Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all.. i am in the process of turbocharging my 200sx se-r i now have a s14BB turbo and a stock det manifold... both portmatched.. i have a 3 " exhause some 500cc injectors and a cobra mass air meeter.. i am considering an alternitive to fuel management than the jim wolf.. i have a few friends who are great tuners and could tune a fuel computer such as stand alone or AFC... i my self dont see the point of spending 500 on a computer i alredy have and then every time i upgrade a part i have to send it in for 2 weeks and get it re programed spending another 200 for that.. so i am goign to go with the AFC for now... the only question i have is when i upgrade teh MAF it is going to send diffrent voltage signals to my ECU will the AFC be able to use that diffrent MAF eventhough it is sending diffrent voltages.. also the injectors i have are not msd's or nissans.. will they work with the AFC and finaly if tuned properly will teh AFC work for fuel management...
thanks for any help i can get
justin

·
Registered
354 Posts
do you currently have the AFC? i was going to run a haltech on mine and at that point you are completely seperated from the stock ecu and you make adjustment though a laptop. or there is SDS that is roughly the same but doesn't require a laptop, it has its own programer and is only marginaly cheaper.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes currently have the AFC i was also considering the haltech.. wich will probly come in the future.. i am looking to push 300hp wiht the SAFC anything above that i will then go to the haltech due to price diffrence i am looking to go with the AFC for now.. but i would like to upgrad the injectors mass air and fuel pump with the afc i just want to know if it is possible
thanks for the help
justin

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe it is possible, don't know about reliability, but check out Emanage too. And please... let us know how it goes.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
200sx se-r-t said:
hello all.. i am in the process of turbocharging my 200sx se-r i now have a s14BB turbo and a stock det manifold... both portmatched.. i have a 3 " exhause some 500cc injectors and a cobra mass air meeter.. i am considering an alternitive to fuel management than the jim wolf.. i have a few friends who are great tuners and could tune a fuel computer such as stand alone or AFC... i my self dont see the point of spending 500 on a computer i alredy have and then every time i upgrade a part i have to send it in for 2 weeks and get it re programed spending another 200 for that.. so i am goign to go with the AFC for now... the only question i have is when i upgrade teh MAF it is going to send diffrent voltage signals to my ECU will the AFC be able to use that diffrent MAF eventhough it is sending diffrent voltages.. also the injectors i have are not msd's or nissans.. will they work with the AFC and finaly if tuned properly will teh AFC work for fuel management...
thanks for any help i can get
justin
Forget AFC's and the twiddle boxes, you end up fighting the ECU's self learning loop and get inconsistant running. The AFC does not have enough leeway to tune for a bigger MAF and way bigger injectors. The ECU will probably go into limp home mode when trying to compensate for injectors much bigger than 440cc, at least in my experiance. What 500cc injectors are you talking about? No one makes 500cc injectors unless you are talking modified RC injectors.

If you want a stand alone, get an AEM ECU, a lot of capabilty and very easy to tune with a great user interface.

Unless you are good at ECU tuning and have access to a true horiba or Motec broad band 5 wire sensor A/F meter, it is best to stick with a JWT ECU.

Mike

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my goal here was to keep cost down.. if i had endless funds i would get a haltech... the jim wollf to me is a joke.. why spend 500 to get the ecu programed.. then wehn i change injectors or MAF i have to send it back in and have down time on my car.. i just dont like that idea at all.. by the time i had the damn thing bought and tuned once or twice i could have bought my standalone by then... and had 10 times more control as well as the freedom to tune it when evey and on the fly... as far as the injectors they are toyota mr2 injectors they came out of a turbo charged mr2 from i dont know what year... if the ecu wont handle it... here comes for m y second question.. what if i am shooting to use 370cc injectors from a 300Z and keep the stock MAf until i decide to run more power... the next upgrade i do will include the haltech.. as well as a larger turbo... if needed as i said i am runnig a s14 turbo it should be pretty good as far as boost goes... thanks for any help i might get

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok boys AEM doesnt make theyr computer for Nissan....

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just checked out the e manage.. it seems like a good system any thoughts?

·
You get what you pay for.
156 Posts
Doesn't AEM have a universal unit? I am using the AFC currently in cunjunction with a BB ECU. I plan on seeing how much power I can get out of it consistantly before I switch to something else. A friend of Mine John Huh's turbo spider made 395 Hp AFC tuned in the SCC shootout for 400 hp cars, and was voted the most consistant of the 4, which included Shaggys turbo 200.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not sure.. i went to aem's web page and looked at applications.. i dindt see any universal ones in there.. i dont think there is becaues it is a plug and play ecu replacement... as far as the afc goes... i want to chang the MAF and Ijectors so it may make a diffrence on how well it will work

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
aem makes their system for everything. i beleive it is compatible w/most every car...just they don't make wiring harnesses for some vehicles and they will have to make one for you or something like that. jwt isnt a joke though...they are very good at what they do as the mike that posted above can vouch for. i do however share your thought on if i am going to spend $500+ to get my ecu reprogrammed and have to keep sending it off, why not just buy a system that replaces the whole ecu.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Aem universal system hasnt been released yet. They have updated there software which includes Autotune now tho. This enables those with a W/B O2 to punch in the desired a/f ratio... and the ecu tunes for it. Check this thread out http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=316594&page=1
Or another option is getting the W/B O2 and a e-manage. Use the extra slot for the 2nd maf to datalog the O2 while driving for real time feed back and cross reference the voltage to the rpm. That obviously is for safety not power. Tuning for power is on a dyno.

·
3 bar MAP
1,381 Posts
my goal here was to keep cost down.. if i had endless funds i would get a haltech... the jim wollf to me is a joke.. why spend 500 to get the ecu programed.. then wehn i change injectors or MAF i have to send it back in and have down time on my car.. i just dont like that idea at all.. by the time i had the damn thing bought and tuned once or twice i could have bought my standalone by then... and had 10 times more control as well as the freedom to tune it when evey and on the fly... as far as the injectors they are toyota mr2 injectors they came out of a turbo charged mr2 from i dont know what year... if the ecu wont handle it... here comes for m y second question.. what if i am shooting to use 370cc injectors from a 300Z and keep the stock MAf until i decide to run more power... the next upgrade i do will include the haltech.. as well as a larger turbo... if needed as i said i am runnig a s14 turbo it should be pretty good as far as boost goes... thanks for any help i might get
JWT=plug&play...u can make a lot of reliable power very easily.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JWT's ECU is far and away the best plug and play solution. You will never get your car to run as well with a standalone system as it will with a JWT ECU.

As far as 370cc injectors and a stock MAF - 250 HP is the max HP you'll be able to run. Both the MAF and the injectors will be completely maxed out at that point.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
200sx se-r-t said:
An AFC can compensate for 370cc injectors ok but has proablems with larger ones. Don't get a haltech, they are one of the worst stand alones out there. Haltec, PMS suck. A Tech 3 is pretty good for the money, it has a nice interface, fairly easy to program.

An S14 turbo is pretty small on the exhaust side although it has a ball bearing center section. A GTI-R turbo is the best cheap turbo to bolt onto a SR20.

Mike

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my goal is 300hp i plan on doing auto x's with the car what woudl be a good way to go ? and cost worthy

·
Registered
80 Posts
morepower2 said:
An AFC can compensate for 370cc injectors ok but has proablems with larger ones. Don't get a haltech, they are one of the worst stand alones out there. Haltec, PMS suck. A Tech 3 is pretty good for the money, it has a nice interface, fairly easy to program.

Mike
Mike say if you get a bigger maf and bigger injectors? Wouldnt they negate each other to a point, then have the afc correct for the difference? Ive read of a good example where this has happened on a MKIII Supra. That someone has hit 622whp on a Lex afm and upgraded injectors with the S-afc to control fueling. Others border 500whp consistently. If it works for them wouldnt it be possible for us as well. Im just curious since my JWT program isnt as great as posted by others.

·
156 Posts
I hear speedpro is a good engine management system. I've also heard some people have great success with SDS stand alones.

morepower2 said:

An S14 turbo is pretty small on the exhaust side although it has a ball bearing center section. A GTI-R turbo is the best cheap turbo to bolt onto a SR20.

Mike

·
156 Posts
I tend to disagree Zak. From my understanding JWT tunes their ECU's to run super rich, now that may be good for reliablity sake, it isn't for making HP. I for one would rather run tighter Air fuel ratios to obtain more power, then run rich, and not get the most out of my motor. Just IMHO.

Zak91SE-R said:
JWT's ECU is far and away the best plug and play solution. You will never get your car to run as well with a standalone system as it will with a JWT ECU.

As far as 370cc injectors and a stock MAF - 250 HP is the max HP you'll be able to run. Both the MAF and the injectors will be completely maxed out at that point.

·
Registered
354 Posts
there is also Motec engine managment systems that are only marginal more expensive. and from what iv'e read they are the end-all beat-all of stand alones. i whole heartedly agree with the ability of tuning your own car when you need it. in the long run its way cheaper. and as far as "not" being able to tune your car to the ability of JWT, ill have to call BS on that. anything is possible with time and a dyno. just because JWT is the most widely accepted ECU for our cars doesn't mean that some one cant tune any better. like mike said "I for one would rather run tighter Air fuel ratios to obtain more power, then run rich, and not get the most out of my motor." JWT has liability issues so they can't tune the shit out of the ECU for fear of being sued for blowing up some ones motor.

good luck with the stand alone, i hope to someday hear your results.

my $.02

1 - 20 of 183 Posts