Nissan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 11 Posts

· Banned
5,869 Posts
Mine has the same problem. Basically you have you pull up the carpet in the back, find the cable going to the fuel door (not hard to do) and pull it. Get as close as you can to that side.

· Banned
5,869 Posts
mpw991 said:
just make sure you get a cable from the same model car you have. coupe and 2+2 are different lengths. i had the same problem on my 86. i fixed it with 3 zip ties. one goin around the plastic end of the cable and the other 2 going through that loop and around the metal holder thing. if you need some pics i can shoot some tomorrow.
Yes, do that please. This might be a sticky since a lot of us either have had or will have this problem........

· Banned
5,869 Posts
mpw991 said:

There are 2 zip ties used. One goes around the plastic piece that is molded to the protective cover of the cable. The second goes through the first zip tie like the links on a chain and around the metal arm. I put some pliers on them to get them super tight. I would also recommend lubing up the latch on the fuel door also if it is kinda sluggish just to make for a smooth release. I hope this works for you guys!
Take a larger pic of the whole area too, so we can see the location. Honestly, that could be anywhere in my trunk........;)

· Banned
5,869 Posts
Yeah, now I know exactly where that is, but why when you pull the lever the fuel door does not open still escapes me. Is it because the whole cable moves, housing and all, as such doing no pulling work, or what......

· Banned
5,869 Posts
JAMESZ said:
Somewhere on Z31.com there is an entire thing about this problem and a fix. Or there was...I might search tomorrow for it real quick.
I couldn't find it. Be my guest. I'll sticky this if you don't find anything.

EDIT: Actually, I will anyway. This could prove useful, whether you find a link or not.

· Banned
5,869 Posts
mpw991 said:
It you look at the picture of the cable close up there is a piece of plastic in between the metal swing arm and the bottom half of the cable. This little circle of plastic was originally part of the upper section of the cable. It was connected to the molded plastic part at the of the protective covering for the cable. What happens when you push on the fuel door release is the protective cover is pulled to the front of the car and the piece of plastic that once used to be connected to it pulls on the metal swing arm. This then pulls on the cable to the right and opens the fuel door. When the plastic part breaks away from the rest of the cable there is nothing to pull on the metal swing arm anymore, thus the fuel door doesnt open. I hope this explaniation is clear enough. Later today when I get back to my desktop I will highlight the plastic piece and work with the picture a little to make it a little clearer. On how the motions actually work.
Cool thanks, good explanation. :thumbup:

· Banned
5,869 Posts
slicked25 said:
The plastic ties was a good idea and works great opening the fuel door but for some reason my dome light wouldn't go out. The light of the dash says the doors are open. I took the ties off and the light went out but I was back to square one. Is there a certain way or trick to this?
That's a very odd problem. There may have been tension on the hatch release, which will set off the dome light and possibly the door ajar sign too. You might have had the zip ties too tight or not quite in the right place. Might want to do some experimenting. Get a bundle bag of zip ties and go to town..... :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.