Nissan Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
For my 2007 xtrail the fuel gauge seems to go into the red too quickly. When you try to fill it up with say 20 or 30 liters the tank is filled up to the brim suggesting that there was some considerable amount of fuel although the fuel gauge was indicating red for a long time. i pressed a certain button twice ( trip button i guess) and there is a distance that's being shown in kms but cannot read the description as it is written in Japanese. I assumed the distance shown means distance to be covered by the amount of fuel in the tank. I have been keeping an eye on this distance to see it if it comes down as i travel. I filled up my tank the distance read 491km but as i started driving the reading started to fluctuate initially going up to about 515km and then coming down to about 500km and then going down to about 431km. i have travelled about 60km abd the reading is now about 260km which for is rather too low given only 60km that i travelled. Not sure whether the reading will go up again and this reading is just confusing and whether it should be relied upon . Help please!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

My Nissan xtrail 2007 seems to also have a problem with fuel gauge. The fuel gauge seems to go into red too quickly than usual. When i fill up the tank with say 20 or 30L , the tank is filled up to the brim suggesting that there was some considerable amount of fuel in the tank although it has been showing red some a long time. I have pressed the trip button twice and there is distance shown but cannot read the description as it is in Japanese. I assumed it meant distance to be covered with the amount of fuel in the tank. i only discovered this yesterday and i filled up my tank to almost full capacity and the distance reading was 491km. As i drove off the distance started to fluctuate and initially going up to about 515km before coming down to about 431km . The distance keeps fluctuating between 400km and 270km . I have only travelled 60km and the reading now stands at 260km which is a bit strange for me considering that i only travelled 60km. Not sure if the reading will go up to show a more reasonable distance and should this reading be relied upon before one refuels?

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,071 Posts
Hi Togara
Welcome to the forum. I am not too sure what you are describing as Canadian models did not have an estimated fuel range feature, just a gas level indicator and a trip mileage indicator that you can reset to 0 when you fill up so as to measure the distance until you hit empty. Is yours T30 or a T31 model version? For what its worth the speed and conditions you are travelling at will cause your estimated range to change. My X trail can readily do over 500kms on a tank with reasonable speed highway driving. I can also get less than 325kms on a tank in winter and pure city driving. So what you are seeing maybe normal. I assume you still have a regular gas gauge as well that shows gas level. Hopefully that is working properly for you, and that you will get a better feel for the actual gas mileage your Xtrail is getting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This seems to be a somewhat common fault as I've found several threads asking about it, but I have not yet seen any solutions. My gauge worked properly when I bought the truck a year and a half ago but it gradually became less and less reliable. For a while I could still rely on the empty light, but now the gauge reads full 95% of the time and I don't think I've seen it go below 3/4 of a tank. I just replaced both sender units with some used ones, and while it is possible the used ones have the same fault, it seems unlikely.

Has anyone done anything else to resolve this?
I've owned an NT30 2007 2000cc petrol model in Nairobi now for 6 years. As someone has suggested, looks a common issue. On Valentine's day this year the gauge delayed me by addressing first. I'd full tank and travelled 160km and all over sudden showed me 1/4 tank and dipping rapidly towards empty. My mechanic was buffled like and suggested I too to fill again. Wow, filled only 23L and gauge showed full tank again.
What do others say. Thanx

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mine has been wonky for ages. I just zero the trip meter at every fill, and when it gets close to 500 I fill it. I had the same issue with my RAV-4! :geek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, new here. Long term T30 Xtrail owner.

I'm having troubles with my fuel gauge also. I found the resistance way out of range on the secondary fuel sender. I used some resistors to simulate the correct full and empty resistances to ensure the averaging unit and indicator was OK. Which they is. I'll probably pull the sender out and clean it up before sourcing a new or second hand one.

My fuel gauge almost constantly reads empty or near empty with the low fuel light illuminated.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts