Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

When I went to get gas this morning on my '88 Z the fuel door would not open...when I press the lever inside I hear a click but the door will not release.

How do I get it open?

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Mine has the same problem. Basically you have you pull up the carpet in the back, find the cable going to the fuel door (not hard to do) and pull it. Get as close as you can to that side.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
or you can just grab it right behind the door where the spare tire is supposed to be if you don't have one.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
SKD_Tech said:
or you can just grab it right behind the door where the spare tire is supposed to be if you don't have one.
That's what I just said, pretty much......... ;)

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Well there is no carpet there so I thoght you may be talking about a different place. Or at least there is none on mine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I pull the cable the fuel door works.....so what is the problem with it? Just the handle or is it seized???

The hatch works perfect though and it's on the same handle, down for fuel and up for hatch.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
I think probably one of the cable holders is broken, so the whole thing moves instead of just the wire inside. That's my best guess, anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Broken Fuel Door

Have a friend pull on the door slightly while you push on the lever to release the door. If your friend can open the door easily then you have a broken spring. Otherwise the latch is busted. I had both problems. a trip to the junkyard would help, you can use the parts from any years of the Z31.

Good luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
trong_l said:
Have a friend pull on the door slightly while you push on the lever to release the door. If your friend can open the door easily then you have a broken spring. Otherwise the latch is busted. I had both problems. a trip to the junkyard would help, you can use the parts from any years of the Z31.

Good luck.
just make sure you get a cable from the same model car you have. coupe and 2+2 are different lengths. i had the same problem on my 86. i fixed it with 3 zip ties. one goin around the plastic end of the cable and the other 2 going through that loop and around the metal holder thing. if you need some pics i can shoot some tomorrow.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
mpw991 said:
just make sure you get a cable from the same model car you have. coupe and 2+2 are different lengths. i had the same problem on my 86. i fixed it with 3 zip ties. one goin around the plastic end of the cable and the other 2 going through that loop and around the metal holder thing. if you need some pics i can shoot some tomorrow.
Yes, do that please. This might be a sticky since a lot of us either have had or will have this problem........

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes, do that please. This might be a sticky since a lot of us either have had or will have this problem........
Sorry guys I have not forgoten about the picture of the fuel door fix. I went to take the picture tonight and all 4 sets of batteries I tried were dead. The batteries will be juiced tomorrow and I will shoot the pic in the morning and get it posted asap!!! Once again I apoligize for the delay!!

·
Registered
85 Posts

There are 2 zip ties used. One goes around the plastic piece that is molded to the protective cover of the cable. The second goes through the first zip tie like the links on a chain and around the metal arm. I put some pliers on them to get them super tight. I would also recommend lubing up the latch on the fuel door also if it is kinda sluggish just to make for a smooth release. I hope this works for you guys!

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
mpw991 said:

There are 2 zip ties used. One goes around the plastic piece that is molded to the protective cover of the cable. The second goes through the first zip tie like the links on a chain and around the metal arm. I put some pliers on them to get them super tight. I would also recommend lubing up the latch on the fuel door also if it is kinda sluggish just to make for a smooth release. I hope this works for you guys!
Take a larger pic of the whole area too, so we can see the location. Honestly, that could be anywhere in my trunk........;)

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
Somewhere on Z31.com there is an entire thing about this problem and a fix. Or there was...I might search tomorrow for it real quick.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Yeah, now I know exactly where that is, but why when you pull the lever the fuel door does not open still escapes me. Is it because the whole cable moves, housing and all, as such doing no pulling work, or what......

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
JAMESZ said:
Somewhere on Z31.com there is an entire thing about this problem and a fix. Or there was...I might search tomorrow for it real quick.
I couldn't find it. Be my guest. I'll sticky this if you don't find anything.

EDIT: Actually, I will anyway. This could prove useful, whether you find a link or not.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah, now I know exactly where that is, but why when you pull the lever the fuel door does not open still escapes me. Is it because the whole cable moves, housing and all, as such doing no pulling work, or what......
It you look at the picture of the cable close up there is a piece of plastic in between the metal swing arm and the bottom half of the cable. This little circle of plastic was originally part of the upper section of the cable. It was connected to the molded plastic part at the of the protective covering for the cable. What happens when you push on the fuel door release is the protective cover is pulled to the front of the car and the piece of plastic that once used to be connected to it pulls on the metal swing arm. This then pulls on the cable to the right and opens the fuel door. When the plastic part breaks away from the rest of the cable there is nothing to pull on the metal swing arm anymore, thus the fuel door doesnt open. I hope this explaniation is clear enough. Later today when I get back to my desktop I will highlight the plastic piece and work with the picture a little to make it a little clearer. On how the motions actually work.

Reactions: Zen31ZR
1 - 20 of 30 Posts