Nissan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07 pathfinder
drivers side window stopped working with window half way down. I have taken the master door switch out and apart dried it out reassembled and it didn’t change anything. About same time passenger front window started intermittently not working. It came down and after several different attempts with both switches finally got it up. At that time everything worked but drivers window. When I hit the switch it would make a small click so figured it was motor. Took door apart and ordered new motor and rail but got the 2 pin and my mine is six pin. Ordered just motor and installed it. Now both windows will not work and door lock buttons on both sides don’t work. The back windows still roll down and up fine. Have a new driver side switch and the new one does same as the old one. I have looked at fuses but it doesn’t appear as bad. What is causing this issue where the front is not working but back windows are not affected?
Originally posted in the other pathfinder forum for newer pathfinders. I have disconnected the battery for over an hour and rebooked and no different results.

· Registered
3,822 Posts
The front windows both have encoders and the two front switches and BCM all talk to one another on a bit-bang LIN link. The rear windows are both "dumb" motors driven directly by switches. The system power comes out of the BCM and not directly through fuses, so it sounds like the system has RAP power to work the motors but not main battery power for the switch CPU's. Check for power at the blue wire on the 3-pin connector, if there isn't any then chances are the BCM is causing your issue and not the window system itself.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The front windows both have encoders and the two front switches and BCM all talk to one another on a bit-bang LIN link. The rear windows are both "dumb" motors driven directly by switches. The system power comes out of the BCM and not directly through fuses, so it sounds like the system has RAP power to work the motors but not main battery power for the switch CPU's. Check for power at the blue wire on the 3-pin connector, if there isn't any then chances are the BCM is causing your issue and not the window system itself.
Thanks for the reply had to look up some of what you are talking about but get the gist of it. What 3-pin connector are you referring to? I assume the power door locks are involved in this system as well. Where is the bcm on the 07 pathfinder?

· Registered
3,822 Posts
Thanks for the reply had to look up some of what you are talking about but get the gist of it. What 3-pin connector are you referring to? I assume the power door locks are involved in this system as well. Where is the bcm on the 07 pathfinder?
There are two connectors on the master window switch, an (I think) 18-position and a 3-position. Been awhile since I worked on one, but as I recall the BCM is above the driver's right foot.

· Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
8,651 Posts
07 pathfinder
drivers side window stopped working with window half way down. I have taken the master door switch out and apart dried it out reassembled and it didn’t change anything. About same time passenger front window started intermittently not working. It came down and after several different attempts with both switches finally got it up. At that time everything worked but drivers window. When I hit the switch it would make a small click so figured it was motor. Took door apart and ordered new motor and rail but got the 2 pin and my mine is six pin. Ordered just motor and installed it. Now both windows will not work and door lock buttons on both sides don’t work. The back windows still roll down and up fine. Have a new driver side switch and the new one does same as the old one. I have looked at fuses but it doesn’t appear as bad. What is causing this issue where the front is not working but back windows are not affected?
Originally posted in the other pathfinder forum for newer pathfinders. I have disconnected the battery for over an hour and rebooked and no different results.
Have you tried the "initialize the power window switch" procedure as outlined in the "owner's manual":

When the automatic operation for the power window switch does not operate.
If the automatic operation does not operate properly, perform the following procedure to initialize
the power window switch.

1. Place the ignition switch in the ON position.

2. Press and hold the driver’s window switch
down until the window opens completely.

3. Release the switch.

4. Pull and hold the driver’s window switch up
to the second detent until the window glass
has reached the full close position. Con-
tinue to hold the window switch in the
up position for 5 seconds after the win-
dow glass has reached the full close
position. (It is necessary for this entire step
to be completed with one continuous pull of
the window switch.)

5. Release the switch.

Initialization is now complete. The automatic op-
eration for the power window switch should now
operate.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
07 pathfinder
I ended up taking my pathfinder to a shop I didn’t have the time to keep diagnosing with everything else going on. They couldn’t pull any of the codes and said it needed to go to the dealer, from talking with them they couldn’t get codes pulled either but went about troubleshooting and trying other parts to see if it would work. Originally said the master switch was part of the problem and the aftermarket part I ordered was defective(Nissan part was $400 more expensive) had to order it and called me next day, the ‘Nissan’ master switch did the same exact thing.(at least I didn’t have to end up buying it). Now said it was probably BCM but had to order one of those as well. The BCM is located under the arm rest between front seats. When they were getting to the BCM ran across a burnt/shorted wire that had fried the BCM. That fixed the issue. I think this started as a motor issue and somewhere in process BCM was fried I faintly remember smelling a little bit of electric burn after window was stuck half way down.

· Registered
3,822 Posts
I ended up taking my pathfinder to a shop I didn’t have the time to keep diagnosing with everything else going on. They couldn’t pull any of the codes and said it needed to go to the dealer, from talking with them they couldn’t get codes pulled either but went about troubleshooting and trying other parts to see if it would work. Originally said the master switch was part of the problem and the aftermarket part I ordered was defective(Nissan part was $400 more expensive) had to order it and called me next day, the ‘Nissan’ master switch did the same exact thing.(at least I didn’t have to end up buying it). Now said it was probably BCM but had to order one of those as well. The BCM is located under the arm rest between front seats. When they were getting to the BCM ran across a burnt/shorted wire that had fried the BCM. That fixed the issue. I think this started as a motor issue and somewhere in process BCM was fried I faintly remember smelling a little bit of electric burn after window was stuck half way down.
On older vehicles, it's not unusual for the wires inside the flex coupling between the door and body to fail from fatigue. That's probably where they found your short. Those wires basically have to coil and uncoil every time the door is opened, so they're always a likely failure point, especially the driver's door. Zapping the BCM that way isn't unusual either, many times the circuit board traces on the "power saver" line will fry faster than the fuse or breaker can save them. Sad that it ended up being costly, but glad you got it straightened away!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.