Nissan Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Zak91SE-R said:
Beat an Eclipse Turbo with an XE? Man, Eclipses are not the pinnacle of speed, but they'll run mid 15s on a bad day. I vote for "major mechanical problems" on the Eclipse side of things.

Older eclipse turbos are known for mechanical problems, the turbochargers don't hold up to continued abuse very well.
A 1g DSM turbo with over 120k miles that hasn't been treated very well likely isn't getting boost and needs a turbo rebuild and wastgate replacement.

That being said any 1/2g dsm with a factory turbo that works should stomp all over a N/A b14 Sentra or 200sx, SE-R included. Although an SE-R 5 speed with a great driver might have a very good chance if it's decently modded provided the Eclipse/Talon/Laser is stock, an auto, and the driver doesn't know what he/she is doing.

205hp/210ftlbs 2500lb car or 205hp/210ftlbs 2700lb car if it's AWD

v/s

110hp/108ftlbs 2300lb car or 140hp/133ftlbs 2500lb car

:rolleyes:

· Registered
16 Posts
Zak91SE-R said:
Actually I'm fairly sure Eclipses are heavier than 2500 lbs, and the AWD ones are heavier than 2700 In fact, Cars.com has the weight for the GSX at 3,270, and the GS-T at 2,970. But aside from that, Eclipses have one other issue to deal with - heat soak. It's really bad at full throttle on the freeway. They have one good run in them, and then they get slower. Assuming everything is stock of course. I personally have taken out Eclipse Turbos on the freeway when I was NOT heavily modded... they're not all that fast, and they're heavy. Still, I would expect one to beat an XE under almost any conditions.
:shrug: my #'s are from the door stickers.... but msn.carpoint has similar #'s.

Heat soak? I've never heard of that being a problem with a DSM.. they do have preignition and/or detonation problems from time to time (haha stock).. why else would Mitsubishi bother putting a side mount intercooler on them?.. they're budget sports cars at the most.. The combustion chamber pressure still sucks at higher rpms though..

I'd give a SE-R the benifit of a doubt against one though, modded that is.. that's off the line though.. and with a GST, not a GSX. Although given enough room an SE-R regain the ground it lost at launch V/S a GSX.

I don't believe in freeway battles, what's the point.. do you just see who feels like backing down first so they don't end up getting hurt?
It's all about momentum if the cars are anywhere close in hp/tq.. who ever has the most forward motion going for them at the time, and really whoever instigates the race is gonna win.

Where I'm from we call that a "fly by".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.