Nissan Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I will challenge this idea that WD-40 is incompatible with rubber, although that is a very commonly seen claim. The composition of WD-40 has always been a trade secret, and there are now some varieties of WD-40 that differ a little in their composition, but you can figure out what is in it fairly well by viewing the MSDS sheet, although it is helpful if you have some basic organic chemistry knowledge. First of all, the confusion about 'petroleum distillates' should be addressed. Johnson's Baby Oil is essentially mineral oil, which is a petroleum distillate. In fact some of the components of WD-40 are the same as in Baby Oil. WD-40 does contain a range of boiling points of the same fundamental chemical group. It also includes in its formula some or all of the chemicals in Stoddard Solvent, AKA Varsol. There are some rubbers that can swell slightly when constantly exposed to WD-40, that is true, but that is not how you would normally use it. In fact you will find people recommending WD-40 treatment for some automotive rubbers that have suffered aging degradation. Because WD-40 was actually invented as a "water displacer" (in fact originally to protect missiles in missile silos from corrosion) it would be an obvious protect to treat the internal parts of the XTrail door opening and locking mechanisms from the annoying problem of freezing, if you can get to them. And it actually would be better than standard lubricants for that purpose.
what do you think about Jig-a Loo? i just bought a can at Canadian Tire today. I was previously using it at the auto glass shop i worked at in 2021. Worked nicely for automotive uses. Bonus is that it doesn't stink as much as the WD40.
I used the Jig-a-loo at home on the window tracks, glass patio door track, the door locks/keyholes.
Then i read that it is a good water repellant on hiking boots so i took an old pair of hikers and went Jig-a-loo -hoo hoo hoo on them.
Currently going thru a 3 day heavy rain ''event''. Arghhhhh.
Font Pattern Electric blue Circle

CTV News Vancouver
Metro Vancouver weather: Atmospheric river with up to 100 mm of rain coming | CTV News
Liquid Fluid Material property Drink Personal care

·
Registered
39 Posts
what do you think about Jig-a Loo? i just bought a can at Canadian Tire today. I was previously using it at the auto glass shop i worked at in 2021. Worked nicely for automotive uses. Bonus is that it doesn't stink as much as the WD40.
I used the Jig-a-loo at home on the window tracks, glass patio door track, the door locks/keyholes.
Then i read that it is a good water repellant on hiking boots so i took an old pair of hikers and went Jig-a-loo -hoo hoo hoo on them.
Currently going thru a 3 day heavy rain ''event''. Arghhhhh.
View attachment 8107
CTV News Vancouver
Metro Vancouver weather: Atmospheric river with up to 100 mm of rain coming | CTV News
View attachment 8108
From what I can tell Jig-A-Loo is a good product. My reply was directed at possible misconceptions about WD-40. Certainly a silicone-based product like Jig-A-Loo is a smarter product to use specifically on rubber for several reasons. I'm not sure that it would be any better than WD-40 for trying to coat the various linkages, etc. in the XTrail doors to try to prevent moisture getting on or into the various lock and door-opening parts and then freezing in cold snaps. I have many lubricants and penetrating oil-like products and I do have 3-in-1 silicone lubricant. I have found that silicone lubricants are not necessarily better as lubricants than the petroleum-based ones but they are true lubricants, which WD-40 really isn't, even by design. WD-40 will 'dry' to leave a thin moisture-repelling film on metal or hard plastic parts but it is not a substitute for a proper lubricant, although some people seem to think it is.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
From what I can tell Jig-A-Loo is a good product. My reply was directed at possible misconceptions about WD-40. Certainly a silicone-based product like Jig-A-Loo is a smarter product to use specifically on rubber for several reasons. I'm not sure that it would be any better than WD-40 for trying to coat the various linkages, etc. in the XTrail doors to try to prevent moisture getting on or into the various lock and door-opening parts and then freezing in cold snaps. I have many lubricants and penetrating oil-like products and I do have 3-in-1 silicone lubricant. I have found that silicone lubricants are not necessarily better as lubricants than the petroleum-based ones but they are true lubricants, which WD-40 really isn't, even by design. WD-40 will 'dry' to leave a thin moisture-repelling film on metal or hard plastic parts but it is not a substitute for a proper lubricant, although some people seem to think it is.
Ya, i used to buy wd40 , especially when on sale, but i do also think that it is not the best lubricant for everything. I think the fan club that adores this stuff is full of caca.
Just overhyped marketing, trying to promote it as a wonder lube that will rust penetrate, lube parts, fish lure, waterproof your boots and umbrella and if you add a few squirts to your cornflakes, will make you grow an extra 6 inches in height. Or grow hair.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts