Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 GXE and will be getting a drift front bumper and I have seen some of these front mount intakes. I currently have a CAI from HotShot which I really love and you can dramatically feel the difference over the POP charger I had and the way it drove stock. I just like that look of the intake in the front, I will be putting mesh behind the drift front so the filter shouldnt be so dirty.

I realize no one makes such an intake for my sentra but would be willing to go and get the mandrel bent tubing to accomplish this. Will I get more HP gain then with the HS CAI??

I need and want some feedback on this idea.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Is there a hole in the bumper on the new front so that air will still get to the CAI pretty well? If so I wouldn't bother with additional piping, not to mention that piping length plays a factor and I'm not sure how longer piping would effect the CAI, negatively or positively.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
Teknokid said:
Well the drift front does have an opening where the CAI would be so I guess it would work. I just liked the look of the front mount filter.
I have a feeling it will block the air to the radiator.

Mike

G

·
0 Posts
Yeah. The longer the pipe just means the cold air will have longer to travel. Plus blocking the radiator that much isn't a great idea. The cooler the engine the better it runs.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All very good points, but allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment,

What if I use water wetter which is proven to cool temps up to 20 degrees and some sort of cooler of cooler to help it run even cooler temps but not too low.

·
Registered
553 Posts
It was my understanding that longer intake tubing would increase the velocity of the cold air into the engine.

The main factors they way I remember being told are :

(1) Colder air.
(2) Very little bends if any (make 'em mandrel bent
(3) No more than 2.5"-3" wide piping to see significant improvement
(4) The longer the piping, the greater the velocity. The shorter the piping, the lesser the velocity.

I do agree though, that the FMF would block air to the radiatior. how big is the FMF though, versus how big of an opening to the radiator? Is there still enough room around the FMF to flow to the radiator?

·
Registered
138 Posts
keep the CAI. IMO the front mount intake looks like a wannabe intercooler, but thats my two cents.

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
snkee200sx said:
keep the CAI. IMO the front mount intake looks like a wannabe intercooler, but thats my two cents.
most domestic guys will think that it is an intercooler..personal experience :rolleyes:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Katana200sx said:
most domestic guys will think that it is an intercooler..personal experience :rolleyes:
lol I know of this one domestic guy who thought my radiator was some sort of intercooler. I'm like I wish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts