Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just recently (in the last couple tanks) noticed that my fuel gauge when full is reading between the full mark and 3/4 full mark. When i first bought it used a fill would read all the way past the full mark and would not start moving until i had between 30 and 50kms on the trip meter. Any ideas as to what would cause this and if there is an easy/cheap fix? If not then what would be involved in correcting the problem?

·
Registered
184 Posts
It's either the instrument cluster or gauge, the mechanism inside the tank, or a connection in between. When the tank is full, does the level move up and down significantly between 75-100%, or does it act like a regular fuel gauge (albeit it where 80% = 100%)? Is the SES light on and have you pulled any codes?

Try to get a wiring diagram and find the wires coming from the fuel tank level sensor to the instrument cluster. Do a visual check of the condition of the wires and connectors, to make sure everything is OK.

Unplug the connector for the fuel level sensor and turn the key to the 'On' position; with infinite resistance, the gauge should read empty. Connect the signal wire for the fuel level sensor to ground; with no resistance, the gauge should read full. If either of these tests fail, your gauge or instrument cluster is at fault.

OTOH, if the gauge responded correctly, then it's the sending unit that's at fault; possibly from a recent rough bump or off-roading. It's an inexpensive part, but since it's inside the fuel tank, the labour is *not*.

It's possible that the mechanism is simply stuck, in which case a ride on a bumpy road might loosen it up. But if that's the case, it'll probably get stuck again in the future.

Oh, and say hi to Serenity for me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
works like a regular gauge. there is no fluctuation at all until the kms reach the point on the gauge where it would normally be (at 80% or so. then it moves down like normal. empty is still empty. seems like it would be the float or something like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts