Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what else to change except the whole Pathy :)
- 2001 XE
- 170 000 kms
- new tires (Goodyear Fortera), 35 psi
- oil changed every 3 months
- air filter changed last year
- replaced sparkplugs (put OEM ones, laser platinum, NGK)
- 92 octane gas
-----> Gas consumption (city) never goes below 17 lit/100 km (13.8 MPG US)
-----> Has consumption hwy is around 12 lit/100 (19 MPG)

Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
sound about right....look at what the Pathfinder is...it is a 4000lb+ (2000kg+) brick. it has a large displacement 3.5 V6 making decent numbers.

the weight and the aerodynamics kill any kind of economy.

the V6 Toureg is in a similar situation where the V8 T'reg actually would get 1 more mpg (14/18) than the V6 (13/17) - not sure what that is in L/100km, but the torque of the V8 would be able to propel the 5000lb (2500kg) T'reg easier than the 3.2L V6 could.

I'm sorry, but if you want better, you need to look elsewhere and, IMO, Nissan is not top on that list - car or truck.

·
Registered
310 Posts
try:

k&n drop in filter
38psi
synthetic oil (Amsoil)
87 octane (if applicable)
remove roof rack cross bars
fuel injector maintenance (flush) or try Seafoam cleaner

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
K03Sport: I am aware of the beast, but scrolling through the threads here and finding that some guys have a way better mileage makes me somewhat worried that there is something else with my truck...apparently that's it.
Didn't expect the Toureg to be in the same range (MPG) as Pathy...

Calimoxo2: Thanks for suggestions, I will try all of them. BTW, i used to put Lucas fuel injector every second fill-up, for about 2 months, saw no impovements, must be that the engine is clean, who knows.

·
Registered
43 Posts
leechanin: Sounds pretty decent to me. Are the tires 4-season M&S or AT?

What speed doth thou drive on the highway? Windows closed?

You could try cleaning out air intake throttle body and valves but I'm guessing that your pathie runs and idles pretty darn good.

Our solution? We park the pathie more often and walk, or bicycle.

Calimoxo2: Would 38psi versus 35psi make that much of difference?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I have Goodyear Fortera All Season, driving at 50-60 km/h (city).
But your solution is definitely the best :)
Ordered a high-flow filter (nano-fibers, no oil), will see and report back here.

·
Registered
277 Posts
As far as I'm concerned air filter-mpg thing is a myth in any card with a MAF sensor
Computer sees less air - gives less fuel

Don't go to high on the tire PSI (you max will be on the tire) My sticker says 26PSI, I run at 30-32 tire max says 35

Best MPG gains will be if you lay off the gas and avoid using the brakes as much as possible - I see a ~40-60 mile per tank diffrence by going smooth and using cruise when possible

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, I have Goodyear Fortera All Season, driving at 50-60 km/h (city).
I should shop alternatives to my Michelin LTX light truck tires. They are good but one probably pays a premium for the brand name.

I'm impressed with your city fuel efficiency (for an old pathie). Should I assume that you do NOT use air-conditioning?

I like Calimoxo2's suggestion of using synthetic oil given that you have probably covered most of the bases. May ultimately save you some time by reducing the frequency of oil changes. Though flushing the fuel injectors is controversial. Not familiar with Seafoam cleaner.

b67: My Michelin LTX light truck tires call for a maximum air pressure of 50 psi. I have no idea what you are driving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, westslope, I am in Vancouver and don't use air-conditioning, maybe few times this summer.

I went across the border (discounttire.com) to get the tires, paid $750, FountainTire here would have charged me ~$1200...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
- 2001 XE
- 170 000 kms
- 92 octane gas

Thanks.
Maybe the MAF sensor could use a cleaning and or some valve cleaner additive in your fuel?

Comparing to my 06 Pathfinder, your fuel consumption is heavier than my 4.0L, with 15.9L/100km. Hwy consumption looks good as I'd get 15.

Is it possible you're driving short distances with a bit of stop and go traffic? That would really kill fuel economy as I found that out with the 95 Pathfinder. Lots of stop and go with short distances while taking the kids to the park, pool and library.

·
Registered
279 Posts
2001 SE
Highflow muffler (Dynomax)
Highflow air filter (Apexi)

I get 16-17 around town and 22 on the highway.
Platinum plugs suck, try some copper NGKs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it possible you're driving short distances with a bit of stop and go traffic? That would really kill fuel economy as I found that out with the 95 Pathfinder. Lots of stop and go with short distances while taking the kids to the park, pool and library.
Yes, mostly, 60% of time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Winning combo

First and foremost never forget that you have a heavy vehicle that burns plenty getting up to speed. Ease off the gas and you'll immediately get better performance.

I'm not sure about the 3.5 Pathy's. The 4.0's recommend premium gas which will result in better mileage. You can run 87 without worrying too much. The computer will adjust your engine to compensate for the lower octane though you will lose 1 or 2 mpg.

K&N drop in filter is a must.

I also recommend a full synthetic motor oil. The higher cost is null since you don't need to get your oil changed as often. You'll see a noticeable increase in your mileage.

06 Pathy
Premium fuel
100% synthetic motor oil
K&N air filter
Leisurely acceleration and minimal breaking by not tailgating.
Always use cruise control on the freeway and never exceed 75mph.

19mpg city
26mpg hwy

I always run my AC.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Finally got around to punching in the numbers for 2008.

Average 14.8li/100km. Varies from 8li/100km going downhill to over 20li/100km going up hill loaded and carrying a 16 foot canoe.

Appears to get ~12li/100km on flat highway unloaded.

It sucks. But have only driven 8,560km year-to-date, which is roughly 50% less than usual.

Other data of possible interest: Michelin LTX 6-ply M&S tires filled to 36psi, or more; Mobil 1 10W30 synthetic motor oil for older vehicles; have dropped average highway speeds to 95-100km/hr from 110-115km/hr.

Frequently use the air-conditioning, especially during cool, humid winter conditions.

Prefer cruise control but congestion, construction, and tight curves often limit its use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
- 2001 XE
- 170 000 kms
- 92 octane gas

Thanks.
Update:
- replaced air filter with Wix nanofiber air filter, 16.1 lit/100 km

will have to do 2-3 additional measurements to get better idea

·
Registered
43 Posts
.... Ease off the gas and you'll immediately get better performance.
I read somewhere recently that in order to minimize fuel consumption, one should accelerate smartly to cruising speed, maintain a low, stable cruising speed and avoid, if possible, frequent braking.

Just for discussion: I have a young engineer-trained friend who claims that one should coast in gear because less fuel is consumed than coasting in neutral. Thoughts?

·
Registered
422 Posts
97 Pathfinder on 265/65R17's (31.5" vs. the stock ~30") and after calculating for error I get about 16 city and 22 or so on the highway...I couldnt be much more thrilled with those numbers considering I havent even gotten my intake yet. Exhaust will gain you more hp and mileage but can kill torque, so not in my plans.

The switch to full synthetic made a world of difference in how smooth my engine is in accelerating and a slight mileage increase. If you do not have allmode consider manual hubs as well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I read somewhere recently that in order to minimize fuel consumption, one should accelerate smartly to cruising speed, maintain a low, stable cruising speed and avoid, if possible, frequent braking.

Just for discussion: I have a young engineer-trained friend who claims that one should coast in gear because less fuel is consumed than coasting in neutral. Thoughts?
Sounds like your friend is "hypermiling." Some of the methods they recommend are good and work well but in my opinion neutral isn't always a good method of coasting if anything for safety sake unless you drive a manual. If you have to make an emergency maneuver you won't be able to do so until you get into gear so your potential for an accident is higher. Keep it in gear if you have passengers. You owe it to them.

When shooting for better fuel economy it's all about RPM's. The less effort your engine is making the less fuel you're burning. Next time you get a good coast going take a look at your RPM's then shift into neutral and see how much it changes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
V6 vs V8 Fuel Economy

I am looking to purchase a new 2008 Pathfinder and have to decide on the V6 or the V8. Everything I've read places the V6 slightly better than the V8 in terms of fuel efficiency, which would be obvious. I will be using the vehicle to occasionally tow a 23' travel trailer, weighing ~5000 lb loaded. I was originally looking at the V8 for it's torque and tow capacity over the V6 (388 lb-ft/7000 lb vs 288 lb-ft / 6000 lb) but, like most people, am concerned about fuel economy. For the most part, this will be driven by my wife around the City. I've read the numbers and am leaning towards the V6 but at the end of the day, I would like to know if there are any V8 owners who can pass along some stats. Or, if you know about these engines and reliability, economy, etc, I'd like to know as well.

Cheers!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am looking to purchase a new 2008 Pathfinder and have to decide on the V6 or the V8. Everything I've read places the V6 slightly better than the V8 in terms of fuel efficiency, which would be obvious. I will be using the vehicle to occasionally tow a 23' travel trailer, weighing ~5000 lb loaded. I was originally looking at the V8 for it's torque and tow capacity over the V6 (388 lb-ft/7000 lb vs 288 lb-ft / 6000 lb) but, like most people, am concerned about fuel economy. For the most part, this will be driven by my wife around the City. I've read the numbers and am leaning towards the V6 but at the end of the day, I would like to know if there are any V8 owners who can pass along some stats. Or, if you know about these engines and reliability, economy, etc, I'd like to know as well.

Cheers!
Both engines are quite reliable if you take care of them. The V6 and V8 both perform very well on the highway as long as you set your cruise control and run the recommended premium fuel. You lose 1 or 2 mpg on 87 but it doesn't hurt your engine at all. Around town is where the Pathfinder tends to draw gripes. It's a heavy truck so getting to speed after a stop is going to burn some gas. Keep the revs under 2500 and you'll see a benefit of about 18 mpg on premium in the V6. When I switch to 87 i get about 15 around town.

The V8 on the other hand is a very thirsty engine. Running the recommended premium fuel and keeping it at or around 75 on the highway can get you about 19 mpg. Still not too bad for an SUV unless you consider the Tahoe which can swing 20 if you drive like a grandma. Around town you can expect about 12 to 14 mpg. Once again you have a heavy truck that now has a heavier engine.

These figures are for RWD models. The 4WD will lose about 1 mpg for both city and highway.

If you're pulling 5000lbs the V6 Pathy will be more than sufficient. I know many people that pull more than the 6000lb max that is recommended. They do so with inexpensive upgrades like a cold air intake and a full synthetic motor oil. Don't touch the exhaust. The stock is more than adequate. If there was a better set of pipes to put on it then Nissan would have done so. The downside to these upgrades is that you'll find yourself tempted to step on it and embarrass whoever wants to drag with you.

To sum it all up. The V6 is the way to go especially if it will be used more as a daily driver.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts