Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, hopefully anybody out there can help me with this really annoying situation.

So months ago my SES light came on, I put in my OED reader and it said it was code P0462 "fuel level sensor circuit low." I cleared it, but weeks later it came back on. Eventually the fuel level sensor really have must've gone bad because the fuel gauge needle wouldn't move anymore, or only a little bit some days, stuck on full. Never on low.

So I finally got the part, took it to my mechanic yesterday, and he put in the new fuel pump with new sensor altogether. He said I ordered exactly the right thing which I was happy about. So I left the shop this morning and the SES light was gone and no issues, but then as I got home about an hour ago, the light came back on, giving me the same code.

This is really getting annoying. Does anyone have any idea why I'm getting the SES light and the code again even though I now have a new fuel pump and sensor?

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,479 Posts
Since you replaced the fuel pump, the P0462 coming on again could be due to any of the following causes:
  • - Bad replacement fuel pump.
  • - Harness or connectors (The CAN communication line is open or shorted).
  • - Harness or connectors (The sensor circuit is open or shorted).
  • - Bad combination meter on the dash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since you replaced the fuel pump, the P0462 coming on again could be due to any of the following causes:
  • - Bad replacement fuel pump.
  • - Harness or connectors (The CAN communication line is open or shorted).
  • - Harness or connectors (The sensor circuit is open or shorted).
  • - Bad combination meter on the dash.
If it's about the harnesses, what can I do? Would it be easy enough to do myself?

·
7,479 Posts
A lot of times problems such as yours are due to bad harness connections. It's easy enough to inspect all the harness connections for tightness, insure that the pins are clean and no oxidation. It's a good idea to have a PDF copy of the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your car which has good diagnostic procedures and wiring charts; you can download an FSM from: Owner's Manuals or Nissan Service Repair Manuals

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot of times problems such as yours are due to bad harness connections. It's easy enough to inspect all the harness connections for tightness, insure that the pins are clean and no oxidation. It's a good idea to have a PDF copy of the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your car which has good diagnostic procedures and wiring charts; you can download an FSM from: Owner's Manuals or Owner's Manuals.
So then it would be a pretty easy fix?

·
7,479 Posts
I just made a correction few moments ago; refresh the posting.

·
7,479 Posts
So then it would be a pretty easy fix?
If the fix was a bad harness connection, then it can be said "easy". However if the fix involves other components, then the FSM becomes your vital tool.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the fix was a bad harness connection, then it can be said "easy". However if the fix involves other components, then the FSM becomes your vital tool.
I really want to hope that maybe the new fuel pump needs a few driving sessions to maybe adjust or something. The one I got on Amazon is supposed to be a really good brand that has almost zero negative reviews. Even my mechanic said I picked just the right part. Or maybe I need to try filling up the gas tank again and perhaps that will get it right.

·
7,479 Posts
There's nothing to adjust on the fuel pump by driving the car around; it's either good or bad. Which particular pump did you buy; post the item description here and I'll look it up on Amazon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's nothing to adjust on the fuel pump by driving the car around; it's either good or bad. Which particular pump did you buy; post the item description here and I'll look it up on Amazon.
It was the DWVO fuel pump.

·
7,479 Posts
I took a look at it on Amazon; it looks like a good replacement. At least you've got a 2 year warranty on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts