Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there every actually put a functional hood scoop onto an Xterra? Or knows where I can have one installed here in Southern California? I have an 02 Xterra........ :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
XterraSupercharger said:
Anyone out there every actually put a functional hood scoop onto an Xterra? Or knows where I can have one installed here in Southern California? I have an 02 Xterra........ :thumbup:
I installed one on my 200SX. You can judge whether it is something that interests you.

Clicky.

Lew

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Don't you get a lot of water over your manifold with that scoop in your hood ? And if you run your car at high speed in really cold weather... is that scoop something that'll help your engine ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SoCal Weather

Well here in Sunny Southern California, the coldest it get is 50, and that's at 5:15 in the morning, so cold weather is not an issue for me, that is I don't think it is?!?!?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Twiz said:
Don't you get a lot of water over your manifold with that scoop in your hood ? And if you run your car at high speed in really cold weather... is that scoop something that'll help your engine ?
I put it on to dump a lot of air into the engine compartment because of the very high under-hood temperatures caused by the turbo. I measured the intake air temperature during an acceleration run and at highway speeds and found that at 70mph the under hood temperature was 105*F and during acceleration it was 125*F at an ambient temperature of 88*F. You can see the temperature trace here. It is the blue trace in the top part of the bottom graph. I haven't measured the temperature since I put the scoop on, but it's got to be lower.

I don't drive in the rain unless I get caught by a storm in transit, and haven't noticed any problems. Also, it rarely gets cold here in South Texas, so I can't comment on that.

I have mixed feelings about the scoop, and decided to get this CF hood in the next month or so.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
That B14 looks like a mix in between a Lincoln and a BMW. The hood looks nice... It'd look even nicer if it was carbon fiber for that price. I keep forgetting turbo uses a lot of heat so that won't affect turbo-ed engines much in cold weather. I wasn't able to get my car up to the normal temp in a really really cold temp and I installed a big piece of cardboard in front of the radiator. It worked nicely... only in extreme temperatures. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
God Bless Cardboard in the winter :thumbup: but hey that for my winter driver, the tracer... but hey who ever first thought of that needs to be thanked :fluffy:

·
Viva el iPod
1,232 Posts
I've contemplating a hood scoop, but I've had the same worry about rain. I wonder how the guys that have functional ram-air/cowl-air do it (we sell the Keystone restyling functional scoop hoods at work, but they get drop-shipped so I never got a chance to study one).

·
Registered
264 Posts
bII said:
I've contemplating a hood scoop, but I've had the same worry about rain. I wonder how the guys that have functional ram-air/cowl-air do it (we sell the Keystone restyling functional scoop hoods at work, but they get drop-shipped so I never got a chance to study one).
I have a '69 Cougar Eliminator and it's got a big ole scoop on it. It's wider then on that 200SX and it's about a 3/4 inch opening, so pretty big, but really good looking.

I've never had a problem with water in the engine compartment. Even when it snows; the snow doesn't get into the hole. The engine heats up the hood pretty good and seems to do a good job at dissapating the water before it can flow in. It's a mystery. :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts