Nissan Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That's crazy, I never knew that. I guess we learn something everyday. So are Mitsubishi engines really unreliable? I mean their engines in the Eclipse and Lancer are the same and are pretty powerful, but are they lacking in reliability?

· CA18DET Wizard
2,177 Posts
Mitsubishi engines are just like any other! The only difference between mitsubishi breaking a timing belt and nissan breaking a timing belt is that you can kiss your engine good-bye when you break the belt on a 4g63. But on a nissan you just replace the damaged valves and keep on trucking. They are very reliable and can kick a little butt. Put the turbocharged 4g63 in an elantra and you can fight with an SR20DET powered vehicle. Take that same engine, leave it in the eclipse, give it 20lbs of boost and my CA18DET powered vehicles just literall kick their fat butts all over the highway. Eclipses are too heavy for that engine that's why they added 2 more cylinders to the eclipse power plants..........I like mitsubishi over anyother car company except nissan. You ever heard of mitsubishi's variable timing system? It's called MIVEC and those little engines make luch of the honda stuff. Just an FYI...............

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hmmm.... MIVEC all these "VTec" motors are practically the same. They all monitor the timing of the valves. Honda just go there first. All the car companines have their strengths, otherwise they wouldn't be in the Market. Mitsubishi added a 6cyl. into their car to compensate for their weight? Hmmm... actually I don't know why they put a 6cyl into an Eclipse. They should have either made the 6cyl an inline-6 with a small turbo, or just stick with the little 2.0 4cyl turbo. But then I've never seen the new Eclipse run... so I dunno. The 3000GT was discontinued maybe that's why the Eclipse is a V6.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
boost_boy said:
The only difference between mitsubishi breaking a timing belt and nissan breaking a timing belt is that you can kiss your engine good-bye when you break the belt on a 4g63. But on a nissan you just replace the damaged valves and keep on trucking.
Um... not if you're talking about the SR20DE. The SR20DE has a timing CHAIN, not a belt. If that chain goes, you can absolutely kiss your engine goodbye.

And Nissan has its own variable valve timing and lift system called VVL... 200 HP out of a 1.6 liter 4. :)

· Registered
167 Posts
And actually...you can't compare an RSX Type-S VTEC to the Celica GT-S vvt-i. The Honda's use valve timing so much better. And...eclipse motors are unreliable. I am always going to my female friend's house to look at her car to see what is wrong with it this week. I have heard stories from other eclipse owners as well. I won't buy one.

Ju§tin

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.