Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I raced this mitsubishi eclispe turbo 93' with my almost brand new sentra xe 01' with no mods, you probably won't belive this but I beat him two out of three times, I was shocked as I left him by at least by two car lenghts, the third we raced I miss shifted and lost, but this was only a1/4 mile sad to say he beat on the highway, ever since then I have been braging to my friends!!!!!:)

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beat an Eclipse Turbo with an XE? Man, Eclipses are not the pinnacle of speed, but they'll run mid 15s on a bad day. I vote for "major mechanical problems" on the Eclipse side of things.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
ive beaten many eclipses in the last two mounths even ones with turbos. i think people get over confident and forget there driving a piece of [email protected]#t, then again alot of people under estimate the power of my little nissan 200sx and just assume there going to win, then i pull like a car length ahead and they just get really pissed off when me and my roommate are laughing at them and i say should have bought a nissan!!;) of course i get my ass spanked every time i try to race an integra, but damn i cant help my self to racing, s#$t i even tried racing a 300zxtt!!! that was just funny light turns green and im left in the dust laughing at my own stupidity:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Zak91SE-R said:
Beat an Eclipse Turbo with an XE? Man, Eclipses are not the pinnacle of speed, but they'll run mid 15s on a bad day. I vote for "major mechanical problems" on the Eclipse side of things.

Older eclipse turbos are known for mechanical problems, the turbochargers don't hold up to continued abuse very well.
A 1g DSM turbo with over 120k miles that hasn't been treated very well likely isn't getting boost and needs a turbo rebuild and wastgate replacement.

That being said any 1/2g dsm with a factory turbo that works should stomp all over a N/A b14 Sentra or 200sx, SE-R included. Although an SE-R 5 speed with a great driver might have a very good chance if it's decently modded provided the Eclipse/Talon/Laser is stock, an auto, and the driver doesn't know what he/she is doing.

205hp/210ftlbs 2500lb car or 205hp/210ftlbs 2700lb car if it's AWD

v/s

110hp/108ftlbs 2300lb car or 140hp/133ftlbs 2500lb car

:rolleyes:

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually I'm fairly sure Eclipses are heavier than 2500 lbs, and the AWD ones are heavier than 2700 In fact, Cars.com has the weight for the GSX at 3,270, and the GS-T at 2,970. But aside from that, Eclipses have one other issue to deal with - heat soak. It's really bad at full throttle on the freeway. They have one good run in them, and then they get slower. Assuming everything is stock of course. I personally have taken out Eclipse Turbos on the freeway when I was NOT heavily modded... they're not all that fast, and they're heavy. Still, I would expect one to beat an XE under almost any conditions.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Zak91SE-R said:
Actually I'm fairly sure Eclipses are heavier than 2500 lbs, and the AWD ones are heavier than 2700 In fact, Cars.com has the weight for the GSX at 3,270, and the GS-T at 2,970. But aside from that, Eclipses have one other issue to deal with - heat soak. It's really bad at full throttle on the freeway. They have one good run in them, and then they get slower. Assuming everything is stock of course. I personally have taken out Eclipse Turbos on the freeway when I was NOT heavily modded... they're not all that fast, and they're heavy. Still, I would expect one to beat an XE under almost any conditions.
:shrug: my #'s are from the door stickers.... but msn.carpoint has similar #'s.

Heat soak? I've never heard of that being a problem with a DSM.. they do have preignition and/or detonation problems from time to time (haha stock).. why else would Mitsubishi bother putting a side mount intercooler on them?.. they're budget sports cars at the most.. The combustion chamber pressure still sucks at higher rpms though..

I'd give a SE-R the benifit of a doubt against one though, modded that is.. that's off the line though.. and with a GST, not a GSX. Although given enough room an SE-R regain the ground it lost at launch V/S a GSX.

I don't believe in freeway battles, what's the point.. do you just see who feels like backing down first so they don't end up getting hurt?
It's all about momentum if the cars are anywhere close in hp/tq.. who ever has the most forward motion going for them at the time, and really whoever instigates the race is gonna win.

Where I'm from we call that a "fly by".

·
Registered
135 Posts
The only way that you could have beaten a eclipse gs-t with your xe is if you either got a 10 second handicap, or if he was having some serious maintenence problems. I don't understand, you say you get beat by integras (stock around 140hp) but you could beat a tubocharged eclipse like no deal (210hp). There is almost no chance for even a fully bolted on se-r to beat a stock gs-t. Turbo against N/A? No. I raced a 98-99 eclipse gs-t with my current mods, I/E/cam/ and I still lost. This should give me about 50hp and at least 20-30 ft. lbs. more than you, but you would still be faster?

Ju§tin

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Eclipses suck, but the engines aren't all that bad. I have a 1993 hyundai elantra and though it's my work car, I've smacked up many civics, nissans, toyotas and anything that wants to play. It has the same motor as the N/A eclipse, but in 1.8 trim. They have excellent torque and hell I've even gotten my P>O<S Elantra up to 140mph (Did I see it's a P<o>S). But I love the 4G motors and I do agree that something must have been mechanically or mentally wrong with that mitsubishi duo. Pretty soon, I'll be building my 1989 Hyundai Excel (4-dr) which I've already dumped more money into building that engine than I 've dumped creating my girlfriend's B12. Maybe a B14 could beat my 2184lb excel, but not an eclipse GS-T. My 30cents worth.......................

·
Registered
139 Posts
i dont know what it is. see my friend has a 2001 GS eclipse and i have raced him in an 1/8. We are both stock and he dident even beat me by a car length.with bolt on mods i could esly take him.:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
UHHHHHHHHH Hyundai Elantra 140mph.....sorry but I'd have to see it on tape to believe it. My cousin had one and it shook and felt unsturdy at 95 ish. They are just not made for that. I dont even think you could get and Eclipse GS to 140 and even if you could it would take you 3 years.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, I dunno about this... my friend has a 1998 Mistubishi Eclipse GST Spyder and I've beaten him with my brand new SER, but I don't count it because he doesn't main his turbo, plus he isn't a streetracer, but neither am I. :confused:

The point is, I've seen AWD Talons tear up RSX Type S's and other 4 bangers... I would like to point out that either this story is a miracle, BS, or the driver was half brained monkey. Either way, if you beat him, coolio. :cool:

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
As far as my P>O<S elantra going 140 mph, I could care less to prove it to anyone because driving that car that fast is insane, but then again you don't know me either. It's no worse than driving a b12 4-dr past 170mph; believe it or not! But then again you don't know me. My elantra has jap-spec 4g67 and uses a 1.6 elantra ecu. It runs rich then lean and I love it. It takes me to and from work safely and it's a fun car. But then again you don't know me! I have an 89 hyundai excel that I'm going to drag using a 4g63 (well-built). You may call that stupid and the car ugly, but it's my money, my skills creating the crappy under dogs and hell, I get a fat kick out of smacking up very expensive cars (It's just my personna). So importracer, i'll say this and say it one time only, I don't need to lie (Point blank) and when I post here everything I type is about as real as it gets. The post was about the eclipse kid and I'm merely standing up for the motor, not the car. I'm a sick nissan fan and I think Nissan is the shiznit. But I also think mitsubishi's are [email protected] too as I got a real good testament to that while stationed in Japan. So if your car can't go 140mph that sucks, but my elantra can......(Smell the raunchy exhaust.........Peace>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thats what IM sayin. I dont know you nor do I want to know you.
I understood you were sticking up for the engine not the car that is why I said even an Eclipse GS cant hit 140 and it could it would take 3 years to get there. My car can go past 140 but thanx. WOW a jap spec Hyundai almost as good as putting a vette motor in that thing. Lets be serious that car is not even close to being sturdy enough for 120 let alone 140...matter fact it would probally gear out on you....but then again Im sure you were proabably dumb enough to drop 5K in engine work. Bottom line you should be embaraased to brag about a Hyundai. If you are suchc a die hard Nissan lover why wouldnt you have an old ass sentra. By the way how many cars do you own. By reading posts you must have like 10 cars and they all drop 12s. NIce story I read it as a bed time story to my kids when i have them...
Peace out

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They make Hyundai Japspecs? I thought Hyundais were Korean cars? Well, I've seen those new Tiburon's and it almost looked like a Supra... styling is alright, but what about the power? Then again, it is a V6... oh well... I like my 2002 SER! :cool:

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
From 1986 to 1996 all of hyundai's power trains were mitsubishi built. The excel shared the same crappy power plant as the dodge colt/mitsubishi mirage, galants and sonata shared the same powerplants and the elantra got smaller versions of the 4G63 (2.0) in 1.6 and 1.8 and even had a 1.6 turbo in the dodge/mirages. The engine in my car is the same as the older eclipses, but in a 1.8ltr. Very smooth with good torque and very reliable. So yes, the ugly cars are Korean made, but the power plants are all mitsubishi. And when Hyunda started making their own power trains, they could afford to put those awesome warranties on their product. Makes sense though because if mitsubishi just made the motor and hyundai corporation is responsible for the warranty, then Hyundai gets screwed with all the crappy mitsubishi engines breaking down and mitsubishi laughs all the way to the bank......

1 - 20 of 25 Posts