Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nissan sunny which i load with unleaded 95. If instead of unleaded 95 i put 98 or 100 will this hurt my car?Is it going to increase performance?
Also suggest some inexpensive ways of improving the car's performance.
Thanks

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
It won't hurt but probably won't help either.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
if you're naturally aspirated, you won't see any performance gains from it.

if you're boosted, you can up the boost a few psi and run a little safer....thats how you get power from it.

·
Viva el iPod
1,232 Posts
What year sunny? If you run higher octane you can move your timing (if its possible to move your timing, most modern cars its not possible), not a lot of gains though.

More money = more power. Very cheap (or free) "mods" tend to give you negible/no gains in general. Figure out your realistic goals and thern you'll have some idea of what it will cost you to get there.

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
techinically you will have increased hp, but probably something like 1/16th of a horse. high octane gas burns longer, so its still burning and expanding as the piston is moving down. this produces prolonged pressure which increases HP, but its so negligable i wouldn't even consider it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bII said:
What year sunny? If you run higher octane you can move your timing (if its possible to move your timing, most modern cars its not possible), not a lot of gains though.

More money = more power. Very cheap (or free) "mods" tend to give you negible/no gains in general. Figure out your realistic goals and thern you'll have some idea of what it will cost you to get there.
1999 model

·
TRIPPLITE COMMAND CONSOLE
109 Posts
id say just run what your manual says..
till you get some better mods.

keeps the car happy. LoL

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
If it's naturally asperated I wouldn't waste my time with high octane gas. It's just a waste.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
♣AsleepZ♣ said:
If it's naturally asperated I wouldn't waste my time with high octane gas. It's just a waste.
If you're running big cams and a JWT ECU, I think you might change your tune.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
bahearn said:
If you're running big cams and a JWT ECU, I think you might change your tune.
But he doesn't SO..... Looks like my tune is staying the same...

And those really aren't inexpensive ways of boosting performance... Your looking at a grand there.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
♣AsleepZ♣ said:
But he doesn't [have big cams]SO..... Looks like my tune is staying the same...

And those really aren't inexpensive ways of boosting performance... Your looking at a grand there.
I was replying solely to your statement about N/A and octane.

Dollar/horsepower is not good for SR20; they're too small and too good from the factory to see significant power gains by any inexpensive route.

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
he's talking about cams that open the valves longer and a reprogramed engine control unit (ecu)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tavel said:
he's talking about cams that open the valves longer and a reprogramed engine control unit (ecu)
And what improvement should i expect doing these.I am at 105hp now

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
With cams and a JWT ECU you could net probably over 30 more HP.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Well it depends on the car, you've yet to tell us what you own...

But either way it's going to cost around 1K for the parts and if you have someone else install them (the cams I expect you to be able to plug in another ECU) your probably looking at 500 to 700 maybe even more added on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts