Nissan Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Banned
5,869 Posts
mpw991 said:
It you look at the picture of the cable close up there is a piece of plastic in between the metal swing arm and the bottom half of the cable. This little circle of plastic was originally part of the upper section of the cable. It was connected to the molded plastic part at the of the protective covering for the cable. What happens when you push on the fuel door release is the protective cover is pulled to the front of the car and the piece of plastic that once used to be connected to it pulls on the metal swing arm. This then pulls on the cable to the right and opens the fuel door. When the plastic part breaks away from the rest of the cable there is nothing to pull on the metal swing arm anymore, thus the fuel door doesnt open. I hope this explaniation is clear enough. Later today when I get back to my desktop I will highlight the plastic piece and work with the picture a little to make it a little clearer. On how the motions actually work.
Cool thanks, good explanation. :thumbup:

· Registered
60 Posts
i have the same prob and will try some zip ties but for now i get a flat screw driver and pry on it a bit after i push the release switch cause it is just barely catching

· Registered
51 Posts
I've got this very same problem too. Except, I screwed it up my self. My push lever worked fine until I pulled on the manual line. That's interesting how you hooked that up. My trunk want open either unless somebody's back there at the same time I pull up.

Do I need to buy a whole new cable assembly, latch assemble and striker?

· Registered
51 Posts
mpw991 said:
Here ya go.

The plastic ties was a good idea and works great opening the fuel door but for some reason my dome light wouldn't go out. The light of the dash says the doors are open. I took the ties off and the light went out but I was back to square one. Is there a certain way or trick to this?

· Banned
5,869 Posts
slicked25 said:
The plastic ties was a good idea and works great opening the fuel door but for some reason my dome light wouldn't go out. The light of the dash says the doors are open. I took the ties off and the light went out but I was back to square one. Is there a certain way or trick to this?
That's a very odd problem. There may have been tension on the hatch release, which will set off the dome light and possibly the door ajar sign too. You might have had the zip ties too tight or not quite in the right place. Might want to do some experimenting. Get a bundle bag of zip ties and go to town..... :thumbup:

· Registered
29 Posts
I have the same problem, luckily when i bought the 300 the guy before me was in the process of changing the interior so it has none right now. i can open the fuel door just fine using the cable in the last picture. guy at the pump mocks me tho :p.

· Registered
3 Posts
My husband is working on my mother-in-law's 1985 300zx. There is a small metal box (about 2"x2", maybe a little bigger) in the rear hatch, passenger's side, under the cargo carpet/padding... we're not sure what it is, but it is completely rusted out. It is attached to the wiring, could be a relay of some sort. We need help figuring out what it is so we can replace it. Unfortunately I don't have the car here, so I can't take a picture of it right now. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

· Registered
3 Posts
Yep, I'm new to this forum... I posted this in the wrong place. I've already re-posted in the correct place (I hope), but starting a new thread. There really isn't much else back there in the location I mentioned. And it is the only small metal box... so I'm hoping someone can tell me what it is just by the location and description.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.