Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
What do you mean fuel light. The one that comes on when you are running low on gas? If so hen it should be right by you gas gauge, mine is in the lower left corner by the gas gauge if this is what youre talking about.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
yep right under empty:D . changes intensity too. little yellow guy. its time to get gas when it stays on full all the time, trust me and dont ask how i know!!;)

·
Registered
500 Posts
My gas guage is off somewhat, and I don't know why. My gas light came on fullbright one day and I winged it and drove from Hurst to Grand Prairie and back (about 35 miles round trip for those not in the Dallas, Texas area) and I still never ran out of gas. I never really know. I just reset the trip odometer and fill up every 300 miles or so.

·
Driver
736 Posts
I filled up at 315 miles on my last tank...the needle was on E but no gas light came on...next time I'll try and wait for it to come on.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i usually get about 320 per tank. The needle barely graces the top of the white part where the E is at. Does it turn on at the bottom?? When i fill up i put about 10 or 11 gallons. Is it a 13 gallon tank??

·
West Coast Redneck
1,127 Posts
Never.

Only ONCE with my 97 sentra did my fuel light come on. I actually ran out of gas one time, because I misjudged how much I had in my tank (Way back in the day, I used to get 360 miles to a full tank, now I get around 260-280), Not once did my fuel light come on. I'm curious about that...my dealer can't seem to find the problem. I just fill up now when I am at 1/4 of a tank. --> good rule of thumb, IMO.

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
Before I did a cluster swap my gauge cluster did not have a fuel light. The new cluster I put it does have a fuel light and it works once everything was rewired correctly.

·
Registered
500 Posts
It's a 13 gallon tank. Sometimes mine comes on above E and sometimes below. It's tempermental.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
I think i got to about 30 miles, after the lil red light came on. Was in the desert, and forgott to get gas before i left the dang city. So at least 30 miles from when the light 1st comes on.

·
Driver
736 Posts
hmm...that's probably why aminidab also only noticed the fuel light working with the cluster with the tach, and not before. Guess I don't have a fuel light in mine(no tach)...does anything bad happen to the engine if you run it 'till it runs out of gas?

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
well its is not good for the fuel pump if you are constantly running under a 1/4 tank of gas. Im not sure if it hurts if you run out of gas, and also im not sure if you might have to hit a reset switch like in some domestic cars.

·
Driver
736 Posts
Does the fuel pump have to work harder to scavenge the gas from the bottom of the tank, or does it get damaged because it gets dirty from picking up the stuff that's at the bottom of the tank?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts