Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Whats up guys and gals. I have an 89 sentra and used to show it in the semi custom daily driver class. Thos were the good ol days. Now I want to bring it back to life but there is a slight problem. As soon as the ignition is on the fuel injection begins to fill the throttle body with gas. Let me know what you think the problem could be.
 

·
I miss good ol' OT
Joined
·
1,716 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Try the Sentra section with your question. I'm sure you'll get some replies.
 

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
Joined
·
2,136 Posts
Hi and welcome. the problem must be the oring sealing the injector inside the tbi... youll have to replace those ... not much costy but precaution should be taken as it can be hard to take it off without breaking in ... use your soft touch to pull it out, change the oring or injector if the plastic where sits the oring is broken... normaly it shoudnt fire fuel until you crank it up. if it as soon as the pump is started, then its leaking from the orings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crazy-Mart said:
Hi and welcome. the problem must be the oring sealing the injector inside the tbi... youll have to replace those ... not much costy but precaution should be taken as it can be hard to take it off without breaking in ... use your soft touch to pull it out, change the oring or injector if the plastic where sits the oring is broken... normaly it shoudnt fire fuel until you crank it up. if it as soon as the pump is started, then its leaking from the orings.
Thanks Crazy-Mart,
I will give the a try. I read in a repair manual that if my battery is not at full charge this could cause the injector to malfunction. I will take a look at both and let you know my findings.
 

·
Nissan Junkie
Joined
·
917 Posts
Charge the battery and then change the o-rings or just do the whole injector if the orings are bad then who knows what the rest of the injector is like and the injector should not be more than 60 or so new. That is what I would do also watch it when you pop the top of the injector cause there could be presure built up in there have been sprayed more than once. But good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,266 Posts
good luck finding a new injector for $60 , I just bought one not too long ago a rebuilt beck arnley injector for $79 ( the cheapest one I saw!!), as for the problem is the fuel coming out the top of the injector? It may just be the o-rings or the injector may be bad ( like mine was), for removing after you remove the black plastic ring on top of the throttle body you can use a pair of pliers to pull the injector straight out, I believe that's what the factory service manual says and is how I puled my injector out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ahardb0dy said:
good luck finding a new injector for $60 , I just bought one not too long ago a rebuilt beck arnley injector for $79 ( the cheapest one I saw!!), as for the problem is the fuel coming out the top of the injector? It may just be the o-rings or the injector may be bad ( like mine was), for removing after you remove the black plastic ring on top of the throttle body you can use a pair of pliers to pull the injector straight out, I believe that's what the factory service manual says and is how I puled my injector out.
I looked inton the injector prices and they were in the $200 range. I noticed that the fuel is leaking out of the underside of the injector but this is only when the ignition is on. I am going to try a used tbi and see what happens.
 

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
Joined
·
2,136 Posts
than its only the bottom oring that needs to be changed ... it try that before changing the tbi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I replaced the TBI, the air intake maniofold.No more fuel gushing form the injector but the car will not start. When I use starting ether the che car will run until the ether burns off. It sounds as if it flooded but I don't think that is the case. I am going to check some of the fuel sensors. Any other ideas are appreciated. :thumbdwn:
 

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
Joined
·
2,136 Posts
have you hooked the injector correctly ?? ... my guess is you mismatched 2 wires that are in this area... one for the injector the other for the water temps sensor (if im right) they got the same exact plugs... interchange those. see if it starts from there :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crazy-Mart said:
have you hooked the injector correctly ?? ... my guess is you mismatched 2 wires that are in this area... one for the injector the other for the water temps sensor (if im right) they got the same exact plugs... interchange those. see if it starts from there :)
Yes,I am sure,but earlier there was a mention to check the o-rings. so I did so and discovered that there was a o-ring that was damaged and once ait was replaced the fuel problem was solved. Also, I changed the intake manifold and after a half can of ether and intake cleaner she fired up and is running fairly smooth. WOO HOO!!!!tHANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR INPUT. I have lots of other obstacles ahead and will be seeking your help soon. :thumbup:
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top