shavings. A little is normal, but clumps are not). If there is, it would be time for a rebuild or a replacement, both are nearly the same price.
what is considered "excess clutch material"? when i changed my tranny fluid @ 125K, which was the first time it was done i belive(2nd owner), there was what i thought to be a lot of slimy black stuff around the magnets on the pan. but then again this is my first A/T car(and i really miss that 3rd pedal) so i have no idea what is alot....
thanks

·
Registered
612 Posts
Get it checked by a reputable transmission shop, NOT AAMCO! Tell them what it's doing, and tell them everything. When it comes to this kind of problem there's no such thing as too much information. The mechanics will know what is related and what isn't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.